Will Canon EVER respond to competitors?

sandro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

Yes C100 is video only (and S35 sensor). I think general opinion is that the 1DC will soon be looking a bit silly at its price point.

1st quarter of 2014

Camera sales, however, fell by 22 percent year-on-year in the quarter, as the world's biggest camera maker struggled with the prevalence of high-quality smartphone cameras and a saturation in the high-end, single-lens-reflex camera market.

Chief Financial Officer Toshizo Tanaka told an earnings briefing that sales of pricier compact cameras had actually increased after Canon adjusted its camera production and line-up in the first quarter to meet customers' demand for more sophisticated products

and god knows what is happening in reality... 

People like those high-end compacts because they don't have to think about lenses.

I recently recommended the RX100 to 3 people who wanted to try some photography. It's just a good balance. And hip show offs like the retro-styled cameras, whether single unit or ILS!

We are kind of reaching a "good enough" point now. I'd happily take stills on a 5D ii forever, in print terms. At least until affordable digital medium format comes along. The MKiii just added video features, so for stills the MKii will do fine! Those Nikon D800 stills are absurdly big.

What happened to this? http://www.eoshd.com/content/12242/canon-say-need-respond-calls-dslr-video-quality-increase

BTW if Canon really wanted to fix things they could easily take the same old sensor but put a 2014 image processor on it with good down-sampling and there you go a clean and real 1080p video with a S35 sensor that shoots great pics as well.

Honestly checking the specs of the C300 and what it can (can't) record I honestly don't see anything good coming. How can they release a possible 7D mark2 with sharp 1080p60 (which is the bare minimum by the way considering what the GH4 does!) if the C300 can't even do it? it could destroy that product line. 

The same approach would apply to Sony with the A7S that could also destroy their high end video camera, though that product is a reality (unless 1080p footage actually sucks)

Canon has been hobbling their cameras since the 5d came out for 6 years until the 5d mk3 arrived and magic lantern unleashed the potential. Will they ever stop releasing the Rebel line products with the same video quality?

We are kind of reaching a "good enough" point now. I'd happily take stills on a 5D ii forever, in print terms. At least until affordable digital medium format comes along. The MKiii just added video features, so for stills the MKii will do fine! Those Nikon D800 stills are absurdly big.

I think that is one of the big issues a lot of people are losing sight of.  I have a T3i which is 18 megapixels.  I remeber when I had a 3 megapixel "prosumer" all in one camera and dreamed of getting something like the 16 megapixel Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II.  That camera was the gold standard of 35mm cameras.  They used to compare that camera to the medium format cameras of the day.  Nobody in their right mind ever said the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II wasn't enough for professional gigs.  So now here we are almost a decade later and 18 megapixels can be had for a pittance in a consumer camera.  No consumer in their right mind needs anything more than 18 megapixels.  Yes of course sometimes I take a bad shot and need to crop so I am limited in how big of a print I can make but for the most part 18 megapixels gets the job done.

At the end of August canon will probably announce the  7d ii, with a new sensor, ...

is the GH4 is hurting the sales of the MARK iii? dont forget the mark3 is aimed at photographers too not only video

People who where about to buy the mark iii switched to the GH4 at the last minute, and the hype surrounding the GH4 at this time is the same as the one when the Mark 2 came out. 

i hope someone from canon reads this. i really dont wont to switch from canon...but i do hope all you gh4 lovers drive canons prices down

can we have a cheaper version of the 1dc? i would be the first to buy

No the GH4 is not hurting 5D mk III sales.  Mirrorless sales in general are a small fraction of DSLR sales.  And as you stated most people getting a 5D mk III are photographers.  The natural progression in photography is towards bigger sensors.  The overwhelming majority of photographers feel upgrading to full frame is the next logical step.  They seem going to m4/3 as a step backwards.

I posted some links on hear long time ago that linked to photography forums that were full of photographers complaining about Canon putting video features into their cameras.  The fact of the matter is I'm pretty sure the majority of 5D mk III owners probably don't even use the video function.

The natural progression in photography is towards bigger sensors.  The overwhelming majority of photographers feel upgrading to full frame is the next logical step.  They seem going to m4/3 as a step backwards.

