GH4 Cinema 4K + Iscorama

nahua

My first test of using the GH4 with Cinema 4K setting at 24hz.  Also my first test with my "new" Iscorama 36.  I had a hard time adapting it to a rails system, but it's OK for now.  I finally understand what it's like to rack focus, as well as how sharp it is.  I have to do more tests though to see what I really prefer.  I like the SLR Magic a LOT for run n gun, and it is just so easy, and I really don't need diopters.  However it really isn't as sharp as the Iscorama.  The other option is my Sankor 2x but that's way more bulky and heavy although just as sharp wide open as the Iscorama.

I used diopters in this video, that's how I got close focus.  +0.5, +1 and +2.  I'll do a test using the SLR Magic Achromat +0.33 and +1.33 later.  The fllter thread is different though, the Iscorama being 72mm and the SLR Magic 77mm.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The SLR Magic is different.  See it has a Near/Normal focus ring.  I'm usually quite lazy, so I either stick it at Near or Normal, not in between.  But to get accurate focus at F2.8 or larger, you need to get it right.  This focus ring doesn't have any calibrating marks, it's different for each taking lens.  At least with 2x projector lenses there's a solid distance gauge with accurate marks.  But SLR Magic doesn't.  So I have to guess depending on what I see on the LCD screen.  It can get frustrating, but I find that most times I shoot close (under 5 feet) to far (20 feet+ or infinity) with little in between, so it doesn't matter too much.

Using the Iscorama though, set the taking lens at infinity or close to it, and you can rack focus easily.  Of course minimum focus distance is 5 feet so diopters are needed.  But the image is so sharp at wide open apertures.  SLR Magic is really sharp for 40mm to 85mm (FF).  Over 100mm(FF) needs the +0.33 diopter to sharpen the image.

I'm just debating if it's worth having the Iscorama.  Although the image is so sharp, I can achieve something close to it with the SLR Magic.  And for run and gun shooting, the SLR Magic is great.

In my video I used the SLR Magic Anamorphot with the Panasonic 12-35mm X lens.  I used all autofocus, and I set the Anamorphot to either Near or Normal, never in between.  No diopters at all.  I just couldn't risk dropping it into the water and losing it especially when it was getting so dark and there were so many people.  All closeups were in the Near position.  That is the key to using the Anamorphot especially for run and gun situations.  I could never shoot this video with the Iscorama or any 2x projector behemoth lenses.

My first test of using the GH4 with Cinema 4K setting at 24hz.  Also my first test with my "new" Iscorama 36.  I had a hard time adapting it to a rails system, but it's OK for now.  I finally understand what it's like to rack focus, as well as how sharp it is.  I have to do more tests though to see what I really prefer.  I like the SLR Magic a LOT for run n gun, and it is just so easy, and I really don't need diopters.  However it really isn't as sharp as the Iscorama.  The other option is my Sankor 2x but that's way more bulky and heavy although just as sharp wide open as the Iscorama.

I used diopters in this video, that's how I got close focus.  +0.5, +1 and +2.  I'll do a test using the SLR Magic Achromat +0.33 and +1.33 later.  The fllter thread is different though, the Iscorama being 72mm and the SLR Magic 77mm.

Hey would you mind posting your work flow in regards to desqueezing and exporting. I have a setup already for my bmcc 2.5k raw and gh2. But I'm trying to get an idea for 4K, when I get my GH4 soon.

I'm wondering if I can use the same work flow on the GH4, as I do with my current setup.

Hey would you mind posting your work flow in regards to desqueezing and exporting. I have a setup already for my bmcc 2.5k raw and gh2. But I'm trying to get an idea for 4K, when I get my GH4 soon.
I'm wondering if I can use the same work flow on the GH4, as I do with my current setup.

I am also interested to know the workflow for gh4 cinema 4k + anamorphic combination. Asked about this in my recent topic about anamorphic rendering out of NLE with correct settings...

I use Premiere Pro, but it's the same as any anamorphic project.  I would just use 50% for the size of the footage.  So I drop it in the timeline, scale 50%, then select resize to sequence (my sequence set at 1920x800).  This can be done in After Effects too, I think it's conform to comp.  I don't know what the command is for FCPX or Vegas, but I would assume that there's something similar in those programs.  Then edit like normal - cut, add effects, render.  I don't render to full size (like 3840x1600) because it's just too slow, and most delivery is for 1080P on Vimeo anyway.

I use Premiere Pro, but it's the same as any anamorphic project.  I would just use 50% for the size of the footage.  So I drop it in the timeline, scale 50%, then select resize to sequence (my sequence set at 1920x800).  This can be done in After Effects too, I think it's conform to comp.  I don't know what the command is for FCPX or Vegas, but I would assume that there's something similar in those programs.  Then edit like normal - cut, add effects, render.  I don't render to full size (like 3840x1600) because it's just too slow, and most delivery is for 1080P on Vimeo anyway.

Sounds good, that's similar to my work flow too. I render to 3164x1080 for a stretch, or a 1920x655 for squeeze. Thanks!