EOS R alternative and update

tomastancredi

On 10/23/2022 at 4:35 AM, Kisaha said:

@tomastancrediyou ask about the camera, but I ask about your lenses. We all know here that the most important aspect on a system is the lenses we own.

Are you going to sell your lenses and move to Panasonic?

I only have the 35mm RF Version the others are EF lenses which I intend to adapt. Going the L route I'd probably only buy the kit lens and either the 35 or 50mm for now

On 10/23/2022 at 9:01 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I would go with either the Panasonic S1, Sony a7 IV, Fuji X-H2 or a GH6

Look at the pros and cons of each of those and see which one you prefer

Thanks for the sum up!

Thanks @Django @MrSMW and @IronFilm for the considerations! I didn't know about the FX30 and would  defintelly jump in If i were not taking more and more stills. I like the form factor of EOS R and still no sure if I will miss it on the stills side even if going the s5 route. But the cinema improvement seems massive. with alternatives to rig up and going raw or having a solid hd with 10 bit for long doc style. 

on color side apparently panasonic improved a lot and autofocus on canon is something I really love, but s5 seems to be ok. Thanks for all the other options, but I think for the price point S5 seems to be the way to go. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Django said:

Best bang for buck is probably XH2 right now. 45MP stills. 8K, 10-bit, ProRes. Phase-detect AF with eye detect. Film simulations.

FX30 also super solid for run & gun. Oversampled 4K. AF on par with Canon. 4K120p. 10-bit. LUT support. Top handle with XLRs.

I hadn't seen this comment. Fx30 appeals for the form factor for video, but both as apsc for stills ar a bummer for me, even though I was a entushiast of m4/3 and apsc for years, I have been loving FF on the eos R for still and wouldn't be ok with smaller sensors..

11 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Thanks @Django @MrSMW and @IronFilm for the considerations! I didn't know about the FX30 and would  defintelly jump in If i were not taking more and more stills. I like the form factor of EOS R and still no sure if I will miss it on the stills side even if going the s5 route. But the cinema improvement seems massive. with alternatives to rig up and going raw or having a solid hd with 10 bit for long doc style. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the stills capabilities of a camera (unless you're a very serious professional photographer, in which case you've likely already got firm opinions on what camera to get and not asking here), because long long ago cameras already reached the level of "good enough" for professional work for the vast majority of professional photographers. While it has taken much longer for hybrid cameras to reach that point of "good enough". (I'd say that's only just now happening, now that many are getting 10bit internal)

Thus even if you got a very video focused camera (such as a P4K / C70 / FX30 / etc) then you could just for cheap buy a stills camera to use alongside your main camera that's for video. 

As in my opinion even an old Nikon D700 (only a couple of hundred dollars secondhand!) is "good enough" for the majority of "professional photographers" out there. (unless you're more into say the sports photography niche, in which case a cheap Nikon D500 still is one of the very best you could go for)

So if you for instance decided to go with a P4K as your filming camera, you could grab a Panasonic G7 to complement it for stills. Or a cheap Sony a6000 to complement the FX30 for stills. (I disagree about sensor size when it comes to shooting though, and people should just choose the right lens for the job. But anyway... you could say get a cheap cheap Sony a7mk1 for your stills, to use alongside an FX30? Or go nuts with resolution and get a Sony a7Rmk1? There is one on eBay at the moment for US$500)

I get where you’re getting at with your suggestion as I use a variety of different cameras for stills ranging from expensive Leica M rangefinder to Yashica 35mm film point & shoot to older DSLRs and of course mirrorless. 

That said I can understand someone with perhaps less experience and funds simply wants one camera body and one lens system. That’s a good place to start too. 

The EOS R is actually a very decent hybrid despite all the hate it garnished at its release due to the massive 4K crop.

13 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

I hadn't seen this comment. Fx30 appeals for the form factor for video, but both as apsc for stills ar a bummer for me, even though I was a entushiast of m4/3 and apsc for years, I have been loving FF on the eos R for still and wouldn't be ok with smaller sensors..

It sounds like you enjoy Canon ergonomics, color science, value their AF system and your invested in their lenses. 

This begs the question, why go through the hassle of changing systems? And why even consider Panasonic if AF is important to you?

FYI, I was also an EOS R user with just the 35mm RF and EF lenses and I chose to upgrade to R6 two years ago.

Its a massive upgrade as you gain IBIS, oversampled 4K with no crop, 10-bit codec, Clog3 & DPAF2 with eye tracking.

It’s a bit of a no brainer if you’re looking to upgrade from an EOS R in that $2K budget. Although the overheating may make that a big no-go in that tropical Brazilian heat.

in that case maybe smart to wait for R6 mk2 that appears to be right around the corner. 

or switch to Sony or Nikon if you can’t wait and wanna stay FF and have great AF. I’d only consider Panasonic if your planning on shooting video with manual lenses..

• 2 weeks later...