Blackmagic to release new 'unified' firmware update for all cameras

Andrew Reid

Gee - audio meters, battery level indicators, histograms, in-camera formatting - those all sound like welcome improvements to me. Actually, I prefer to format my cards in camera: does that make me a communist, too? And thank goodness we're not in the BM forum right now.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I also prefer to format my cards in camera, not with the computer.

Why?

Where is the advantage?

I wish there was a proprietary card structure like with almost any other camera.

This would allow me to make the backup of the footage reviewing it with FCP X, set in-points and out-points, skim vertically over all clips and copy just what I deem usable. With just clips on the root level of a dumb volume I am condemned to scroll clipwise and either copy the whole clip or nothing.

(EDIT: But perhaps I misunderstood 'formatting in camera'  :unsure: . Does it mean exactly what I ask for? Then yeah, awesome!)

BTW: How is that with Prelude? Given that the new CC version can play back compressed DNG directly within Premiere. If I could log or tag directly prior to import without camera card structure, in fact prior to backup, this was indeed a huge advantage.

Can you describe an occasion where this would come in handy? Like, you had time to backup your recorded footage via a computer but just forgot to format the card with it afterwards? I just don't get the importance of that request.

Regardless of incremental improvements, you either see the mere existence of such cameras as a step in the right direction or you better keep clear of them altogether.  If there are, say, fifty major issues with them for anyone who is used to traditional camcorders, taking away two or three of them is a drop in the ocean. 

The critics on the BM forum call the defenders 'fanboys' - as if they had a distorted perception. I say, it's good to ask for improvements, but nothing stops you to shoot with the cameras now. Nothing but a mental malfunction.

I don't know why you're suddenly spewing vitriolic around, like some nutcases from other forums, but, YES, I do format my card in-camera, cause sometimes its faster, and sometimes, I do forget to do it on a laptop. 

I hope the answer did not disappoint you.

I don't know why you're suddenly spewing vitriolic around, like some nutcases from other forums, but, YES, I do format my card in-camera, cause sometimes its faster, and sometimes, I do forget to do it on a laptop. 

I hope the answer did not disappoint you.

+1 I do hope we can keep on topic and not attack others because of their opinions about the implementation of features on what is, after all, just a camera :) 

The critics on the BM forum call the defenders 'fanboys' - as if they had a distorted perception. I say, it's good to ask for improvements, but nothing stops you to shoot with the cameras now. Nothing but a mental malfunction.

It's more or less the same in any other off-mainstream brand forum, be it about cameras or other devices. For some "critics" it is apparently impossible to grasp that some people might even like using the quirky and unusual devices despite all the shortcomings, and by doing so they are not a threat to anyone with a healthy state of mind. I'm not a BM user and therefore I don't follow the BM forums regularly, but I know how it's like. I think the only feasible solution is to just ignore the rabid lemmings, the noisiest "critics." 

Great, improved Proress quality, hope the softness problems are gone. I'm still on a project with the PMPCC's. Saturday the last of 10 days shooting. To keep the image consistant and saving myself trouble i'm updating after that day. Can't wait for it. Wanted to sell it when the project is done but I think I keep an hold on it.

For the people that have the 'beta-version' from yesterday's leak installed: It is in fact bit-by-bit the same release. If the updater says something like 'camera already up to date' even though it did not update - don't worry, it's still good :)

Curious how this update affects the BMPCC in the context of what lenses I can use, specifically with wide angle options in mind. 

Among the AF and other updates BM mention "additional MFT active lens support." Whatever that really means in practical terms. Surely we'll find out later on. Got to admit the new update has sort of made me a bit more BMPCC-curious than before.

...found it.

It only activates OIS when actually recording.

Having the small 14-42PZ pancake fold up properly AND enable OIS makes this a camera+lens combination that fits your pocket and doesn't draw any attention AT ALL.

You look just like a tourist with a cheap pocket camera and people behave normally.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Quirky. I wasn't referring to your contributions at all. :(

You were referring to mine. And I wasn't referring to your need to format in camera (it's probable I misunderstood the whole importance of it). I didn't mean you by describing the critics at BM forum (as jerks). Over months they lament about the way BM ignores their customers, and the very day the update arrives they again find only negativ aspects. Imo the very good new BMCC ProRes images alone justify to have faith in BMs integrity. Those who don't deserve a new crippled CanSon every other year.

Excuse misunderstandings. I wasn't attacking anyone in this forum.

Where is the advantage?

So you have a camera.

And you have a card.

All you need in theory...

But wait, you have no computer with you?

