EOS R alternative and update

tomastancredi

Hi Guys,

I have been using a eos R for long and have a chance to update it next week but haven’t been up with the last models since 2019.

what is a the good alternative for both stills and run and gun documentary work ? 

I did a bit of research and found the Panasonic S5 to be the best reasonable update, but wanted to check if you had other insights.

(basically I work in amazonia and want to have a durable, long battery, easy to shoot and beatifiul colors out of the box camea)

thanks! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I heard a rumor that..

Canon R6 Mark II Leaked Specification

24mp Full-frame CMOS Sensor
Dual Pixel RAW / RAW burst
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
In-body stabilization
Digital Tele-Converter
12fps Mechanical
Hybrid Auto
4K 30p (No Crop)
4K 60p (Cropped. The EOS R6 is a 1.1x crop)
Canon Log 3/HDR PQ
Cloud RAW processing
RF/RF-S Lenses
SD/SDHC dual card slot
Not much change in the form factor over the original EOS R6

The Canon R6 will use the same stacked sensor we have seen in the Canon R3 camera. The camera announcement is expected first half of 2023.

The R6 would be the upgrade IMO. 

Maybe the EOS R7 but its APSC. 

I'd recommend a used Panasonic S1 over the S5. Just a better body with more features at a similar price point. 

The S1/S5 image quality in video is far superior to the EOS R. The low light performance in both video and photo is also way better, better dynamic range as well in photos. You can shoot 6k and 4k with no crop and S35 crop 4K 60 fps. 

Now it isn't going to give you Canon colors and auto focus is going to be lacking compared to the EOS R. 

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I heard a rumor that..

The Canon R6 will use the same stacked sensor we have seen in the Canon R3 camera. The camera announcement is expected first half of 2023.

Nowhere in the rumors it says it will have a stacked sensor. People just hope it does... But we all know Canon...

13 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Nowhere in the rumors it says it will have a stacked sensor. People just hope it does... But we all know Canon...

I just copy pasted the rumor, but because I have the Umbrella Academy power of making lies become the truth, it may will happen!

@tomastancrediyou ask about the camera, but I ask about your lenses. We all know here that the most important aspect on a system is the lenses we own.

Are you going to sell your lenses and move to Panasonic?

20 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I heard a rumor that..

24mp Full-frame CMOS Sensor
Dual Pixel RAW / RAW burst
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
In-body stabilization
Digital Tele-Converter
12fps Mechanical
Hybrid Auto
4K 30p (No Crop)
4K 60p (Cropped. The EOS R6 is a 1.1x crop)
Canon Log 3/HDR PQ
Cloud RAW processing
RF/RF-S Lenses
SD/SDHC dual card slot
Not much change in the form factor over the original EOS R6

Not stacked but BSI. It is the best sensor from Canon and makes sense since the R6 uses 1DX3 sensor.

The specs however appear to be pretty much the same as current R6, I don't see any improvements which is rather disappointing.

So the best improvement is perhaps just the sensor, which is already a very good thing. Should mean much better DR & much less RS.

I'm also hoping/assuming there will be little to no overheat. That is by far the biggest con of the current R6 and why I wouldn't recommend it for run & gun work. Unless you're just shooting short clips with reasonable intervals for cool off time. I'm selling mine as soon as I find the right FF substitute (which could be R6 mk2).

• Administrators

I would go with either the Panasonic S1, Sony a7 IV, Fuji X-H2 or a GH6

Look at the pros and cons of each of those and see which one you prefer

S1 has had such big firmware updates it's almost a Mark II, and has the best image for the price (in V-LOG) and is full frame. But lacking in the AF department and is quite a brick.

a7 IV is a very capable all-rounder. No major weak areas. Might be a bit over your $2K budget though.

X-H2 has the best codec, and is 8K. Excellent AF. It isn't full frame and may necessitate new lenses.

GH6 is a good bargain and if you don't mind the crop sensor, has the biggest feature set for video of nearly any camera on the market. Endless creativity and options.

15 hours ago, Django said:

Not stacked but BSI. It is the best sensor from Canon and makes sense since the R6 uses 1DX3 sensor.

The specs however appear to be pretty much the same as current R6, I don't see any improvements which is rather disappointing.

So the best improvement is perhaps just the sensor, which is already a very good thing. Should mean much better DR & much less RS.

I'm also hoping/assuming there will be little to no overheat. That is by far the biggest con of the current R6 and why I wouldn't recommend it for run & gun work. Unless you're just shooting short clips with reasonable intervals for cool off time. I'm selling mine as soon as I find the right FF substitute (which could be R6 mk2).

There is a another rumour circulating of an R8..similar specs but a simpler 30mpxls sensor..

It seems that there are two cameras coming soon, an R replacement (it could be the R8 with the R sensor but various impovements all around) and an R6mkII with the sensor as the biggest - and very welcomed - difference, but probably other faster and/or more modern internals that will make it a better camera altogether.

Price is very important also, if they could keep it close to R6's money that would make it a hit camera.

