Will Canon EVER respond to competitors?

sandro

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I still shoot with the Canon APS-Cs when I go light just because they take Canon lenses and the usability advantage over practically all the competitors, especially with magiclantern. The Canon UI is lovely and very intuitive, shutter and aperture and ISO are litterally under your right hand's finger tips. Touch a wheel and you change shutter, the other wheel and you change aperture, a button and change ISO. You push a WB button and dial in the kelvin with the scroll wheel under your finger tip, and get realtime preview of the changes. The menus are simple and straight forward and organised in a very neat way. Touch the button under your thumb and get 10x zoom to get perfect focus, plus you have highly customizable focus peaking. Exposure adjustment is easy, you have a live waveform monitor and histogram and adjustable zebras for both over and under exposure, it's incredibly easy to nail exposure.

You can draw you custom crop lines for any aspect ratio for accurate framing. And audio meters whilst recording, and preview LUT (Picture style) for framing and exposure and when you hit record it records your preffered flat LUT to the memory card.

Canon cameras are just so easy and intuitive to use, you don't think for a second while using them. Though Magiclantern is the main reason for that but also Canon did a great job with the UI.

Just give us a Canon entry level DSLR with no aliasing and moire and keep it hackable for magiclantern and it will dominate the low-budget market. Resolution is fine and colors are superb and ergonomics are perfect. Just fix that damn moire and aliasing. It's almost making these cameras unusable!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Panasonic should do GH4s with pure 4K res sensor ( I asume that would be 8Mpix sensor) and then add even more features to it like 60 fps for 4K and 200mbit recording in 24 fps mode and 400Mbit recording in 60 fps mode..  UHS-II cards etc. Better low light performance.

Make it 4K video hybrid camera first and 8Mpix MFT photo camera second. The battery grip should be removable and there should be different sizes of battery grips. Basically the GH4s could be synched to another one for 3D video two cameras side by side and then they would use external power.

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

I still shoot with the Canon APS-Cs when I go light just because they take Canon lenses and the usability advantage over practically all the competitors, especially with magiclantern. The Canon UI is lovely and very intuitive, shutter and aperture and ISO are litterally under your right hand's finger tips. Touch a wheel and you change shutter, the other wheel and you change aperture, a button and change ISO. You push a WB button and dial in the kelvin with the scroll wheel under your finger tip, and get realtime preview of the changes. The menus are simple and straight forward and organised in a very neat way. Touch the button under your thumb and get 10x zoom to get perfect focus, plus you have highly customizable focus peaking. Exposure adjustment is easy, you have a live waveform monitor and histogram and adjustable zebras for both over and under exposure, it's incredibly easy to nail exposure.

You can draw you custom crop lines for any aspect ratio for accurate framing. And audio meters whilst recording, and preview LUT (Picture style) for framing and exposure and when you hit record it records your preffered flat LUT to the memory card.

Canon cameras are just so easy and intuitive to use, you don't think for a second while using them. Though Magiclantern is the main reason for that but also Canon did a great job with the UI.

Just give us a Canon entry level DSLR with no aliasing and moire and keep it hackable for magiclantern and it will dominate the low-budget market. Resolution is fine and colors are superb and ergonomics are perfect. Just fix that damn moire and aliasing. It's almost making these cameras unusable!

Low light improvement would be nice too.

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

If you want a Super 35mm camera for cheap... the only thing that is better than the 60D but with the same kind of features is the D5300. Pretty sad state of affairs really!

Are you interested in the recent Nikon Hacker developments at all? I haven't seen any very conclusive videos yet but it's intresting. The 60mbps D5200 looks like quite an appealing camera, and it sounds like they will be able to hack the D5300 once firmware is released.

Canon don't respond to each move by the perceived competition, because they don't have to. Sony are trying to innovate aggressively because they have to, and because it makes sense in their situation. Unlike Canon, they're not the market leader who benefits from the status quo on the market. Until the world around them changes enough and forces them to change their course, too. 

Meanwhile, if you're not happy with the pace Canon is moving, simply choose another product. Simple as that. 

You do know it  will cause a painful loss when you swicth from one brand to another,right?

Canon's strengths is in the colour science and lenses.

I just wish they would push the price / performance barrier far more and surprise us occasionally with some in ya face innovation!!

Hey,Andrew.I have heared that the picture profile (especially the colour settings)on A7S can achieve any type of colour .

Simulate the canon-like colour is also possible,not any other  camera in the same price range peovide that .

Sony officially provided a recommended PP file for FS100 to match with the colour of 5D2 ,but do not know if it works the same on A7S ,its content is listed below:

Black level:- 15
Gamma: ITU - 709
Black gamma: range low, level + 4 
Knee:manual point 75% Slope 0
color mode : ITU - 709 matrix ,level + 1 
Color level: + 3
Color phas:-4
Color depth:
R – 3
G – 7
B – 4
C – 6
M – 7
Y – 5
Details: + 7 

when you get a A7S ,you can try it if you like . :P

So,is canon still have their advantage in colour science?I doubt that~

um,then we talk about canon lens .As I know that Dual- pixels autofocus only work silently on STM lens.any other type of  EF lens will make  annoying noise ,which make you won't be able to record sound at the scene.
That means all your non-STM type lens(Especially high-quality L lens) will be wasted for future investment, that quite disappont a lot of canon users who need AF very much. and forcing them to buy new STM lens ,moreover,you cann't expect  canon to fix that problem by changing all len- motors to STM 

so ,yeah I know Canon make good lens ,but for future investments,not a good choice.

