Blackmagic to release new 'unified' firmware update for all cameras

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Blackmagic Cinema Camera ReWo cage

Blackmagic firmware Version 1.8 is set to be released for all cameras simultaneously. The good news is that the work to create a unified firmware seems to be done. This was the work which for so long was getting in the way of Blackmagic adding new features to their cameras (like histograms). From now on we could be seeing some more regular and more exciting updates.

Straight off the bat with 1.8 there's a lot of new additions like 4K raw on the Production Camera and a new user interface for all cameras.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

With a nicer new user interface and after that them releasing all the little upgrades needed, these can be smashing cameras again. Perhaps best in the indie filmmaking market.

It was a shame seeing such great products wasted.

Not yet. Seems to have been a shot in the dark. Accidently published a beta version too soon?

A histogram would be very good.

As others have pointed out, instead of changing the design of the menu, they should have rearranged the order, like putting WB and ISO on top. Can't be hard to change this ...

I installed the 1.8 update on my BMCC before they took it down. Seems to work great, a little unsettling that they took it down though, but works perfectly so far. The best part is that the image quality improved a lot, with the new debayering! No more aliasing. Here are some comparison images. All pictures are a 300% crop.

1.7 debayer:'>

new 1.8 debayer: '>
1.7 ISO 1600: '>

new 1.8 ISO 1600: '>

:D

The best part is that the image quality improved a lot, with the new debayering! No more aliasing.

:D

This is BMCC only, yes?

Man, they should try to reduce aliasing (moire) of the BMPCC! Makes me jealous.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The firmware doesn't have many new features, it's meant to make adding these features easier later. BM say this firmware contains hooks for histogram and audio meters. Also say formatting cards in camera is coming. 

The annoying Iris change is gone, better debayering, raw 4K, etc. 

This is the day Blackmagic cameras transform from prototypes to actual production cameras. It's GREAT news!

The firmware doesn't have many new features, it's meant to make adding these features easier later. BM say this firmware contains hooks for histogram and audio meters. Also say formatting cards in camera is coming. 

The annoying Iris change is gone, better debayering, raw 4K, etc. 

This is the day Blackmagic cameras transform from prototypes to actual production cameras. It's GREAT news!

I agree, I was amazed by the footage of my BMCC before and with the new update, image quality has improved so much I'm more amazed than before! Really didn't think BM could enhance the image quality that much more. :D 

Wow, I actually am very excited, I'm sure like many other people here, we didn't buy this cameras because of all the problems, but now BM seem to be going to the right direction, something they should've done a long time ago though. Anyway better late than never, I just hope the other updates are going to arrive soon.

Now I might just reconsider buying a BM camera :)

Losslessly compressed RAW DNG recording support whart does this mean its not full raw? I am still wating to get 4 k cam next summer just wating and watching

I believe it's similar to what FLAC or Apple LossLess does for audio. Smaller filesize without any loss in visual quality. So you get the full benefits of RAW with a smaller size. Correct me if wrong..

No sound metre, and no battery indicator? I just read above that formatting in camera is coming. That's possibly the best update so far. 

Can you describe an occasion where this would come in handy? Like, you had time to backup your recorded footage via a computer but just forgot to format the card with it afterwards? I just don't get the importance of that request.

Wow, I actually am very excited, I'm sure like many other people here, we didn't buy this cameras because of all the problems, but now BM seem to be going to the right direction, something they should've done a long time ago though.

Regardless of incremental improvements, you either see the mere existence of such cameras as a step in the right direction or you better keep clear of them altogether.  If there are, say, fifty major issues with them for anyone who is used to traditional camcorders, taking away two or three of them is a drop in the ocean. 

The critics on the BM forum call the defenders 'fanboys' - as if they had a distorted perception. I say, it's good to ask for improvements, but nothing stops you to shoot with the cameras now. Nothing but a mental malfunction.