iscorama 54 focus modification - close focus

johnwe

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does anyone know how to do an iscorama 54 close focus modification?

Has anyone every heard of such a thing?

The 54 is not like the 36. The 35 has a thin plastic lip you can sand down and allow for a little closer focus. The 54 has large thick tabs that contact each other that would have to be cut off with a saw since they are so big you cannot sand them down. The 54 is a very solid sturdy lens, this is not a modification I would even consider for the 54. They only way would be to dissemble the lens to the point were you can keep focusing until the lens screws apart and just leave it dismantled, again not something I would want to do.

I have one of the focar close up diopters - trouble is they tend to cause vignetting. sort of a pain to use too.

So here's a unusual fact.

I believe the previous owner had the lens serviced in NY. The front ring with the serial number has a small hole drilled into it. After using the lens for a bit the focal ring started to sort of slip. What I finally figured out what that that ring had become loose and I was turning the lens outer ring without it turning the internal focussing heliod. or something like that. eventually it got out of whack and I lost infinity focus. But I gained close focus. I eventually used a lens wrench to loosen the front ring, align stuff and get it tightened up. But what I learned is that the lens has plenty or "rack" to focus close, but it does not appear to hold the ability to do infinity focus at the same time. Hope this makes some sense.

This made me think there might be a fairly simple way- maybe not exactly like the pre-36 way- but some sort of way to modify the lens for close focus.

Well it does sound as if you're nearly there anyway, so i'd [carefully] investigate a little to see what you can do.

You do ask yourself with the 54, why they didn't put the stopper a little further out by the edge so we could focus closer. Especially since with the 54 you aren't turning 360+ to get from 2m to Infinity.

I'm surprised you're getting vignetting with just 1 focar, with 2 stacked together & a v.wide lens i'd understand.

The old blu-tack inside the lens cavity works, but there's always a chance it'll fall out!