sanveer

I am curious why none have discussed the GH4 B&H Webcast, which I thought was pretty interesting, highlighting a few things that were either in doubt, or were things that users thought, needed to be addressed:

1.       Most people recording 96fps on the GH4, found the video rather soft. Panasonic (Matt Frazer) explained that one must set the shutter speed to 1/200, so that they get the right kind of sharpness for the image. 

2.       In the GH3, people could switch between the Shotgun and Stereo mic pickup pattern (on the Panasonic DMW-MS2), and, apparently, now, in the GH4, even the angle of pick up, for the shotgun can be adjusted, making it narrower or wider. And, also, apparently, it can be set, to self-adjust with a zoom lens, depending upon the amount of zoom employed. I think, on paper atleast, this feature seems amazing. 

3.       Also, there was a reporting of noise by many people, saying, that, there was a strange buzzing noise, coming from the GH4, at all settings. Panasonic explained this in the Live Webcast, saying, that this was due to the fact, that most plus in 3.5mm jack mics are not grounding out correctly, which is apparently due to the Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve Adaptor on Panasonic Mics vs Tip, Ring, Sleeve Adaptor on most other mics. They explained, that they understood that the mics are not grounding properly, and their engineers are working to resolve this issue now.

Did anyone else notice anything else extra, which wasn't already discussed, about the GH4. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I hate to say so, but after watching the first 30 minutes, I had to stop. It was like watching an overlong infomercial. And after having heard the Panasonic rep speak before, I think he just seems very uncomfortable or something in front of the camera. Maybe it's just my internet, but the stills and videos they showed (most of which we'd already seen before) looked awful. The production itself was quite poor as well. As for the 'zooming' microphone, that's nothing new: it was available on my TM-900 camcorder a long while back. The guys at the Camera Store are at least entertaining. Thumbs down.

I noticed in at about 1:15. 00 into the video the Panasonic rep said that many people thought the footage was too sharp using a Panny lens ..... I don't recall which one.  

I also saw the Panasonic rep say K4 won't hit the mainstream for another 4 years. 

Also after a lot of double talk the Panny rep admitted the GH4 doesn't preform as well as the 5D3 in low light contrary to what "the British Film maker " Anderw Reis suggest. 

I have a question concerning the audio XLR interface unit you purchase separately.  I had an XH-A1 with two XLR's....... in 8 years I think I used them twice.  The XLR's in camera strike me as somewhat outdated technology these days, I've always used external recorders, because at least the Canon XH-A1's had such low quality recording capabilities I think like 8 bit or something that even with XLR's it forced me to look for a better device.

Do people still used XLR's in their cameras?  Perhaps if you are just doing interviews?  For $2000.00 you can buy some pretty good portable audio interfaces these days. 

I noticed in at about 1:15. 00 into the video the Panasonic rep said that many people thought the footage was too sharp using a Panny lens ..... I don't recall which one.  

I also saw the Panasonic rep say K4 won't hit the mainstream for another 4 years. 

Also after a lot of double talk the Panny rep admitted the GH4 doesn't preform as well as the 5D3 in low light contrary to what "the British Film maker " Anderw Reis suggest. 

@Michael Thames So the GH4 sucks! Hurrah. So, what's your point?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

For $2000.00 you can buy some pretty good portable audio interfaces these days. 

We can get external monitors with peaking so the GH4 monitor and peaking and zebras are useless, also we can get external battery solutions so the internal battery is not needed, we can also buy external recorders so internal recording codecs are not needed. 

Having good audio in-camera with proper XLR inputs and audio meter/knobs is invaluable for many of us.

Plus: you definitely don't pay the 2000$ for two XLR inputs, as the Panasonic rep said, that would be a very expensive XLR module!

It has 2x 3G-SDI outputs capable of outputting 4K 10bit 4:2:2 signal to existing external recorders like the Oddessy Q7 and AJA Ki PRO and 2x HD-SDI outputs plus a Full HDMI output. It has build it audio meter monitor and knobs to control both XLR channels, and phantom power. Also a Timecode input.

It's a professional tool for professionals who exactly need these connections. If you don't find a need for it, no one is pointing a gun at your head to buy it. The camera is sold separately for 1600$! 

@Michael Thames So the GH4 sucks! Hurrah. So, what's your point?

You asked for comments, so that was my comment.  If I have a point it would be there are other cameras out there to consider than what being hyped here. 

BTW, I watched that video last week, I almost posted it as well. 

