Will Canon EVER respond to competitors?

sandro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah I think Philip Bloom beat you too it with that joke a while ago ...

Unfortunately user Wibblewobbles on the Rockpapershotgun blog beat you to pointing out that I had said something that had been said before on the internet by some years.

FYI, bluetack works. Maybe PB spied me using it successfully, as I have been for years ;) I do spend a lot of time filming in Brighton and London

I've been using blutack for years too man. I was using it in the 80's when I was a kid. Don't tell me about blutak man. There ain't nothing I don't know about that stuff. I'm the f'ing blutack king. I've even blutacked your mother ...

It seems we'll know soon enough is Canon is ready to respond.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/07/canon-to-make-a-big-splash-at-photokina-cr2/

Depending on whether or not the announcements are a disappointment and if that new sensor tech is really "revolutionary" we may see Canon repeating the cycle again... or not.

DSLRs are already out of date for videography,and canon cameras always have overheat issues which make 4K video and high framerate became impossible,check out the C500,then you will understand 

Do you actually think that canon will deliver a dslr under the price of 3000$ that can do 4K video  which the cinema cam C300 doesn't provide?

Come on ~The manufacturers are not playing their game in this way.

I really don't understand why there is a lot of people still moaning about canon not releasing new cameras. There are so many other brands that did just that and are great, why do people always use canon cameras as a comparison. Or why are people always asking " Oh why canon, why? Why aren't you listening to me?". 

Get over it.

My biggest problem is lenses.

With Canon I can get a 10-18mm  for €250 ,  50mm 1.8m for €80. Now say how much would it cost to get the same FOV and light on m43 sensor? Or on a Sony-E mount? The sony version of the 50mm 1.8 costs €250 alone and I don't know about the quality, secondly the 10-18mm variant costs €800! So I would need to pay like 10 times for what I have now but with a good 1080p. Thus a good quality 1080p with cheap DSRL form Canon would fix my problems. Am I the only one?

With Canon I can get a 10-18mm  for €250 ,  50mm 1.8m for €80. Now say how much would it cost to get the same FOV and light on m43 sensor? Or on a Sony-E mount? The sony version of the 50mm 1.8 costs €250 alone and I don't know about the quality, secondly the 10-18mm variant costs €800! So I would need to pay like 10 times for what I have now but with a good 1080p. Thus a good quality 1080p with cheap DSRL form Canon would fix my problems. Am I the only one?

now I see ,there are many canon lens owners like you,hoping that canon can do something,but those line-skipping Dslrs really wasting all your good quality lens ,moreover if you think about no power-zoom , quite-AF motor and smooth focusing ring ,ect

There are endless demands, dude

• Administrators

On those two lenses you have a point and I also think the Canon lens range is the best overall for full frame, but the EF-S APS-C lenses... Hmmm. Not as much choice really. Good job there's a lot of third party manufacturers like Tokina and Sigma.

now I see ,there are many canon lens owners like you,hoping that canon can do something,but those line-skipping Dslrs really wasting all your good quality lens ,moreover if you think about no power-zoom , quite-AF motor and smooth focusing ring ,ect

There are endless demands, dude

A non-Canon 1080p in 2014 is not really a high demand, but i understand that would possibly destroy the C300 sales since you would expect similar image details with a newer sensor.

I don't think Canon would release anything beyond the capabilities of the new Sony A7s. But this doesn't matter because we have the Sony A7s :) 

I'm sure there will be even better options in the near future too. Just keep your eyes peeled!

Do you actually think that canon will deliver a dslr under the price of 3000$ that can do 4K video  which the cinema cam C300 doesn't provide?

People/companies who shoot with the C300 don't do it just because of the added image quality, they do it because of the form factor, XLR inputs, decent preamps, etc, etc. Having 4K on a DSLR is not what would make them ditch the C300.

People/companies who shoot with the C300 don't do it just because of the added image quality, they do it because of the form factor, XLR inputs, decent preamps, etc, etc. Having 4K on a DSLR is not what would make them ditch the C300.

Please do not forget that 6 years ago,people did think that 5D mark II can't  compete with DV cams ,because of its lack of many video-needed  features  (like what you mentioned as c300's advantages)

But nowaday 5D series are being used in filming many different videography works,including cinema projects.

The most important point is Image quality, always come the first to one's mind

Canon know that well ,and that is why they only provide advance sampling for the C series ,while none of their DSLR or  Mirrorless cameras get better sampling except line-skipping

On the other hand, Sony and Panasonic do provide super advance sampling for their cheap DCs, like the RX10 GM1 G6

I think that Canon have to update their C  series first,then comes a dslr using better sampling  <_<

I don't think Canon would release anything beyond the capabilities of the new Sony A7s. But this doesn't matter because we have the Sony A7s :)

I'm sure there will be even better options in the near future too. Just keep your eyes peeled!

Even getting a decent 1080p from Canon would be miracle after 6 years of the same crap.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's not at all true that if Canon produced a DSLR with a good video image it would destroy the C line. The DSLR line in not in competition with the high-end camcorder line, and if Canon believes otherwise that's utterly stupid.

I can assure you all that the C300 owners will not be trading their cameras for a 750D if they fixed moire, gave a little more detail, and better lowlight performance compared to a 700D,

I am guessing Canon will give the next 7D a great 1080p image, and hope all APS-C users upgrade to that, then a year or more after, that image will trickle down to 750D/80D, and by that time C300/100 with 4K and/or 10bit will be existing.

So I don't expect a sub-1000$ Canon APS-C to have a good image anytime soon. Get the A6000 with an EF adapter or a D5300 if you want a 600-700$ video camera.

DSLRs are already out of date for videography,and canon cameras always have overheat issues which make 4K video and high framerate became impossible,check out the C500,then you will understand 

Come on ~The manufacturers are not playing their game in this way.

DSLRs are far from dead in videography. A7S and GH4 are two clear examples -though technically they are not DSLRs- of photo cameras designed with the videographer in mind.

Having said that, I do not expect the 7DMkII to have 4K video, and I don't think anyone is. It MAY have a better codec (h.265), improved detail/moire/aliasing, some video features such as zebras and focus peaking, maybe even a headphone jack.

But mostly it will have improved specs for stills. Keep in mind that the 7D is still Canon's flagship APS-C camera. That is the top of the line for professional sports and nature shooters, and it is almost 5 years old.

DSLRs are far from dead in videography. A7S and GH4 are two clear examples -though technically they are not DSLRs- of photo cameras designed with the videographer in mind.

Most of the current cinema cameras and video camcorders are actually  mirrorless cameras,they don't need OVF,they  metering light on sensor.

While Dslrs need a light metering sensor on top of the  mirror to do so,and no matter how great their phase detection AF is ,it only works for stills 

Light metering  sensorã€phase detection AF unitã€OVFã€mirror ,those  parts of a dslr actuallly useless when shooting a video,but they take up 30-40% of a dslr's value, which meams  30-40% of your investments in dslr will be wasted if you are not using it for photography.

And without those useless parts,they become mirrorless cameras , that is why GH4 and A7s make full use of their design,so they are  better for videography not only because they provide great image quality but also there are not waste of videographers' money.

• 2 weeks later...