Panasonic should do GH4s with pure 4K res sensor ( I asume that would be 8Mpix sensor)

Why?  Then they don't have something that appeals to the stills shooters.  What they have now has 1:1 pixel mapping for video anyway.

Michael

Why?  Then they don't have something that appeals to the stills shooters.  What they have now has 1:1 pixel mapping for video anyway.

Michael

Yeah. IT might be so.. 8 Mpix is not plenty (I should know since I'm looking towards max resolution with Nikon D810 for stills). Correct me if I'm wrong I kinda remembered that 4K is 8Mpix or 12 .. it sure is not 16 or is it. o_O  ?? Anyways my core point remains that make it purely 4K video resolution sensor and perhaps the still shooters could be compensated with lowest possible noise of any MFT camera and something mad like 24FPS or more like the Nikon 1V1  consider 30FPS with best MFT glass.. that could have professional appeal allready. 

I have a feeling they'll do what they always do. Wait about a year or two on everyone else... then make the best one ;)

I still have Canon Glass if that turns out to be the case :) .. I could use 4K 7D mark II with a Wildlife stills aspect. A true APC-C hybrid camera anyone .. perhaps Canon should realease a external OLED viewfinder with 7D II .. IF ONLY .. I kinda like the idea of real viewfinder for picture taking then proper connector based good quality external EVF that is not part of the camera.

When I tested the GH4's EVF I found it still lacking vs real Prism viewfinder for picture taking. Even tho the GH4 EVF is from another planet vs the GH2's . 

• 1 month later...

I really don't understand why there is a lot of people still moaning about canon not releasing new cameras. There are so many other brands that did just that and are great, why do people always use canon cameras as a comparison. Or why are people always asking " Oh why canon, why? Why aren't you listening to me?". 

Get over it.

You don't just invest in a camera. You invest in a system. In a brand.

You buy lenses, accessorize with compatible add-ons.

It's (not exactly, but kinda) like years ago you bought a car with all the extra bells and wistles the brand had to offer.

Though... after a few years what seemed new back then is long gone and the competition is putting focus on other things like hybrid/electric, cooler designs, awesome onboard computers with navigation and what not. You can keep driving your car, but the fuel economy is bad, it looks really dated and compared to what's around at the competition, you start to get annoyed by what you have and want to get a new car. But... turning in your old car will only give you a nice worth if you turn it in with your brands cardealership. So you'd rather not have to sell your car for cheap and then change brands. There was something years ago about the brand you liked, you just want to upgrade to a newer version with better everything that's competitive with what other brands are doing.  But they refuse to give you that. So either you have to keep driving your dated car, that btw, still gets you perfectly fine from A to B, just not in the same flashy fashion or with the same fuel economy/performance as what's out there, or... you'll have to take the brave step and change brands alltogether. Or... just as you're about to do that... the brand releases their very latest model... though... it's more or less the same car you bought years ago, same engine, same enginering, just about the same everything. Only things to change is that now it has different rims, the horn has a different tone, it's 1 whole HP more powerfull and now there's LED blinkers. Well, I'm not sure that will get you excited. But that's kinda what Canon has been about the last few years (I'm talking mostly xxxD-series). And especially when most of the gain is brought by air intakes and chip tuning (Magic Lantern). They need to come up with something that's competitive and fresh, both in style and performance. They need to change where the bar is at.

Nikon does a fairly good job, I think, atleast in terms of quality. There's a lot of room for improvement, especially when it comes down to handling. Panasonic is doing an awesome job. Always pushing the boundaries of what is possible coming up with new implementations of technology. Blackmagic has proven themselves to be quite awesome and promising for the future. And the guys over at Sony have outdone themselves with the A7S it seems.

Canon has to respond! The ball is in their court. They can't expect people to keep buying 700D, 70D or 7D's with all that competition around. The 5DmkIII is still very capable, but don't forget that's much thanks to Magic Lantern. But if you want that fullframe... well, there's the ambitious A7S which is very hard to ignore.

You don't have to be a fanboy or a hater. You just have to be realistic and see that Canon needs to step it up... people do not wish to change a concept they fell for to begin with. But as time passes you will evolve and so does the need for your gear to keep up with your standards. And if the brand doesn't feel like coming out with gear like that, well, I think people have every right to be 'moaning'.

Canon has to respond! 

Nah, not really. Not yet, anyway. As long as the mainstream side of things is concerned. They might, but they don't have to.

They're still dominating the mainstream market, and people are still buying the same old stuff, so they can still carry on milking the audience with minimal effort and new products, and they don't really have to bother with the moans of a handful of video enthusiasts. 

It also works the other way around, meaning that as long as they're dominating the masses, the big corporate giants may be too intimidated to change anything. Until it's almost too late, and the slow adopting masses will start following the early adopters to new stuff.

On the pro side of things where Canon is more like one of the players and not the sovereign leader, they already have responded. Well, sort of. Hence the recent price reductions for their C series and even for their quirky "cinema DSLR" model, the implication of the PDAF sensor for the C series, etc. They may also be up to something new between Photokina and NAB. It was also beneficial for them to licence the EF mount for Blackmagic. Had BM chosen the E mount instead, that would have been not too cool for Canon.

And if the brand doesn't feel like coming out with gear like that, well, I think people have every right to be 'moaning'.

But as long as they're just moaning, nothing will happen. To quote Danny DeVito, "money talks and bullshit walks." (name that movie:)

As soon as people will start voting with their wallets and bringing their money elsewhere, the big leading corporate giants will wake up and start doing something. Sometimes just in time, sometimes too late. That's how the cookie crumbles in business.