Metabones Speed Booster for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Mount - Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Edition

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
speed-booster-1

speed-booster-2

Along with Philip Bloom and James Miller I have been testing a beta of the first Micro Four Thirds mount Smart EF adapter with Speed Booster from Metabones. Now the final version is available and it will start shipping end of June for $659 at the Metabones site. This version to be released imminently is designed ONLY to fit the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

This has the lovely 0.58x glass which turns the 3x crop Blackmagic sensor into a much nicer 1.74x crop, approaching the Super 35mm standard size for cinema.

James has shot some rather lovely footage with it. Do check that out at Philip's evil rival site to mine :)

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's pretty awesome news for canon lens owners. 

Now I'm not one of those people anymore, but it does raise a question: Does this mean that Metabones is now capable of releasing other powered speedboosters? (within the near future, not immediatly of course) For example, MFT/BMPCC to Nikon? I'd love to be able to switch on the lens stabilization on my nikon mount lenses!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I would have developed the more general EF-M43 adapter before the niche, very specific, small market bmpcc one. We really do need an EF to M43 speedbooster. We've waited long enough. 

Andrew, what are the downsides exactly for mounting this on the GH4 when using E-shtter mode?

It seems to work brilliantly in your videos, giving the APS-H crop + Stabilization + aperture control to EF lenses. 

I wouldn't  mind removing my shutter completely if that's what it takes. Never use it. Dont mind a little vignette either  ;)

I really hope they release an EF to MFT electrical adapter at the same time with upgraded electronics and broad lens compability.

This development process has been very long one. I'm personally more interested in the compability of the third party canon mount lenses. I dont value the Canon glass that higly these days. After all there is no 30-36Mpix Canon FF body yet. We dont really know how far the Canon L lens resolution goes vs Nikon & Sigma lenses on the D800e.

Panasonic should really up the ante on the PRO lens development front. We would certainly like more of these pro lenses like the new Pana/Leica 42.5mm say perhaps a new  11-13mm pana/leica prime with very low CA and low distortion.

Meanwhile when it comes to a GH4 version of this adapter, what I really want is not the general MFT 0.71x booster but the BMCC 0.64x glass designed for 2.3x crop 4K on the GH4. This has been my feedback to Metabones… a 4K Speed Booster, if you like.

Yes, please!

I asked them also.

Last time I speculated that all Andrew's hints were all leading to an active mount EF Metabones Speed Booster to come and it's here!

It would be nice if Metabones could make a kind of niche GH4 special version for that 2.3x 4K crop but will they make both normal Micro4/3 AND GH4? It will be interesting to see what they will come up with.

Too bad the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 doesn't have IS, what a nice combo it would be.

I would have developed the more general EF-M43 adapter before the niche, very specific, small market bmpcc one. We really do need an EF to M43 speedbooster. We've waited long enough.

I think that had they launched the general first, some people would had bought it just to realize later that there would be a specific version for their BMPCC or possibly the GH4 version. Then, they would have to sell it to buy the other version, launching the specfic version first you avoid that kind of mistake and nonetheless they won't arrive too long apart.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think that had they launched the general first, some people would had bought it just to realize later that there would be a specific version for their BMPCC or possibly the GH4 version. Then, they would have to sell it to buy the other version, launching the specfic version first you avoid that kind of mistake and nonetheless they won't arrive too long apart.

That is a good point and probably true since they're emphasizing so much about it not fitting the GH4, so they must have something for the m43 mount very soon.

Andrew,

Since you have extensive experience with the metabones adapters I'd like to ask you regarding using a speedbooster for the BMCC 2.5k camera nikon mount on the GH4.

If I use the Tokina 11-16mm f mount or other aps-c lenses, will it vignette at full HD? Since this is wider fov than at 4k?

So the final adapter now reports the actual PHYSICAL aperture of the lens to the camera body instead rather than the boosted aperture.

Just a question for clarification:
I'm using an external light meter. For example, if the light meter measures F2.8, ISO 1600, 180°, how do I have to correct it?

Is F2.8 + 1 2/3 stops correct (resulting in F4 2/3, ISO 1600, 180°), or would it be acceptable to just decrease the ISO by 2 steps (resulting in F2.8, ISO 400, 180°, with a slight underexposure)?

Well this certainly got me all excited for a minute before all my hopes and dreams were cruelly crushed.

Is there any sort of ETA on a GH4 compatible version? Weeks, months or years?

Anytime metabones releases somethinng, there is like a 3-5 month delay till the next product.

So you can expect AT LEAST 3-5 months

Andrew, does the Canon EF line (along with the Metabones Speedbooster) present a better lens array for GH4 owners, vs the Nikon mount?  I've been told the Nikon lens options are plenty and also very affordable for GH4 owners.  What's your opinion?

For starters, the Nikon mount adapter is passive. This lets you use electronic features like IS, which is super cool. I imagine a future firmware update could allow things like focus confirmation or assist tools (full blown AF would likely be too slow and clumsy like it is on the NEX adapter).

But for many of us, Canon is our "other camera body". I shoot stills with a Canon, and video with a MFT. I started off shooting Canon for both back in the day before there were better options, as many of us did (heck, the site is even called EOS(as in Canon mount)HD.

Interesting that they released the BMPCC version first- that's weird, isn't it? Aren't there WAY MORE micro43 users out there? And wouldn't it simpler to implement because the standard sized 0.7x reducer is their staple optic?

Either way, I'm excited and waiting for the standard MFT to come out ASAP. I was just lamenting that I want to buy a lens and can't decide if I want Nikon or Canon mount. Canon mount has the advantage of ALSO working for photography on my Canon cameras. Nikon mount means I don't need my Canon body around to change aperture. I'd really like the best of both worlds, so this can't come soon enough!!

Any rumors as to how soon we'll see it? I hope Perplex isn't correct that 3-5 month window. That's too long!

• Administrators

Andrew, does the Canon EF line (along with the Metabones Speedbooster) present a better lens array for GH4 owners, vs the Nikon mount?  I've been told the Nikon lens options are plenty and also very affordable for GH4 owners.  What's your opinion?

Yes as you have stabilisation and proper aperture control from the body. The Nikon mount adapter has no electronic contacts.

Regardless with the Canon mount adapter, you can still use Nikon lenses on it via an adapter ring.

So best of both worlds in terms of the optics.

• Administrators

Andrew,

Since you have extensive experience with the metabones adapters I'd like to ask you regarding using a speedbooster for the BMCC 2.5k camera nikon mount on the GH4.

If I use the Tokina 11-16mm f mount or other aps-c lenses, will it vignette at full HD? Since this is wider fov than at 4k?

It does not vignette but it does go very soft in the corners at 11mm. 16mm better but not wonderful.