Panasonic GH4 footage shot with the EOSHD Shooter's Guide Cinema Settings

Andrew Reid

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

Hang on. Is it possible to create a vari-ND that can be dialled to zero stops (i.e. lets 100% light through)? If not, my idea is stupid.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Seeing as we're currently in Speculation City, here's my chips:

Built in variable ND filter!

Fotodiox are doing it with their non-focal-reducer adapters. ND's work better closer to the sensor too.

I agree that it's now a given that it's an active EF speed booster, and personally I would guess with a very fast/wide spec (0.2x?). This would pretty much make the GH4 a complete package to rival the C100. 

Built in IS would be insanely amazing but I think that's definitely a pipe dream. Why would Andrew use IS glass for the test if the adapter had it built in? He wouldn't, he'd use primes.

If there is a fancy new feature my money is on a built-in ND filter. Metabones would do it properly with quality glass. It would sell in bucketloads. Panasonic would probably even pay Metabones to do it! In fact now I think about it Metabones would be insane not to do it. 

The only thing that makes me unsure is Andrew's review talks about him using the Heliopan ND. That could be a red herring I suppose, but maybe I'm putting a bit too much thought into this ...

Metabones have said that .7# x is best for image quality and they didn't want to go to .5 though that could always change.

EDIT the BMPCC speed booster does change that though. But I doubt they would go below .5x.

Fotodiox said they were making a .5x Light Canon as well as a normal one to replace the failed light canon (now called a soft focus adapter).

By looking at the shots and the lens used, it is pretty clear some shots look like 24mm lens on a FF sensor.

I think it is an active EF to M43 Speed booster which makes  0.5 X  wider.  So the Full frame rendering on the GH4 m43 sensor.

Would love to see passive 0.5x  Speed boosters for other mounts, hopefully for cheaper price since there are no electronics involved.

By looking at the shots and the lens used, it is pretty clear some shots look like 24mm lens on a FF sensor.

I think it is an active EF to M43 Speed booster which makes  0.5 X  wider.  So the Full frame rendering on the GH4 m43 sensor.

Would love to see passive 0.5x  Speed boosters for other mounts, hopefully for cheaper price since there are no electronics involved.

Which shots? I tried figuring out the focal lengths as well but thought there wasn't anything wide like 24mm in it. Could be wrong though...

Which shots? I tried figuring out the focal lengths as well but thought there wasn't anything wide like 24mm in it. Could be wrong though...

I don't know the character of the Sigma and Tamron he used, but I can't see any swirlyness/distortion in the far corners of the bokeh that would suggest all of the glass is being used. My guess is it will be something just short of full frame. Who knows ...

I wouldn't go so far. My guess is a active adapter with super35 image rendering. And allready this would be more than great.

No Andrew has clearly hinted at something more surprising than that, and at it relating to large sensor size. S35 speed booster for MFT is old news now.

Metabones GH4 Speed Booster Release date:

“ When the Brown Bear of the North spies the Golden Fox chasing the Pink Rabbit down the Burrow of Discovery and the Earth is at 31.446% of it’s Sun orbit, then the Pin of Withholding will be pulled by the Black Badger deep within the Pink Rabbit’s domain.  The Blue Balloon of Revelation will ascend into the misty morning skies before us all.  We will look up in wonder and apprehension as the Blue Balloon rotates slowly to reveal at last; .. the Release date of the long-awaited GH4 SpeedBooster.

Alas, ..  If only permanent ink had been used!

Baz

• Administrators

Metabones GH4 Speed Booster Release date:

“ When the Brown Bear of the North spies the Golden Fox chasing the Pink Rabbit down the Burrow of Discovery and the Earth is at 31.446% of it’s Sun orbit, then the Pin of Withholding will be pulled by the Black Badger deep within the Pink Rabbit’s domain.  The Blue Balloon of Revelation will ascend into the misty morning skies before us all.  We will look up in wonder and apprehension as the Blue Balloon rotates slowly to reveal at last; .. the Release date of the long-awaited GH4 SpeedBooster.

Alas, ..  If only permanent ink had been used!

Baz

I think you are confusing the ritual with Blackmagic ;)

I just dont like the look of GH4. It looks too videoish... but the video posted by comurit looks really cinematic. It seems you can achieve the cinematic look even with this camera, but I like Sony A7s more.

Do you like the still shots? I think the footage looks like video because of all the aliasing but it's probably a result of the uploading. The still shots from the video look a lot smoother and film like.