Topaz Video Ai (version 3.0)- any good?

John Matthews

No footage to share, but I hope that the community is checking this out. I was already super impressed with the previous version in that it made all of my interlaced footage look like how I remember it being at the time. With this update (still early times) I noticed you can basically throw many new (but old) formats at it. I took some .MTS (hacked GH2) files and tried them. I upresed them to 4k, reduced the noise a little, added in minimal detail and sharpness and output them as h.265 4k 8bit files at 28Mbit/s. The results looked so good. I found the blue channel to be nicely detailed and virtually noise free (which was a minor problem before). Yes, it takes quite a bit of computing power (1 minute of footage = 20 minutes render), but still...

Maybe others have some thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

It won't do anything for dynamic range or color as far as I know. It does a good job detail, noise, de-aliasing, de-interlacing, and re-timing. Not sure for log.

@FHDcrew could always grade the footage and then run the finished edit or selected shots through it.  Not sure how that fits with the workflow though.

I've been using it for about a year now and some of the results are genuinely astonishing. I just got the update, too, and have been impressed. 

On my M1 Pro MacBook Pro it does about 10fps, so it's not TOO bad, especially if you come from the days when it'd take hours to render stuff. I mostly use it to upscale old footage; decent 480i footage upscales quite nicely. I can't say that it looks like native 1080p but it's not that far. 

Their photo software is also very impressive, maybe even more than Video AI. 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I've been using it for about a year now and some of the results are genuinely astonishing. I just got the update, too, and have been impressed. 

On my M1 Pro MacBook Pro it does about 10fps, so it's not TOO bad (...)

What exactly M1 Pro MacBook Pro specs? :- )

On 10/22/2022 at 3:34 AM, newfoundmass said:

I mostly use it to upscale old footage; decent 480i footage upscales quite nicely. I can't say that it looks like native 1080p but it's not that far. 

Me too. I have a bunch of family footage. It doesn't look too bad just on my iMac M1, but upon de-interlacing, it really came to life and it looked like how I remember it. I'd also agree by saying it look close to consumer-grade 1080p.

22 hours ago, adamgordon said:

With this update, you can basically throw many new formats at it.

Yes. "New" to the software, but some are old. Some features like stabalisation are also new. I have to wonder if this gets more practical in terms of time, it might turn into a "better" way to transcode footage too (provided the AI gets smart enough too fool us).

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a video showing some ARRI Alexa Classic footage upscaled to 8K with Topaz.  It's in bits throughout the second half of the video.

https://youtu.be/YJpQCSFZMTM

(link won't expand, not sure why)

TBH I thought the results looked quite mixed - some shots looked much higher resolution but other shots just looked the same (had the same 2K film-like rendering and noise) so I guess it depends on your tastes and input footage.

This might be a better real-world test as it doesn't seem to be only the cherry-picked footage that gives great results.