Canon 5d mkIII or BlackMagic Pocket for shooting RAW video

elkanah77

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

The other thing in favour of the 5D is it will keep its value for ages, so you can sell it and move on to something different if you want to. The Pocket will loose a lot of value as soon as Black Magic or anyone else bring out a similar camera with better functionality.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Most of the +/- s have been listed here.  Personally, i think it's silly to get a 5D, just to shoot RAW video.  I also think the BMPCC is a better system and has a better image.  

But if i needed a stills camera too, it makes the decision a lot harder. 

If you needed a stills camera, it actually makes the decision a lot easier.

I'd say go for the 5d mark iii.  ML hack for some reason is perceived as "unstable".  But if you just get a decent CF card, and an established nightly build.  There is actually very very low chance anything could go wrong.  Those boys over there know what they are doin.  You have a camera now that you can shoot in H264 for the lesser projects which still look great!  Also, you now have 14 freaking bit raw that can shoot quality stuff. 

Above all the + and minuses here the biggest two in regards to each camera is the 5d raw's workflow above average kind of workflow.  The BMPCC doesn't do good in low light as a super 16 sensor, and has the most awkward crop factor I've personally ever seen.

Also who DOESN'T need a camera that can provide professional stills?  There's always a need for that!

• 1 month later...

The other thing in favour of the 5D is it will keep its value for ages, so you can sell it and move on to something different if you want to. The Pocket will loose a lot of value as soon as Black Magic or anyone else bring out a similar camera with better functionality.

This was true when you posted this comment but now that you can get a BMPCC for $495 (4-6 weeks till delivery) I think the BMPCC becomes a strong contender as far as resale value.  Even if you have to sell it you are only risking at most a $150 loss... if that.  I don't see the BMPCC going on ebay for $300 any time soon.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I never answered these kind of questions this bluntly but, get the 5D. Just get it and start shooting, easily.

From my experience with it, blackmagic pocket is a flawed camera that's almost unusable compared to the market it's competing in. As others mentioned everywhere:

1-You can't delete clips in-camera
2-You can't erase a memory card. You have to go back home or find a mac store to do it when you're out.
3-Camera stops recording without warning when the card is full, god knows when,
4-You need to carry a little bag full of batteries to shoot a normal day

I can't work with a camera that has these 4 flaws, simple as that. And I call these 4 items "flaws" not simply lack of features. If they fix these, I will like and use them again.

There's another list for the features lacking, which are annoying but not system-breakers:

1-Horrible screen/reflective/scratchable/hard to see
2-No waveforms or historgrams
3-No audio. Period. This camera can not record audio.
4-No live WB adjustment.
5-No variable framerate above 30p
6-Very limited ISO range, poor sensitivity
7-Too big a format for the SD media (ProRes HQ only, no LT) or Cinema DNG (2:1)
8-No external controls for adjusting settings, only through menus
9-Camera adjusts Iris for you everytime you turn it on

I can go on... It's very hard to find any other cameras on the market that you can write a list of 15 flawed/missing items and still be able to continue writing. The benefit you get from dealing with all this pain, is a good, gradable image, and low price. Not worth it for me, but that's just me.

The 5D has that benefit, great, gradable raw image, but without about 11-12 of these items on the list above. Go for it if you have the money. It's a joy to shoot with compared to this BM prototype.

I would never get the pocket camera unless, I really really really need raw, and cannot pay over 1K...

The 500$ cut also sold one to the guy quoted above ;)

But really mainly for the firmware upgrade intiative. I trust they will have a complete / usable camera now. If the firmware stayed the same, I wouldn't even buy their 4K camera for 200$.

The camera offers a lovely image, one of the best bellow 20k really, and all the camera's issues can be solved by firmware upgrades, and BM seem to be on the right track