We can get external monitors with peaking so the GH4 monitor and peaking and zebras are useless, also we can get external battery solutions so the internal battery is not needed, we can also buy external recorders so internal recording codecs are not needed. 

Having good audio in-camera with proper XLR inputs and audio meter/knobs is invaluable for many of us.

Plus: you definitely don't pay the 2000$ for two XLR inputs, as the Panasonic rep said, that would be a very expensive XLR module!

It has 2x 3G-SDI outputs capable of outputting 4K 10bit 4:2:2 signal to existing external recorders like the Oddessy Q7 and AJA Ki PRO and 2x HD-SDI outputs plus a Full HDMI output. It has build it audio meter monitor and knobs to control both XLR channels, and phantom power. Also a Timecode input.

It's a professional tool for professionals who exactly need these connections. If you don't find a need for it, no one is pointing a gun at your head to buy it. The camera is sold separately for 1600$! 

Got it...... thanks!

This is becoming almost surreal... and I take it your response to the video is to go out and purchase a... Canon 5D MkIII??

No, I think the point is that the traction behind these cameras are not all necessarily unanimous. Some people love it, other's don't. So look at it and make your own decision! There are quite a few things that don't impress me about the GH4, but I still think its a fine camera for most things.

Nothing wrong with a reminder now and then that our tastes differ and YMMV. There isn't any one camera that everyone agrees is perfect.

I haven't watched this, but as for the Panasonic rep seeming uncomfortable on screen (assuming this is the same rep as earlier videos): I much prefer his honest, factual style to the cheeseballs Panasonic hires to be their "Lumix Luminary" shills. He's knowledgeable and seems to actually shoot at least occasionally, and understands that the market these videos are reaching (serious amateurs/indie folks as well as pros) knows its stuff and just wants specific questions answered and problems addressed.

This is becoming almost surreal... and I take it your response to the video is to go out and purchase a... Canon 5D MkIII??

I joined this forum because it said EOSHD being I have a 5D3 I was interested.  Since I joined the forum I rarely see a thread about the 5D3 or any Canon.  If there is a thread it's usually about how outdated it is, how Canon won't respond to customers etc.  I do notice endless threads about the GH4, in fact just about every other one.  

So being an open minded person, albeit somewhat tired of the Canon bashing. I decided to take a serious look at the GH4, I'm not into the 4k right now but perhaps as things progress with my new computer, I will move in that direction, so this leaves me to look at the image which I find a lot of fault with, digitalized image due to the sharpness, a small sensor which doesn't deliver a shallow DOF as well as what I'm used to, and not as good in low light as what I'm accostomed to. 

If I dare bring up these issues I get slammed, and lectured to if you don't form a line and jump on the GH4 bandwagon.  Perhaps when the trolls quit slamming me, I'll quit bringing up faults with the GH4.  

I haven't watched this, but as for the Panasonic rep seeming uncomfortable on screen (assuming this is the same rep as earlier videos): I much prefer his honest, factual style to the cheeseballs Panasonic hires to be their "Lumix Luminary" shills. He's knowledgeable and seems to actually shoot at least occasionally, and understands that the market these videos are reaching (serious amateurs/indie folks as well as pros) knows its stuff and just wants specific questions answered and problems addressed.

I liked him too!  I would almost buy one from him.... ha ha!   I also liked his honesty about the low light performance compared to the 5D3.  While the two other guys were talking like fine tuned politicians, the Panasonic rep. kinda stopped them, and came out and said it in plain English........ it's not as good as the 5d3.   

Very informative hour and half for both the plus and negatives. 

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

Mod's please. There's a bull in the camera shop. Pull the trigger. You know in your hearts it's the humane thing to do ...

@Matt He's too entertaining to dismiss that lightly. Especially when he comes out and says that the Panasonic representative all but admitted that the 5DIII is a superior camera. Anyhow, I'd better get some sleep now. It's 2:34AM here in VN. I spent the last few hours trying to figure out how I disabled a clip in the timeline of FCPX. Just a tip for those of you who have keyboard dexterity as bad as mine - don't select a clip in the timeline and hit 'v'! :)

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

Matt, seriously why don't you stalk someone else..... this is getting old!

I'm not stalking anyone mate. I came to this thread because it looked interesting. Then you crapped all over it.

If EOSHD isn't what you were expecting then why don't you go somewhere else?

I'm not stalking anyone mate. I came to this thread because it looked interesting. Then you crapped all over it.

If EOSHD isn't what you were expecting then why don't you go somewhere else?

If you and a couple of others would quit harassing me, I would enjoy it here.....