4K for $899 with the Panasonic FZ1000 - but beware the quirks!

Andrew Reid

Why not a fan of these two cameras? In what way does 4K suddenly make everything before it obsolete, including 2.5K? Are you saying there isn't any difference between a smartphone that shoots 4K and a camera that does the same? And just how is the RX series 'melting down'? 

i owned both RX100m2 and Galaxy Note 3. I would rather have videos shooting with my Note 3 in most situations because they are definitely a lot sharper in 4k, except for low light. 

i can imagine a new sales record for both LX8 and FZ1000, and especially FZ1000. I viewed some of the samples the bokehs are awesome

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It looks like Panasonic is on a 4K roll, and they are starting to make the other company's camaras look dated, not only with 4K, but other features such as zebras, focus peaking, and cine gamma..

I'm seeing more and more 4K TVs are showing up in stores, and the prices are plummeting.  8K TVs are in development.  It's enough to give pause about shooting in 1080, because in 10 years it may look pretty awful.

Michael

I'm really glad that Panasonic is confident in the future of 4K. I seem to recall when they came out with 1080 60p, a lot of people were disgruntled that their computers (or NLEs) couldn't handle the AVCHD files. Now, just about every NLE can, but thankfully, we've moved on. 

i can imagine a new sales record for both LX8 and FZ1000, and especially FZ1000.

Don't be so sure about that.  Video is a fraction of the size of the photography market.  And here is what the photographers are saying about the FZ1000 on DPreview...

123urno.jpg

1zbrvuu.jpg

sbhpb6.jpg

The camera sounds awesome to me but don't bank on it selling like a $300 DSLR.

It's probably based on the Sony 20MP sensor, Panasonic also claimed the MOS tech on the GH3 but it turned out that it was the E-M5 Sony sensor after all, this one seems to follow the same pattern. Panasonic may had tweaked it a bit and named it as theirs, but for the most part, the performace should be very similar to the RX100/RX10. As for vídeo, AF, rolling shutter, etc. it will depend more on the Venus Engine, it will be interesting to see the difference and comparisons between the FZ1000, LX8, RX10, RX100 and AX100.

This camera (and the LX8 maybe more so) might cut into sales of lower level M43 ILCs.

I am more interested in the LX8 but this still might be just what I want for video.

As for constant aperture VS 2.8-4 , how far does this cameras lens go @ 2.8?    If it is still 2.8 at 200mm equivalent that that IS the same as the RX10 except you get the next 200mmat as a bonus.

This camera (and the LX8 maybe more so) might cut into sales of lower level M43 ILCs.

I am more interested in the LX8 but this still might be just what I want for video.

As for constant aperture VS 2.8-4 , how far does this cameras lens go @ 2.8? If it is still 2.8 at 200mm equivalent that that IS the same as the RX10 except you get the next 200mmat as a bonus.

"At 26mm it slows a fraction to f2.9, then to f3 at 30mm, f3.5 at 57mm and finally to f4 at 175mm all the way to 400mm"
Found this on dpreview.

Don't be so sure about that.  Video is a fraction of the size of the photography market.  And here is what the photographers are saying about the FZ1000 on DPreview...

123urno.jpg

1zbrvuu.jpg

sbhpb6.jpg

You're always going to get naysayers.  Everyone has their own priorities, and brand preferences.  It really sounds like they just don't like Super Zooms in general.

Michael

"At 26mm it slows a fraction to f2.9, then to f3 at 30mm, f3.5 at 57mm and finally to f4 at 175mm all the way to 400mm"
Found this on dpreview.

Thank You.

Then "2.8" it is really not and certainly not for 4k.

123urno.jpg

1zbrvuu.jpg

sbhpb6.jpg

i'm gonna predict it will outperform FZ200 or LX7 big time

i think its a spit in the face by panasonic to announce a camera with these features a couple of months after the GH4 was announced. Yes, its a different system, with a fixed lens and smaller sensor, but if they were able to build 5-axis IBIS, ND-filters and 120fps 1080p in a smaller body, why couldnt they do the same in the larger, twice as expensive GH4 that doesnt even come with a lens. it even has the same processor so 120fps should have easily been possible.

IBIS and NDs would have made a huge difference. Screw you Panasonic.

Surely Panasonic will note your eloquently expressed opinion. 

There is no ND filter. Nor is there analogue IBIS in video mode. Not in GH4, GX7 or GM1, either. For a pretty obvious reason. 

The single biggest obstacle to generating clean video images is noise. All other things being equal the biggest generator of image noise in imaging sensors is heat. Making an in-body, five axis, image stabilization system requires a very low mass sensor construction to enable the acceleration and deceleration required in moving an Olympus sensor in five axis, some concurrently and always accurately. Increases in the mass of the sensor and it's mooring constructions would require stronger motors and would compromise the integrity of the final image due to progressively uncontrollable inertial forces.

In order to make a very low mass, movable sensor construction Olympus is required to "de-couple" the image sensor from nearly all forms of mechanical heat sinking. A heat sink is a heat conductor (usually a low density, highly conductive metal) which draws heat away from an object and uses a larger radiator surface area to dissipate heat energy. In audio equipment, electronic power supplies, cameras (especially digital motion picture cameras) and computers one of the biggest design obstacles is the need to keep micro-processors within a narrowly proscribed temperature range.