Shit out of luck then.

Personally I'd love not to need to carry a computer with me for every shoot, or being able to buy an extra hard drive if I need one and use it straight away to shoot more stuff, is it that hard to understand?

You were referring to mine. And I wasn't referring to your need to format in camera (it's probable I misunderstood the whole importance of it). I didn't mean you by describing the critics at BM forum (as jerks). Over months they lament about the way BM ignores their customers, and the very day the update arrives they again find only negativ aspects. Imo the very good new BMCC ProRes images alone justify to have faith in BMs integrity. Those who don't deserve a new crippled CanSon every other year.

Excuse misunderstandings. I wasn't attacking anyone in this forum.

The only reason I prefer formatting my cards in camera is because I believe I read somewhere regarding another camera I no longer even own, that there was less likelihood of a mishap, so I continue to do the same with all of my other cameras once I've imported the files on my computer. And while I believe everyone here already knows I'm not rushing out to buy one, I have to confess that the overwhelming number of beautiful videos I've seen so far have been shot with 'crippled' Canons. Concerning other gear-oriented forums, the reason I don't read them anymore is because of the unnecessarily aggressive tone of many of the posts, and moderators don't seem to care. I do realize how annoying it can be to watch ignorant people lashing out at camera manufacturers, but nobody is doing that here. Remember, we're just discussing camera features, on a camera that represents half-a-year's salary for most of the people living here.

The only reason I prefer formatting my cards in camera is because I believe I read somewhere regarding another camera I no longer even own, that there was less likelihood of a mishap, so I continue to do the same with all of my other cameras once I've imported the files on my computer.

BM stated a while ago, that the problem with deleting single clips in camera was the risk of fragmentation, which particularly affected  videos with high data rates, therefore they would never implement it. So if the only way to go is to format the whole volume, you need to save your footage before you erase it. With a computer, no? Personally, I find the routine of copying and then wiping the card a good habit, but I don't want to argue on that anymore. Petty in the Vimeo clip announcing 1.8 looks as if he needed some sleep, I just imagine him and his little crew (BM is a very small company) working on the (for me) wrong priorities.

...  they again find only negativ aspects. Imo the very good new BMCC ProRes images alone justify to have faith in BMs integrity. Those who don't deserve a new crippled CanSon every other year.

And while I believe everyone here already knows I'm not rushing out to buy one, I have to confess that the overwhelming number of beautiful videos I've seen so far have been shot with 'crippled' Canons. 

Please don't be so grim. It was meant ironically. Those BM forum members complained how little response they got from BM and stated that Canon and Sony saw better to the needs of their customers. With my - believe it or not - high sensitivity for fairness I find such remarks stupid beyond comprehension. With my limited english, I took in the term 'crippled' in conjunction with Canons policy from this very forum. I believe it was Andrew himself who introduced it in an article.

I agree: The most overwhelming shots are Canon shots, just visit the screening room and see Brandon Lis 5D M3 videos. Of course (is it inadequate to say this? Then I apologize in advance) this is due not mainly to Canons determination to deliver the best possible product at an affordable price to their customers, it's mainly because the heroes at MagicLantern took this 2-year-old camera and unleashed it's possibilities. Yes, get this: The M3 is out longer (March 2012) than any of the BM cameras (BMCC was first delivered in small quantities in September 2012). 

Concerning other gear-oriented forums, the reason I don't read them anymore is because of the unnecessarily aggressive tone of many of the posts, and moderators don't seem to care. I do realize how annoying it can be to watch ignorant people lashing out at camera manufacturers, but nobody is doing that here. Remember, we're just discussing camera features, on a camera that represents half-a-year's salary for most of the people living here.

Absolutely. I wasn't aware my tone was aggressive, I don't see where I attacked any of the EOSHD members, but if you feel adressed I apologize. 

Of course (is it inadequate to say this? Then I apologize in advance) this is due not mainly to Canons determination to deliver the best possible product at an affordable price to their customers, it's mainly because the heroes at MagicLantern took this 2-year-old camera and unleashed it's possibilities. . 

I disagree. I think his videos wouldn't look substantially worse without RAW. I think it is indeed Canon that should be mainly credited for making a hardware product that allows you complete freedom in almost any lighting environment due to low light sensor, battery life that simply lets you work and not miss shots, ruggedness of body and a stable of lenses that can achieve any look without breaking your bank.

The best tool is the one you don't notice. Canon achieved this better than anybody else so far. I may hate their marketing department, but God bless their engineers for giving us an amazing creative new cinema tool and jump-starting the DSLR Cinema industry.