Will Canon EVER respond to competitors?

sandro

I completely agree with the video. Nikon is being really stupid. They have no video market to protect and they could destroy everyone.

hm, maybe it's not that easy - N is 100% depending on sony's sensors

D3, D3x, D800 and not to forget the smaller crop cams, nearly all of them have Sony inside.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's possible that part of Nikon's deal with Sony means that they can't add certain video features to their cameras.

I remember reading somewhere that Olympus wasn't able to add focus peaking in to their cameras for a while because of such a contract. And even now, Olympus' focus peaking is a really strange implementation. Remember also that the GH3 uses a Sony sensor. Maybe Sony disallows focus peaking to be used on any cameras that use their sensor except their own?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's possible that part of Nikon's deal with Sony means that they can't add certain video features to their cameras.

I remember reading somewhere that Olympus wasn't able to add focus peaking in to their cameras for a while because of such a contract. And even now, Olympus' focus peaking is a really strange implementation. Remember also that the GH3 uses a Sony sensor. Maybe Sony disallows focus peaking to be used on any cameras that use their sensor except their own?

I have no idea how they operate but I believe this is far from being true. Sony has a semicomductor business where it designes, develops and actually manufactures sensors, to be sold to various other companies including cell phone, medical, research, military, scientific, and camera companies. It's a huge separate business and one that I would believe is based on known business contracts.

Nikon is paying these companies (Sony, Toshiba, Aptina, etc) to make sensors for their highly successful cameras, and these companies are actually competeting to win and be used inside their cameras, I wouldn't believe that the largest sensor fabrication company makes such deals, it's bad for their name. But then again, I have no idea.

My biggest problem is lenses.

With Canon I can get a 10-18mm  for €250 ,  50mm 1.8m for €80. Now say how much would it cost to get the same FOV and light on m43 sensor? Or on a Sony-E mount? The sony version of the 50mm 1.8 costs €250 alone and I don't know about the quality, secondly the 10-18mm variant costs €800! So I would need to pay like 10 times for what I have now but with a good 1080p. Thus a good quality 1080p with cheap DSRL form Canon would fix my problems. Am I the only one?

I gave up and bought three bmpccs for $500 a pop.  I've sold one and plan on selling another for a substantial profit.  I'll probably get a speedbooster for $100 off.

I'll keep my T3i for photography.  It' ridiculous though that I've given hundreds of dollars of my money to Blackmagic and Metabones.  All that could have easily gone to Canon.

I'll see how my BMPCC adventures go.  But by basically giving me the camera for free they've ensured I'm not going to be too harsh of a critic.

GH4 and a7s are nice but a free pocket camera can't be passed up.

We'll know in less than one month what Canon wants to do. 

Not much they can do.  Thousands of videographers just got a bmpcc.  I doubt they will come out with anything that competes with the bmpcc for less than $1,000... let alone less than $500.

I have no idea how they operate but I believe this is far from being true. Sony has a semicomductor business where it designes, develops and actually manufactures sensors, to be sold to various other companies including cell phone, medical, research, military, scientific, and camera companies. It's a huge separate business and one that I would believe is based on known business contracts.

Nikon is paying these companies (Sony, Toshiba, Aptina, etc) to make sensors for their highly successful cameras, and these companies are actually competeting to win and be used inside their cameras, I wouldn't believe that the largest sensor fabrication company makes such deals, it's bad for their name. But then again, I have no idea.

Sony probably makes more profit selling sensors to Nikon than selling sensors in their own cameras.  Kind of like how MSFT makes more money from the Andriod market than its own Windows Phone ecosystem.

• 1 month later...