4K for $899 with the Panasonic FZ1000 - but beware the quirks!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

View the FZ1000 at B&H or at Adorama

The Panasonic FZ1000 looks like a very handy alternative to the Sony AX100 camcorder and RX10 bridge camera. It's also the world's first 4K camera (25p,30p) under $1k. At this price some compromises are bound to come into play and we'll get to those in a moment.

First let's take in the rather lovely view... A 25-400mm Leica lens, 100Mbit/s codec for 4K, 120fps 1080p slow-mo and CineLikeD/V profiles just like the GH4.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No, this isn't a GH4 replacement, but it may be close enough to get me started in a confusing market. Today I am a still shooter that would like to dip a toe into the video waters. At this point, I can't justify replacing my current stills system or carrying a second system. This could be an excellent learning camera - I have a lot of ideas, but no experience in capturing or processing video. Unless initial hands-on reviews point to a serious shortcoming, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

It's weird, because I make $899 to be £535, but for some reason it's actually £749. in the UK.

*oh i never expected that* SARCASTIC  VOICE

Will we ever get a decent deal in the UK?!

Between this and the RX10 there are some great premium superzooms out there for video now.

@Andrew: I think there will be two cameras, PAL / NTSC, non switchable. So either 30 fps or 25 fps in 4K, depending on where you buy it.

Also I don't see any notion of 120 fps mode? (probably 100 in PAL) just read the press release, it has high speed video mode @ 100 FPS (PAL version)

See the full UK specs: http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/bridge-cameras/dmc-fz1000eb.specs.html

@jgharding: + 20% VAT is £642. Yes, there's still a difference, but thats always the case with anything you buy in Europe... Boring discussion imo.

pretty silly to indicate this camera has a 25-400 lens, when that's actually the FF FOV equivalent and has absolutely nothing to do with the physical focal length and f stop ratio of the lens. The lens is a 9.1-146mm f2.8-4.0. IF it were a 25-400, it'd likely have to be more than twice the size of this lens to achieve a 2.8-4.0 aperture. 

Crops are becoming commonplace in the industry, but let's be clear to point out that they are CROPS, and not magical lenses. I still don't know why the world of video uses FF equiv as a standard. 

Just seems ridiculous to say "First let’s take in the rather lovely view… A 25-400mm Leica lens" 

When it's pretty obvious that a leica 25-400mm lens would cost probably twice as much as this camera if not much much more. 

I often do travel/tourism gigs (like the stuff seen in this video example).  Those jobs are 80% outdoor shooting.  Small sensor is irrelevant for that style of production.  Dynamic range helps though when shooting into shadow.  The FZ line isn't going to offer anything impressive there.  Still, if the 5 axis hybrid stabilization thing actually works on this camera, I'd buy it.

I've used the FZ200 as a b-cam for those shoots and it rendered acceptable results.  The FZ1000 can only be better.  Shooting 4K for 1080 is a nice luxury.

Wish it were wider though...

i think its a spit in the face by panasonic to announce a camera with these features a couple of months after the GH4 was announced. Yes, its a different system, with a fixed lens and smaller sensor, but if they were able to build 5-axis IBIS, ND-filters and 120fps 1080p in a smaller body, why couldnt they do the same in the larger, twice as expensive GH4 that doesnt even come with a lens. it even has the same processor so 120fps should have easily been possible.

IBIS and NDs would have made a huge difference. Screw you Panasonic.

i think its a spit in the face by panasonic to announce a camera with these features a couple of months after the GH4 was announced. Yes, its a different system, with a fixed lens and smaller sensor, but if they were able to build 5-axis IBIS, ND-filters and 120fps 1080p in a smaller body, why couldnt they do the same in the larger, twice as expensive GH4 that doesnt even come with a lens. it even has the same processor so 120fps should have easily been possible.

IBIS and NDs would have made a huge difference. Screw you Panasonic.

Read Andrew's article...

There’s no built in ND filter like the Sony RX10 and it does not have the constant F2.8 aperture of that camera either, instead trading that for the longer zoom range.

It is not clear what kind of stabilisation, if any, works in 4K video mode.

