Will Canon EVER respond to competitors?

sandro

• Administrators

and yes ML is a huge asset, although the post processing is time consuming..

Doesn't have to be! Resolve 10 really flies with CUDA and rendering raw to ProRes. 40fps+, almost twice as fast as realtime playback to convert the masters to something widely editable.

The main problem for me is the temptation to keep the raw files... it's a very strong temptation and you feel compelled to give in... Resulting in a lot of hard drives.

What is needed is a way to offload the raw data to an external device while the camera rolls and have the external device transcode to very high quality ProRes on the fly.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 7D2 (or whatever their next camera is) won't be competing with their high end cameras, it will be competing with their competitors cameras. So, whatever features Canon's high end equipment have, they are irrelevant to the next iteration of the prosumer products.

The real question is, who does Canon see as their competition? If it is Nikon then expect new prosumer cameras to have relatively primitive video capabilities. If they see Panasonic and Sony as their competition, then they pretty much HAVE to have advanced video, or they will fail.

The 7D2 (or whatever their next camera is) won't be competing with their high end cameras, it will be competing with their competitors cameras. So, whatever features Canon's high end equipment have, they are irrelevant to the next iteration of the prosumer products.

But the competitors cameras have features (4K, high bitrates, no moire, slow motion, 60p...)  like Canon's high end equipment, or features that Canon's high end equipment doesn't even have... so it is relevant.

Higher end point and shoots have capabilities not too far of from prosumer DSLRs as well, but no one considers them as competition, or that they siphon off sales. The same thing applies when comparing professional products to prosumer ones.

The competition standard used to set specifications are the products your competitor sells, not the ones you sell. What good is a product if you make it so that it doesn't overlap your high margin low volume products, but falls flat on its face compared to the competition it actually faces in the marketplace? If you do that you will end up conceding that part of the market to your competitor.

That is already happening, especially when it comes to Sony products. Canon have to compete on even terms going forward if they want to remain in those market segments, and if there is specification overlap with their professional products, that is how it will be.

Higher end point and shoots have capabilities not too far of from prosumer DSLRs as well, but no one considers them as competition, or that they siphon off sales. The same thing applies when comparing professional products to prosumer ones.

Disagree. No point and shoot has same capabilities image quality wise as (prosumer) dslrs. Simply physics: sensor size.

The main problem for me is the temptation to keep the raw files... it's a very strong temptation and you feel compelled to give in... Resulting in a lot of hard drives.

just bought some more terra for my files, which i keep for ever and in some cases backed up. Who wants to shoot and then delete his work? lacie,WD, etc will have sales soar from all of us buying new drives every week. How do you back up 4k raw files, the costs are enormous, for something that needs to be downscaled in order to work to 90% of screens at the moment. On the otherhand 4k is futureproof. i am a huge canon fangirl, but this has to do with the complete product sensor+lens.

At the end of August canon will probably announce the  7d ii, with a new sensor, ...

is the GH4 is hurting the sales of the MARK iii? dont forget the mark3 is aimed at photographers too not only video

People who where about to buy the mark iii switched to the GH4 at the last minute, and the hype surrounding the GH4 at this time is the same as the one when the Mark 2 came out. 

i hope someone from canon reads this. i really dont wont to switch from canon...but i do hope all you gh4 lovers drive canons prices down

can we have a cheaper version of the 1dc? i would be the first to buy

:ph34r:

The GH4 is a great camera but does not replace the 5D3. For stills the 5D3 is still King. IQ for RAW video 5D3 is still best in class (A7S might be a contender with 50Mbps compressed). GH4 has 4K, slomo, decent stills, all in a tiny package, especially if using m43 lenses (while excellent and sharp, not as good looking as FF L class lenses).

A 4K 5D Mark 4 with AF video and XAVC-class codec would put Canon back on top. Will be unlikely with the 1DC still on the market.

The GH4 is a great camera but does not replace the 5D3. For stills the 5D3 is still King. IQ for RAW video 5D3 is still best in class (A7S might be a contender with 50Mbps compressed). GH4 has 4K, slomo, decent stills, all in a tiny package, especially if using m43 lenses (while excellent and sharp, not as good looking as FF L class lenses).

A 4K 5D Mark 4 with AF video and XAVC-class codec would put Canon back on top. Will be unlikely with the 1DC still on the market.

The 5D3 might be king of stills if you compare it to the gh4, but for the price difference you can buy fullframe cameras that give better quality than the 5Dmkiii.

Yeah for me it's about acquiring used Nikon mount Glass to be used with the metabones Nikon F to MFT speedbooster.

I may end up buying the D800s for stills and GH4 for video work. So far I will stick to GH2. If the D800s has 4K video which I highly doubt it would be even sweeter. 

Knowing Nikon as a company is like people who still watch regular tv and dont know anything else to do. 

The d800s probably will have good 1080p video, but who knows because it will use something close to the a7r sensor and it has a limited readout speed. If you don't need high iso performance and fast AF you could consider the pentax 645d to complement the gh4.