To be completely honest, I was expecting the R6mkII to move to RF full frame, so I am quite excited about this rumor. Of course the devil is in the details and those details could make or brake this release. It could be only the sensor and maybe the processor, but also a myriad other little impovements; or not!

As of our friend @tomastancredi, it would be a pity that you are going to miss the R replacement just for a month or so..

If you want something fast and with amazing battery life, the R7 is a very honest choice and for a very good price.

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

There is a another rumour circulating of an R8..similar specs but a simpler 30mpxls sensor..

It seems that there are two cameras coming soon, an R replacement (it could be the R8 with the R sensor but various impovements all around) and an R6mkII with the sensor as the biggest - and very welcomed - difference, but probably other faster and/or more modern internals that will make it a better camera altogether.

Price is very important also, if they could keep it close to R6's money that would make it a hit camera.

To be completely honest, I was expecting the R6mkII to move to RF full frame, so I am quite excited about this rumor. Of course the devil is in the details and those details could make or brake this release. It could be only the sensor and maybe the processor, but also a myriad other little impovements; or not!

As of our friend @tomastancredi, it would be a pity that you are going to miss the R replacement just for a month or so..

If you want something fast and with amazing battery life, the R7 is a very honest choice and for a very good price.

An R replacement using the same 2018 R sensor (that used the 2016 5DIV sensor) makes zero sense.

That sensor had horrible rolling shutter and had to crop x1.7 for 4K. 

Also what do you mean by:

I was expecting the R6mkII to move to RF full frame

The current R6 is already RF full frame?

2 minutes ago, Django said:

An R replacement using the same 2018 R sensor (that used the 2016 5DIV sensor) makes zero sense.

That sensor had horrible rolling shutter and had to crop x1.7 for 4K. 

Also what do you mean by:

The current R6 is already RF full frame?

The R6 is not sufficient for me. A better rounded mkII may will be.

An R replacement that will be a lot cheaper than the R6 may have an older sensor.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

The R6 is not sufficient for me. A better rounded mkII may will be.

An R replacement that will be a lot cheaper than the R6 may have an older sensor.

.. an older sensor perhaps but not a 6 year old sensor, that's ridiculous. even canon are smarter than that.

as for the R6, I've been shooting with it for some time now, and its a very good all-rounder (basically a 1DX3 in RF mirrorless form). It shoots 5.5K oversampled footage, has DPAF2, can do up to 4K60p no crop in 10-bit 422 which the A7IV can't even do. CLog/Clog3. The only downside is RS & overheating. If the new sensor/processor fixes those I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. Would be nice to see a couple extra things like 4K120p or RAW but that would probably steal too much from R3/R5.

On 10/22/2022 at 11:54 PM, tomastancredi said:

what is a the good alternative for both stills and run and gun documentary work ? 

I did a bit of research and found the Panasonic S5 to be the best reasonable update, but wanted to check if you had other insights.

If you need professional standard stills, then yes, I'd go with a Panasonic S5. (or the S1 or GH6 also from Panasonic)

But if the stills is more casual / personal usage, and not a key requirement, then I'd definitely be going with the new Sony FX30 instead at that price point. 

The various Fujifilm options also get a worthy shout out. (X-T4 or the more expensive X-H2S)

On 10/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, tomastancredi said:

Hi Guys,

I have been using a eos R for long and have a chance to update it next week but haven’t been up with the last models since 2019.

I would suggest the same and go with the Panasonic S5. Best in class overall image quality, good battery life, great body. Price is hard to beat. Price vs quality ratio is by far the best. The image trumps all other contenders and is only equalled by the R5 or Z9 in its Raw modes and even that is trumped in lowlight.

Best reasonable update. Period. Look no further if i need now. If not in need, keep using what you got I guess. Which is never the worst thing to do and often a good idea. 🙂

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

If not in need, keep using what you got I guess. Which is never the worst thing to do and often a good idea. 🙂

Two very useful sentiments that I try to live by are:

1. If in doubt, don't buy anything
  2. If the solution isn't obvious, you don't fully understand the problem

Another vote for the Panny S5.

I prefer my S1R as a pure stills machine and for dedicated video work, my S1H, but unless I needed:

A: Stellar tracking video AF

B: Err, that’s it really, anything else is nitpicking…

I doubt there is a better option sub 2k and a mint used one could be picked up sub 1.5k.

Or an XH2.

..if you need AF though Panasonic is probably the worst system of the bunch and a huge downgrade from Canon.

Image quality means nothing if you can't hold focus. 

Best bang for buck is probably XH2 right now. 45MP stills. 8K, 10-bit, ProRes. Phase-detect AF with eye detect. Film simulations.

FX30 also super solid for run & gun. Oversampled 4K. AF on par with Canon. 4K120p. 10-bit. LUT support. Top handle with XLRs.

But yeah, switching systems is expensive so if you own a lot of lenses probably better to wait for suitable model than switch. 

APS-C / Super35 seems to be where it's at right now as far as bang for buck in the $2K bracket.