Need help with anamorphic export settings

Teemu

Hi there anamorphic shooters!

I need someone to explain me as clearly as possible how am I going to get right aspect ratio and best result out from Premiere Pro after editing some anamorphic material. Sory if this is stupid question but I am a bit lost all the settings and aspectratios etc.

So, I bought Iscomorphot 8/1.5x adapter. Shot with GH4 and now I have edited my video and would like to export it. I have on timeline material that is shot in 1080p and 4k (yes, that was my mistake. Wanted to shoot all 4k but first day shootings came back in 1080p thought I was shooting 4k) 4k is shot in 3840x2160 (after my 1080p mistake thought it would be easier to get these two format to match in edit.)

I have bought Andrew's great anamorphic shooters quide but still after reading it I am bit confused. If I now want to export best quality anamorphic video out from my Premiere for web use:

1. Just output 1920x820 (for 2.66:1 ratio) resolution from Premiere?
2. Should I first export the 4k files and bring them back in right resolution (1920x820) and after that render everything out again?

Sorry for quite long text. But hope someone could help me with this, thanks!

Ps. If I shoot more anamorphic videos in future, should I use GH4 4k UHD (3840x2160) or 4kC (4096x2160)?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1920x820 is not 2,66 ratio. I personally use 1920x816 (or 800), as you like. This is only for rendering. Editing should be done in higher resolution, for example 2560x1080 (sequence) or even more. With stretching only horizontal to cca 190% for 2x anamorphics(or as you like) you crop the sides off, You can move the image left or right in EFFECTS-Motion MENU. Then apply some effects, if you want and render to 2560x1080 or 1920x816, as you like - as this is final product. This works for me, somebody else has probably different approach.

Regards

I might be wrong , but IMO it's not the right aspect ratio, I like the video, keep sharing!!!

Thanks

Thanks for comment and liking! :)

You might be right. That's the problem I have had with this first anamorphic project and in the future also if I don't get it right. Actually I have this problem always that it's a bit difficult for me to see if something is not in right aspect ratio. Have watched many movies that are 4:3 in 16:9 and then noticed after watching that "oh, it was 4:3 movie" when been looking dvd box :D

If you know, or anyone else what the aspect ratio should be please help. This was made in Premiere pro using these values that Matthias posted above. I made sequence 2560x1080 and stretched the image vertically to fill entire image area. Then exported as 1920x816 (also had to stretch there again a bit because it left in top and bottom some black bars) and I chose "stretch to fill".

So please someone clear this for me how should I do it.

For me when I shoot in 1080p, I edit in Vegas Pro or FCPX though. I either use a stretched format of 3840x1080 and render it out. Or use a squeezed format and render the video to 1920x540. This if your filming on a 16:9 sensor with a 2x anamorph lens like I do. Hopefully this might help you, unfortunately i don't have any experience with Premiere Pro. Although I should though!

I even apply the same techniques on my BMCC, GH2, GH4K but with GH4K I can either do a 4K, 2K, or 1080p.

For me when I shoot in 1080p, I edit in Vegas Pro or FCPX though. I either use a stretched format of 3840x1080 and render it out. Or use a squeezed format and render the video to 1920x540. This if your filming on a 16:9 sensor with a 2x anamorph lens like I do. Hopefully this might help you, unfortunately i don't have any experience with Premiere Pro. Although I should though!

I even apply the same techniques on my BMCC, GH2, GH4K but with GH4K I can either do a 4K, 2K, or 1080p.

Thanks for the tip. So as I shoot with 1.5x adapter in 16:9 sensor native stretched HD resolution would be 2880x1080 and squeezed would be 1920x720. Is that right?

Maybe I should try that next time :)

Sometimes the focus shifts and the aspect ratio is different.  There are a lot of adapters that say they are 1.5x or 2x but at minimum distance they might be 1.4x or something similar.  One thing I do is take video of something you know is circular - hula hoop, exercise ball, bicycle tire.  When you make a test, do it at minimum, middle and maximum distances.  Then in post you stretch the video horizontally until you get a circle.  It's not really the most "accurate" test, but at least you know by eye that you have the right aspect ratio.  Again, it will be different for certain types of anamorphic lenses.

Your video looks a bit dreamy, which cam was used? Taking lens and anamorphic should be focused, both of them.

Anyway, you choose the SEQUENCE settings upon the ratio you want to get in the final product. I prefer 1:2,35; if you'd like to have 1:2,66, you would do for example 2880x1080pix sequence. You want to preserve during editing most of original vertical resolution your camera outputs. Then you stretch the horizontal as much as needed for choosen sequence to look natural (or the circles look natural). I have modified some lens for closer focus. In that case it came out 1,5 to 1.6 ratio for 2x anamorphic lens. Anyway, sides (with 16:9 sensor) would be cropped out, as we have interest only in specified final ratio.

