So where does this leave the BMCC?

Damphousse

In reading and responding to this post please keep in mind I am an amateur who only makes very little money shooting stock video.  I mostly want this camera for hobby purposes.

With the march to 4k in full swing (ie GH4, Sony FDR-AX100, BMPC 4k, Galaxy Note III, etc) where does that leave the BMCC?  Is the BMCC a reasonable camera to buy used now or should people wait for more price reductions?

I have always been averse to owning Black Magic cameras.  Their lack of pedigree in the camera field and the delays and bugs scared me off.  But at this stage if I could pick up a BMCC with Resolve for $1,500ish is this something wise to do?  The reason I ask is of all the new wave of cameras to lauch in the last couple of years the BMCC seems like the cheapest to get up and running.  I could use my ef lenses on it and SSDs have come down in price.  $1,500 is still a lot of money but I could shoot the camera on day one just by adding an SSD.  I don't need to shoot for hours.  I mostly shoot 10-30 second clips.  So there is not a pressing need for an external battery.

Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you're only shooting 10-30 second clips I'd go for the Pocket cam. Get an EF to MFT focal reducer for your Canon glass.

The reason I focused more on the BMCC is it has less of a crop and it has an ef mount that allows IS.  Also it uses SSDs vs SD cards.  I also found the used pricing to be interesting.  I might actually be able to get a BMCC with full Resolve for $1500ish.  That's a $500 discount (25%).  You can't get a BMPCC for 25% off.  Once you take into account the price of Resolve the price difference between a BMPCC and a BMCC on the used market is not that much.

You will have more of a crop with EF glass on the BMCC than speedboosted EF glass on the Pocket. But as of right now, no IS.
No need for SSDs if you're shooting short clips. BMPCC has swappable batteries.
Resolve Lite is free. Unless you're rendering 3D or 4k you won't notice a difference.

The BMCC still has one of the most beautiful images available short of an Alexa. 

The 13-stops of DR is gorgeous, the oversampling results in a crisp image, you have RAW when you want loads of flexibility. 

If I'm on a budget: indy films or music vidz, I would want a BMCC. If I am doing corporate video on a budget, I'd want the GH4.

You will have more of a crop with EF glass on the BMCC than speedboosted EF glass on the Pocket. But as of right now, no IS.
No need for SSDs if you're shooting short clips. BMPCC has swappable batteries.
Resolve Lite is free. Unless you're rendering 3D or 4k you won't notice a difference.

Do they make an ef to bmpcc speedbooster?  Aren't speedboosters $399?

The BMCC still has one of the most beautiful images available short of an Alexa. 

The 13-stops of DR is gorgeous, the oversampling results in a crisp image, you have RAW when you want loads of flexibility. 

If I'm on a budget: indy films or music vidz, I would want a BMCC. If I am doing corporate video on a budget, I'd want the GH4.

Interesting.  Thanks for the reply.  I guess I have been hearing so much about the GH4 I was wondering if I needed to get my head examined for even considering a BMCC.

Do they make an ef to bmpcc speedbooster?  Aren't speedboosters $399?

They make versions on ebay that have pretty good reviews for around $130. Word is that Metabones will release their version very soon. Honestly, if I were you and you end up going with the BMCC, I would get the MFT version. You gain alot by having a speedbooster in front of that crop factor.

They make versions on ebay that have pretty good reviews for around $130. Word is that Metabones will release their version very soon. Honestly, if I were you and you end up going with the BMCC, I would get the MFT version. You gain alot by having a speedbooster in front of that crop factor.

I still need to do a bit of research and thinking before I buy anything.  A BMPCC or a BMCC are a lot of money for a toy.  I'll take the MFT suggestion under advisment.