Need a little help with timelapse on GH4

jnorman34

the manual seems a bit confusing on this topic.  I want to shoot a couple of timelapse clips with the GH4.  the manual says to put the shutter mode dial on the timelapse setting, and then press MENU/SET, which then should bring up the timelapse settings box. then it says to press the MENU button again.   but when I press MENU, it just displays the normal menu.  and if I press MENU again, it just turns off the menu.

the manual also says something like, "if you touch the (whatever) button, the timelapse settings dialog box will be displayed.  I cannot seem to find any (whatever) button.

can someone please walk me through the process to do a timelapse sequence?  I want to shoot one frame per second for 300 seconds.  thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I guess it's probably easier to not bother with the manual at all to do this. I found it very straight forward.

Turn the top left dial into the interval position (twist the dial all the way to the right). Turn the mode dial into M or A mode (or whatever you want for your pictures).

Open the menu (press menu/set) - Time Lapse / Animation is already highlighted now. Press menu/set again.

Mode should be on Time Lapse Shot (it probably is). Go down to Shooting interval, choose your settings. Press Set on the touch screen.

Choose Start Time in the menu. Set start time of choice or press 'now'...

/Edit: I guess you still had your camera in the movie mode, in that case you won't find the timelapse function in the menu.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used the GH3 and GH4 for time lapses, and love the built in intervalometer...one less external gizmo to carry around! However, using the save-to-movie feature after shooting RAW stills with the GH4 causes it to freeze. Every time. None of the controls are functional, including the on/off switch, and I have to pull the battery to reboot the camera. My GH2 and GH3 cameras never froze up on me, so this concerns me. I haven't lost any stills due to the freeze ups...yet.

Has this happened to anyone else?

• 2 years later...