Well Andrew you've given us yet another camera to think about.  Back to the drawing board for me.  Can't wait for your full review.

you say in 4k there is a crop factor of 4.0 (37mm/9.1mm) so must we also multiply the aperture by the crop factor to get the full frame equivalent as i read in many articles ? so is the lens a f11.2-f16 equivalent ? (how bad is it going to be in low light ?, i don't understand if this "full frame aperture equivalency" is just good for the depth of field equivalency or is it also applying for the quantity of light going onto the sensor ? if so f11.2 is going to be really dark for indoor shooting )

if it makes it really bad choice  for indoor shooting and this camera is only good for outdoor bright sunlight shooting, then why no wait for the gopro4 that will also do 4k (>15fps) it will be cheaper, smaller and water proof (but lack the zoom). it is supposed to  be out within 2 weeks.

Does anyone know if the FZ1000 can record 4K video indefinitely, like the GH4, or is there a limit on the length of clips, like most DSLRs? Canon DSLRs can only shoot 12 minutes of HD video at a time. I think the GH2/3 can do 29 minute clips.

I shoot a lot of live events. I'm interested in the FZ1000 as a possible b-camera for the GH4, but only if it can shoot 60+ minutes without stopping.

Obviously it's also a question of battery life. Any info on battery life for this camera?

I think, much like the A7s and GH4, that there is a place for both the RX10 and the FZ1000 in the marketplace. The Zeiss lens on the Sony will be better, that's a near 100% guarantee, at all focal lengths where they match. The 60p1080 on the RX10, being full pixel readout, should hold its own well enough... despite AVCHD. The RX10 is better built, by a considerable measure, being as well built as a 5DMkIII or A99v level camera. The RX10 also has the headphone jack so proper sound monitoring is available, and the ability to work with an XLR mic, natively, is a huge bonus for the people who care. The customizability of the Sony cameras is also beginning to get the attention it deserves: someone can take this camera and make it their own. Add in the ND filtration and proper stabilization in video and we can say it still does well, if a tad overpriced. The innate capability of the RX10 is very high, however, and the still images are stunning. I haven't seen anything in the Rebel class of DSLR that really competes. You have to go to an A6000ish level camera before that happens. I doubt the Panasonic will be able to get that still performance out of the FZ1000. Physics of lens vs no BSI say so.

The BSI sensor in the RX10 will  win the high ISO, high dynamic range battle quickly where still photos come into play and Sony's Object Tracking has always beaten Panasonic where continuous CDAF has come in. 

I think that once Sony drops the price of the RX10 to, say, $1k, it'll still be the better overall photographer's tool. The 25-400mm lens with a non-bsi sensor behind it will have too many compromises to compete at the top end of the imaging range. Still, the versatility of such a lens is not to be denied.

The 4k crop will be interesting to see on the FZ1000. I think that, much like most compact devices currently shooting 4k,  it's more of a gimmick, still, than a viable feature BUT it is the first to start moving more towards the viable feature end of the spectrum. Those memory card requirements are going to be a bummer in the wallet for some, however :)

Anyway. RX10 vs FZ1000: another Sony vs Panny argument that is sure to last the summer.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

you say in 4k there is a crop factor of 4.0 (37mm/9.1mm) so must we also multiply the aperture by the crop factor to get the full frame equivalent as i read in many articles ? so is the lens a f11.2-f16 equivalent ? (how bad is it going to be in low light ?, i don't understand if this "full frame aperture equivalency" is just good for the depth of field equivalency or is it also applying for the quantity of light going onto the sensor ? if so f11.2 is going to be really dark for indoor shooting )

Yes that works regarding the depth of field equivalent not the actual exposure. I am sure it will be fine in low-light, just like all the other superzooms, though not spactacular.

And at 300-400mm it will pretty easy to compress the background too and get a shallow depth of field, you'll just need to go farther and zoom in, the old way ;) If shallow depth of field is somethinf you like I wouldn't consider this camera anyway. This seems like a great camera for travel, city shots and anything requiring detail.

4K video mode – here the lens unfortunately loses the wide end altogether and becomes a 37-592mm. 20MP down to 8MP is quite a hefty crop.

Bummer, I was excited to use it on a cheap 2axis gimbal and also to fly it.

Can use any wide angle adapter?, are they any good?

Otherwise, it looks like a  perfect B cam for GH4.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think that, much like most compact devices currently shooting 4k, it's more of a gimmick, still, than a viable feature

I actually disagree. I think the cameras that benefitted from the 4K jump are the cheap compact ones. The higher-end ones don't need it.

I don't miss 4K using a C300, because I already have perfect 1080p. But with lower-end cameras, 4K makes having good 1080p MUCH easier. My Samsung Note shoots spactacular 1080p when downscaled from 4K for god's sake! :D