Atleast let 'em come up with a different friggin' sensor than the 18MP that we've seen for (4 or something) years now. What has practically changed since the 550D? Some image processing, sure, you want a tilty flippy screen? Here you go. Touchy? Touch all you want. Autofocus? We can manage that. Newer sensor? Hey now, don't push it! By the way, we already gave you the 70D remember? It has a new sensor and *ugh* really is high-end and so advanced. Gamechanger written all over it.

Well, that is if you maybe don't compare it to competition. In meanwhile Nikon has brought pretty awesome sensors. They just totally lack the motivation to do something with it when it comes down to video. God knows why, 'cause they should! And of course, why would someone not just jump on the m43 bandwagon? The GH3, GH4, Black Magic... the tiniest of sensors (not really though), but it's all about that video! Now sure, with a Black Magic you won't shoot stills, but the hacked GH2 was just as much of a game changer as the 5DmkII or 550D/7D. Now, if it wasn't for Magic Lantern, you'd still wouldn't improve leaps if you'd get a Canon nowadays. But if you see the GH3 and then the GH4 and compare... it seems like everybody else just throws the towel in the ring, or what? Where's the improvements?

If only Nikon and Canon would just work on their videomodes. Dedicated mode with full manual control. Peaking and all the whistles. Mic in and headphone jack standard on any model. You don't even have to go 4K (what I'm concerned) if you're too worried you'll kill the camera, or your high-end line-up sales for that matter. Just give it GoPro Hero3-like specs. 4K @ 15 fps (although, you could just leave it alltogether), the 2.7K at 30 and 24p and 1440p mode at 48 fps (great for warp stabilizing and converting back to 1080p). Then bitrate, bitrate, bitrate! And compression!

I think there's enough stuff they could do to make as much of a difference as they used to make. Are they really so clingy on making things focussed on stills? I bet a lot of folks just want a nice affordable camera, such as the 700D or D5300 but with more awesome video possibilities. And what should do those folks do now? They could just pick up a GH3, or spend a bit more quid on a GH4 or BMPCC...

The d800s probably will have good 1080p video, but who knows because it will use something close to the a7r sensor and it has a limited readout speed. If you don't need high iso performance and fast AF you could consider the pentax 645d to complement the gh4.

The D4S didn't get much better video. D800s most likely has the same sensor (tweaked a bit) as the D800 and the same problems.

If Canon's recent commintment to product development is any indication the 7D mark II will have

-20Mpix sensor same as the 70D

-1 stop better noise control

-mic socket

-similiar 720p upscaled to 1080p as before but now with 60 frames as well. ( dont think about shooting video of water or brick walls) those will be fixed in 7d Mark III in the year 2019

-and the super duper feature will be WIFI AND GPS

-multiple face detection and direct facebook upload. :o SOOO COOOL

Canon will allso realease a new slogan that says. Canon you can .. if you wait long enough.

Canon should and probably will respond. If they don't, at some point, they are stupid. I don't think canon is stupid, though. Keep in mind canon  neither has to respond now nor has to crush anyone when they finally respond. It's a big company.

Canon are waiting.....they will wipe the floor with everyone, with potential customers drooling. Then the price tag is announced, and Canon receives several death threats for selling the best thing ever for $15,000. 

The rest of us will wipe our mouths of the drool, pick up our GH4, A7S or the dusty 550d and get on with it. ;)

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

just bought some more terra for my files, which i keep for ever and in some cases backed up. Who wants to shoot and then delete his work? lacie,WD, etc will have sales soar from all of us buying new drives every week. How do you back up 4k raw files, the costs are enormous, for something that needs to be downscaled in order to work to 90% of screens at the moment. On the otherhand 4k is futureproof. i am a huge canon fangirl, but this has to do with the complete product sensor+lens.

At the end of August canon will probably announce the  7d ii, with a new sensor, ...

is the GH4 is hurting the sales of the MARK iii? dont forget the mark3 is aimed at photographers too not only video

People who where about to buy the mark iii switched to the GH4 at the last minute, and the hype surrounding the GH4 at this time is the same as the one when the Mark 2 came out. 

i hope someone from canon reads this. i really dont wont to switch from canon...but i do hope all you gh4 lovers drive canons prices down

can we have a cheaper version of the 1dc? i would be the first to buy

:ph34r:

Chris, obviously this is only my opinion but I feel quite strongly you should stick with Canon! Or at least not go with the GH4 ... The stuff you get out of the 5D h264 is really very nice and I think you've developed a particular look that works well for you. Knowing the stuff you shoot I think you also need a camera that's great in low light. 

If you're interested in the GH4 because you want a camera that's more video-orientated and sharper, I think a C100 would be a great upgrade (will hopefully drop in price again soon?). Or the A7s would be the other obvious option (FF sensor too).

I really love this wedding film you made - for me it just wouldn't be the same without that full-frame, noise free, lovely Canon-colour aesthetic ...

@dafreaking for half the money it goes out today, new, i know im asking too much?

@matt james smith thanks  :rolleyes: for the kind words, the mark iii has its limitations, but i find it perfecr for weddings..

Hypothetically speaking. If it was available for approximately $5500, which is also the price for the C100, which of the two would you buy then? Seeing as one of your main projects is wedding films.