Successful fungus removal from an Anamorpjic lens?

Anthony Vallejo-Sanderson

Has anyone successfully removed fungus from a lens?

The reason I ask, I have an iscorama 35 with TONS of fungus on what looks like all layers of glass. Kind of hard to take pictures of the fungus but it does effect the image when the lens is mounted.

I'd like to bring this lens back to life, anyone have any advice???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i know you can clean fungus with ultraviolet light, leave it exposed in the sun,but mild cases,yours sound like a serious case. Do ask a professional sevice.

also it depends on where you live, if you live in a hot humid place there is a case of the spores contaminating other lenses/sensor

personaly i wouldnt attach it on my sensor..

Nearly all of my lenses (anamorphic and normal) are old ones I've bought used and some of them have minor fungal marks. Would leaving them in the sun help?

From what I understand, direct sunlight would kill the fugus and prevent it from spreading.
Cleaning fungus is quite complicated, as it depends how bad it is. In some cases the fugus eats into the coating, so in theory you could have the glass polished and re-coated. I looked into this once but couldn't find anyone willing to do it.

That sounds expensive. It isn't serious on any of my lenses so hopefully it won't be a problem. It sounds like it could be worse for Anthony though.

Yes, the re-coat would be very expensive and only for the brave. Maybe an option for Anthony and his 54? TBH, and I hate to say this, it may well be easy to buy a new one.

There is tons of advice via Google search for fungus removal. However in your case with a potentially expensive lens, the key issue is removal of the elements, some of which will be glued in.

Removal, cleaning and subsequent alignment is a job best left for someone who knows what they are doing, not for first timers on this optic.

There is tons of advice via Google search for fungus removal. However in your case with a potentially expensive lens, the key issue is removal of the elements, some of which will be glued in.

Removal, cleaning and subsequent alignment is a job best left for someone who knows what they are doing, not for first timers on this optic.

Gus, who does all of Ken Rockwell's work, is a local guy who is very reputable and talented. His work is reasonably priced for what he does.

This is from Ken's website:

Gus Lazzari, TLC Camera Repair
TLC Camera Repair
4554 Chestnut Street Ext.
High Point, NC 27265-8642
thegreatgus@gmail.com
office: (336) 307-2126

Gus can fix anything, and never leaves any tracks. He fixes classic Leica cameras, too, so Nikons are easy for him. Gus has worked on many cameras for me.