In other words, just buy a tripod and get over it. Maybe a camera, too, in case you haven't got one yet.

As for why there are no ND filters built in the mainstream interchangeable lens (DSLR/DSLM) camera bodies, that I'm not sure about (yet). Apparently there is an equally practical reason for that, too, though.

In case someone knows it, please feel free to chime in.

Surely Panasonic will note your eloquently expressed opinion. 

There is no ND filter. Nor is there analogue IBIS in video mode. Not in GH4, GX7 or GM1, either. For a pretty obvious reason. 

In other words, just buy a tripod and get over it. Maybe a camera, too, in case you haven't got one yet.

As for why there are no ND filters built in the mainstream interchangeable lens (DSLR/DSLM) camera bodies, that I'm not sure about (yet). Apparently there is an equally practical reason for that, too, though.

In case someone knows it, please feel free to chime in.

Also, it's half the price of the AX-100, which, as SlashCAM points out, Panasonic is also in direct competition with. But yeah, Panasonic is really spitting on us! :)

Incidentally, this Pietz, who says Panny should screw themselves, is the same one who started a thread about quirks and problems with the GH4, even before the camera was in most people's hands. Very weird!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I just come to read an article that presents the fz1000. It says that in video mode, it's equivalent to a 37-592 ? Does it makes to you ? Does this king of crop factor belongs with other cameras such as a 4/3 camera ?

In 4K the FZ1000 makes a 1:1 pixel crop, just like the GH4. So there is a crop factor when shooting 4K, which results in a longer focal length equivalent. Not sure what you are saying with your last two sentences...

• 1 month later...

So... the FZ1000 has been rolled out. :lol:

Anyone got a hands-on yet? Tried to find a shop with one (here in Vienna, Austria) to see what it's about, but none of them had any or knew anything about arriving stock. <_< Only noticed that Cyberport pushed back the 30.7 date to 14.8. But it seems availlable in other countries, so I was just curious if anyone dared to pick up one already?

Like I said...

Yeah, what I've said earlier. Kind of a pity it puts the camera out of the constant f/2.8-group. :unsure:

But I would really be excited to have a bridgecamera/superzoom again though. My normal dayjob gives me plenty of sweet oppertunities to take pictures and video, but I can't and won't go and carry around a interchangeable lens camera with lenses and all. I don't know what I'll come across each day or if I'll even get to use it, so the flexibility of having a bit off everything for me in a single somewhat compact package is superb for the purpose of always having it with me in my bag. I'd then love to get the LX-8 as a carry on, hopefully being able to fit it in some pocket (bermuda's with wide pockets/jackets), would be perfect for in and around the house and on the street. Then take the GH2/GH4/E-M1 with me when it's really about purposed/planned shooting with less of a on-the-go character to it. Usually for on-the-go snaps you'd take out your smartphone, but for me having a FZ1000 in the bag on the job and a LX-8 somewhere on my person, would be way nicer. :lol: I think it compliments ones existing gear nicely.

I think it wouldn't be a that bad of a purchase at all. Something you take with you on holidays when you're not in it for photography or video per se, which would require you to carry around a camera, lenses, tripod, batteries, accessories etcetera. Just enjoy the holiday and if the moment asks for it, you've got your all-in-one camera with 4K, 1080p 4x slowmo, zebra's, peaking, articulated screen, 2.359K OLED LVF, 25-400mm equiv. range with the 1" sensor, f/2.8-f/4, 5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S. sporting 'Level Shot', manual control ring (zoom/focus), 5 zoomspeeds, highlight/shadow control & Wi-Fi right there with you in one carefree flexible package. For actual planned shoots it surely won't replace an interchangeable lens camera, but even then it might add some great value to shoot B-roll with.

It looks like Panasonic is on a 4K roll, and they are starting to make the other company's camaras look dated, not only with 4K, but other features such as zebras, focus peaking, and cine gamma..

I'm seeing more and more 4K TVs are showing up in stores, and the prices are plummeting.  8K TVs are in development.  It's enough to give pause about shooting in 1080, because in 10 years it may look pretty awful.

Michael

I'm not so sure.  4K for cinema related content, particularly at high frame rates, may put people off.  I watched The Hobbit in 4K/48fps and did not enjoy it at all.  I preferred the 2k/24P version by a country mile.

...who says Panny should screw themselves, is the same one who started a thread about quirks and problems with the GH4, even before the camera was in most people's hands. Very weird!

Not really. Normal nerdspeak. Species-specific behaviour. You'd better get used to it, for it'll be the new normal. The millenials are coming. Camera forums will start looking and sounding like smartphone forums. Then they will merge. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Grab your camera and run, while you still can. :)

Also, it's half the price of the AX-100, which, as SlashCAM points out, Panasonic is also in direct competition with.

Who's in direct competition with whom is always somewhat subjective, but those trenches may indeed become somewhat blurred even further, at least for a while. Manufacturers like Panasonic and Sony may be competing with some of their own models, too. Like the X70 from Sony, which just got announced. Depending on its street price, it might also be competing with the AX100.  Although I'm not much of a camcorder guy, so I'll leave that debate to the camcorder and ENG experts.