Then you render to 1920x816 (2.35), 1920x720 (2,67) or 2560x1080 - as you like...

Sometimes the focus shifts and the aspect ratio is different.  There are a lot of adapters that say they are 1.5x or 2x but at minimum distance they might be 1.4x or something similar.  One thing I do is take video of something you know is circular - hula hoop, exercise ball, bicycle tire.  When you make a test, do it at minimum, middle and maximum distances.  Then in post you stretch the video horizontally until you get a circle.  It's not really the most "accurate" test, but at least you know by eye that you have the right aspect ratio.  Again, it will be different for certain types of anamorphic lenses.

Great tip nahua. And simple practical way to see it by eye. Have to perform that tip with my adapter and taking lens sometime.

Your video looks a bit dreamy, which cam was used? Taking lens and anamorphic should be focused, both of them.

Anyway, you choose the SEQUENCE settings upon the ratio you want to get in the final product. I prefer 1:2,35; if you'd like to have 1:2,66, you would do for example 2880x1080pix sequence. You want to preserve during editing most of original vertical resolution your camera outputs. Then you stretch the horizontal as much as needed for choosen sequence to look natural (or the circles look natural). I have modified some lens for closer focus. In that case it came out 1,5 to 1.6 ratio for 2x anamorphic lens. Anyway, sides (with 16:9 sensor) would be cropped out, as we have interest only in specified final ratio.

Then you render to 1920x816 (2.35), 1920x720 (2,67) or 2560x1080 - as you like...

It's shot with Panasonic GH4 with Iscomorphot 8 1.5x adapter + Helios 40-2 and SLR Magic 35 1.4T lenses. Dreamy look was something that I fast after when making this video. Actually I prefer the dreamy and soft image look really much. It's quite personal thing, I think. Even the GH3 image with sharp panasonic lenses was something that I didn't like. Too sharp for my eyes, had to blur in post :) And GH4 with 4K is stepping again in new dimension with sharpness.

Iscomorphot should allow focus racking and only focus from the adapter. Although I noticed when I was shooting this video that focusing on both taking&adapter did help to focus more closer.

But thanks again Matthias for clearing things out. I am going towards conclusion here that... Just judge yourself what aspect you prefer and don't think too technically these things. As always should go. Don't think too much technics but the content and final output :)

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help me figure out what the aspect ratio is on this.  I'm having a hard time finding info to do the math.  https://vimeo.com/125673867

Settings were C4K with Sankor 2x Anamorphic attached to nikon 35mm 1.8.   I imported the files into Premiere, modified the footage to be 2x Anamorphic and dropped to create a new sequence in the same settings as clip.  Sequence was 4096x2160 in 2.0 Anamorphic PAR instead of 1.0 Square PAR.

Thanks appreciate any help.

Hey Steele,

the linked video got an aspect ratio of 3.55 (3840x1080px). You get this look when you shoot 16:9 (1.77) natively with your camera and use a 2x anamorphic adapter. Then in post you squeeze down your frame heigth to half the resolution.

e.g You shoot 3840x2160 and 2x anmorphic lens. In post you squash your height down to half of 2160 to desqueeze. So you export as 3840x1080. You then got the same aspect ratio as the linked video. Math behind the aspect ratio: 3840 / 1080 = 3.55

You shot in 4096x2160 when you desqueze your footage you´r left with a comp of 4096x1080 which has an aspect ratio of circa 3.8. If this is close enough for you you could leave the video like this. If not, you do have to crop down the frame width to 3840px so that your final comp is 3840x2160. This is exactly 3.55 and identical to the linked video.

Hope this isn´t too confusing :)

• 7 months later...

I have a similar question to the OP so thought I'd ask here instead starting a new topic.

I'm mixing 4K anamorphic footage with normal 16x9 4K footage from an a7rII. I'd like to know my maximum resolution I can export without scaling up.

My project settings in FCPX are 2880x1080 which will give me an aspect ratio of 2.66:1. I've stretched out the ana clips and scaled the 16x9 4K to 150%, chopping off the top & bottom.

Is my max res output at this ratio 3840x1080?

45 minutes ago, liamlumiere said:

I have a similar question to the OP so thought I'd ask here instead starting a new topic.

I'm mixing 4K anamorphic footage with normal 16x9 4K footage from an a7rII. I'd like to know my maximum resolution I can export without scaling up.

My project settings in FCPX are 2880x1080 which will give me an aspect ratio of 2.66:1. I've stretched out the ana clips and scaled the 16x9 4K to 150%, chopping off the top & bottom.

Is my max res output at this ratio 3840x1080?

IMO, only need to squeeze on vertical pixels.  Because "4K UHD is a resolution of 3840 pixels × 2160 lines (8.3 megapixels, aspect ratio 16:9) " from Google.