DXOMark rates GH4 at 13 stops dynamic range - 1 stop better than 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It was interesting getting the d5300 and being able to quantify how much salt you need to take the dxo tests with.  D5300 rated about about 13 stops too if I remember (about 1 stop less than d800/d600), but the ends of the range are not nearly as usable as those cameras, with noise an issue at all isos.  The proof of the pudding is in the pushing - its always the really tough lighting conditions that sort the men cameras from the boy cameras :)  

• Administrators

Not saying the GH4 isn't impressive (it is), but the DR advantage is only up until ISO 300 or so. After that the 5D3 pulls way ahead.

Yes, correct. Should have mentioned that in the article really. But at ISO 200 it's there, and it's usable.

The other areas the 5D Mark III is ahead... Tonal range

5d3-gh4-tonal-range.jpg

How accurate are these tests though really? When I tested the a6000 (13.1 evs) and gx7 (12.2 evs), I took some raw photos and used Lightroom to push the shadows and pull the highlights on both at different ISOs. The  latitude on both ended up being the same (same highlight recovery, same amount of noise in the shadows). In fact slightly worse on the a6000 because at high ISOs the shadows had a purple cast.

And if you use the dpreview camera comparison tool, you can see that the Canon 6d clearly has less noise than the Nikon d800, yet it's rated lower on DXOMark.

How accurate are these tests though really? When I tested the a6000 (13.1 evs) and gx7 (12.2 evs), I took some raw photos and used Lightroom to push the shadows and pull the highlights on both at different ISOs. The  latitude on both ended up being the same (same highlight recovery, same amount of noise in the shadows). In fact slightly worse on the a6000 because at high ISOs the shadows had a purple cast.

And if you use the dpreview camera comparison tool, you can see that the Canon 6d clearly has less noise than the Nikon d800, yet it's rated lower on DXOMark.

One possible explanation: DxO resize all images to 8mp for their tests, while DPReview show 100% crops which put the 36mp of the D800 at a disadvantage.

Sony's A6000 is so much better than GH4 as a stills camera.

I'm pretty sure that it is very close in video as well and all that for less than half the price!

Sony is gonna say good bye and get past everybody else pretty soon...

well i think its absolutely great what sony comes up with on paper. no other company brings out cameras with such amazing specs in the smallest possible bodies. i often like to compare Sony with RED. not that their cameras are comparable in any way, but both companies seem to have the exact same goal of pushing the limits of whats possible with todays cameras and always being the first of introducing new standards and features. 

on the other hand theres Panasonic, who would never come out with a camera that isnt rock solid in its performance. FF 4K camera that overheats after 30min of recording? it would never see the light of day if Panasonic built it.

its really up to you what you choose, but id always go with a rock solid camera. just like i would always choose an Alexa over an Epic.

• Administrators

I'm pretty sure that it is very close in video as well and all that for less than half the price!

Sony is gonna say good bye and get past everybody else pretty soon...

Nope.

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

I'm pretty sure that you are absolutely completely totally wrong about this.  :P

Interesting points in the article about the D600.  Can't beat a D600 for dynamic range at that price point (up there with the best at any price point).  Now if Nikon would only modernize the video on the D600 series...

I'll have to have a look at the Nikon 14mm F2.8 lens.  I don't see it on their website, though.

Michael

I've Shot with 6d and own d800.  Chalk and cheese.  I found the 6d noisy and a bit gnarly for a 20mp camera.  THe d800 shadow noise cleans up very well. 6d still had that typical low frequency fuzzy purple and magenta chroma noise that is hard to clean up.  The d800 continues to blow me away with how much range is usable.  I wish as a company they had just the teensiest bit of vision.