I posted some links on hear long time ago that linked to photography forums that were full of photographers complaining about Canon putting video features into their cameras.  The fact of the matter is I'm pretty sure the majority of 5D mk III owners probably don't even use the video function.

i agree about sensor size, and m4/3 for is considered by many "junk format" and a step back(me included, how can you go from FF to m43?). But i dont believe the sales are not hurt by the GH4  i know at least 3 people that where gearing up to buy the mark iii and switched to GH4 last minute. And when i say "people" i mean video people.

The 6D by the way, that received quite a bashing in reviews for video is an excellent FF photo camera at an affordable price, and the video is better than the mark 2, which was ok to begin with.

canon has put up some excellent products..at a cost. For me the 1DC is the camera to have, at some point i will bite the bullet and get it, amazing at low light compact, internal 4k...im just waiting for that price drop... :ph34r:

and canon is hurting, a shame but at this point is being kept alive by printer sales...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

and canon is hurting, a shame but at this point is being kept alive by printer sales...

That is NOT true  :D  Canon are probably selling more cameras than every other manufacturer in the industry...
_________

PS Christina:  I wouldn't use the 1Dc for any kind of wedding videography that you seem to be doing. I would only use it for narrative/cinema type work that doesn't require long takes, simply due to data rate. It's too damn high on that camera for this type of work. How high?

A 579 US dollars, 128GB Lexar 1000x UMDA7(required for 4K), will hold about 34 minutes of 4K Mjpeg 1Dc footage. A 200$ 64GB one will hold about 15 minutes. 

For wedding/event videography I can't (personally) have less than at least 4-5 hours worth of media, thus requiring a little over 
5000$ worth of cards. So keep that in mind. To record the same amount of time on a C100, that will be somewhere around 200-300$ compared to 5000$. That's why I'd recommend using a C100 for that type of work. It's cheap, uses cheap class 10 SD cards, records for hours reliably, and the 1080p image out of it very similar to the downscaled 4K from the 1DC, perhaps better, plus you get a video camera with all the ergonomic benefits that comes with that. (peaking, lovely form factor, crazy sensitivity, zebras, XLR inputs, lasting battery life, etc)

Use a 5K C100 for video and a cheap 1800$ fullframe 6D for stills, it gives stills that are indistinguishable from the 1DC,
(1D just does it faster for sports requirements)

i dont know Ebrahim, i checked their 1 quarter sales look what their CFO said

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/24/canon-results-idUSL3N0NG29H20140424

of course i wouldnt film a whole wedding at 4k, but you can make some bits of it in 4k and that is an advantage 

1DC is versatile can be used for everything, photography, cinema, weddings, docs. For me its the all around tool and obviously worth its money.If you spend 5000+1500 euros in a c100 and a 6d why not sell half a kindey and get the 1dc? :)

i get your point though!

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

I hope that the A7S is the all-rounder you describe the 1DC to be. The thing that doesn't get discussed enough on this forum I think though is colour science. That is where Canon will always hold the cards imo ...

The A7S is pretty expensive, but is a proper hybrid still/video camera by the looks of it, or at least as close as you can get in such a form factor 

I wish they'd just go full hybrid and actually put in some XLRs

Without a tiny 4K recorder it'll be a hassle to get 4K out of it why not just allow internal recording? I doubt it'd affect any other Sony camera sales.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I wish they'd just go full hybrid and actually put in some XLRs

-Sony are going to make an XLR module that sits right on top of the camera, through the hotshoe. No cables/hussle like their existing modules. It's pretty much going to be an extension to the camera, like the C100 XLR inputs. They were saying it will be available with the shipment of the A7s. 

post-33816-0-08066400-1402403002_thumb.j

-About the price part, I don't agree it's expensive. Not at all. It's in fact pretty cheap. One of the cheapest fullframe cameras on the market. The lowest-end fullframes (6D&D600) are around 2000$, and the higher-end ones are 3000-3500$ (5D&D800). I see the A7s comparing the higher-end fullframes and even surpassing them in most ways in terms of technology, whilst being 1000$ less. If it were 3500$ it would still be fairly priced for the competition. 

-It really seems to be the dream camera. Tiny and light, perfect 1080p, lowlight, Slog-2, battery life, cheap media, XLRs, gorgeous evf with peaking, fullframe aesthetic and a s35 crop mode, 120p slowmotion, AND 4K.

-I can see this one finally surpassing the C line as the ultimate IQ/usability solution.. I can already imagine the shots I can get at night in the poor suburbs in no-light with the stars in the background... Imagine the portraits at night and how light rays dance on peoples' faces at night, I bet it will be pretty easy to make great looking footage out of this little thing!