Panasonic LX8 with 4K video - $899?

Julian

According to Photorumors:

http://photorumors.com/2014/06/08/the-new-panasonic-lx8-camera-will-have-4k-video-and-900-price-tag/

The Panasonic LX8 will be the successor of the LX7. Expected half of july (the LX camera's have had a tight 2 year renewal schedule). It will be a contender for the RX100 III and probably have a bigger sensor than the 1/1.7-inch chip in the LX7. Not sure which size.

New rumor: 4K video and $899 price tag.

I'd say - Why not? smartphones are able to shoot 4K... so a high end compact shouldn't have trouble with it. Sony's 1 inch sensor also does 4K in the AX100.

Awesomesauce! Nice B-cam for the GH4 ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree. Excited for the official announcement! :D

Yeah, I've just read up on that...

~ http://photorumors.com/2014/06/08/the-new-panasonic-lx8-camera-will-have-4k-video-and-900-price-tag/

I have the LX-7 with me just about every day. It beats using a smartphone, gives you lots of creative and manual posibilities and the lens is awesome. Still it's pocketable enough to put along in a compartment of a bag or your coat pocket. I mean I love my GH2, GH4 and E-M1, but it's like the girls you're dating, you take 'em out from time to time and magic happens. My LX-7 is more like the trusty best friend you know you can always count on to be there. Would be wicked if it was a mixture between the LX-7 and the RX100M3. And then sports 4K. Great B-roll to go along with the GH4?

I was thinking about getting a replacement for the LX-7. At first I wanted to see what the RX100M3 was all about, but it wasn't my kind of cookie. Then I was like... maybe I'll take the GM1 with small zoomlens. I can also throw on one of the pancakes... but now the LX-8 is lurking around the corner. What a great way to replace the LX-7. Really curious about more specs. June 16th!

Oh wow! About two months ago I e-mailed 'em they should come up with a successor to the FZ200 and here it is now! :P

Very nice to see! All supercool features.

Although the FZ200 really had something going for it, being the first constant f/2.8 bridgecamera/superzoom. Olympus and Sony really paid attention and brought out their own constant f/2.8 aperture camera's with a bit of zoom to 'em: the Stylus 1 and RX10. So it's kind of a shame the Panasonic now runs from f/2.8 to f/4. Not that I encourage people to zoom whilst shooting video. But it's might be a bit of an inconvenience overall. But in return you get a pretty wide zoomrange. 25-400mm is nice. Although I would've liked to see it start a little wider, rather than being able to zoom in all the way to 400mm. But I kinda get it, in the end it's still is marketed as a bridgecamera/superzoom, as a follow up to the FZ200. The 1" sensor is of course a brilliant move and being able to record 4K will really up the ante here.

I will definitly checkout these camera's. I really loved my Canon PowerShot SX1 IS superzoom/bridge, back in the day. Some 1080p video's I shot on that were so awesome it totally was the reason I'm excited about shooting video today. I loved the all-in-one flexible solution, also for photography. There really is an appeal to it.

Panasonic is making wave for 4K this year!

Now I need to decide either FZ1000 or LX8 for GH4 BCam..

FZ1000 comes with 5 Axis Hyrbid+ OIS, so I guess for handheld it will be better than GH4 + Power OIS

FZ1000 4K video sample

• 1 month later...

I think this is the only thing 4k is good for for the majority of people ('8mp burst mode').

I suppose a very select few will be using 4k mode for home videos and playing back on their 4k TV. What % of the public has 4k?

I prefer to see them put the dough into improving 1080p. Though perhaps providing 4k means better 1080p? If that makes sense. If the optics and engine are improved to handle 4k, perhaps it will 'automatically' mean better 1080p by default is what I mean.

I think a $200 compact will meet my needs. But I still really want this thing.... Checking everyday for release news.