4K Premiere sequence settings with GH4 footage when outputting to 1080p? Need workflow advice.

nathanleebush

The 1080p image quality gains from a 4K GH4 file are well documented, but I've got a basic workflow question to extract the maximum IQ from my 4K files destined for FullHD output:

I've got a basic two cam interview I shot with the GH4. I'm wondering how to maximize the extra information when outputting to 1080p. Will I have equal sharpness and color information gains if I edit on a 1080p timeline and output to 1080p as if I edit on a 4K timeline and output to 1080p? Is it the same effect in the end?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Two important things:

Tick render at maximum bit depth and maximum render quality boxes on render either way, or you won't get the benefit.

I'd work at 4K and just render at 1080 with above settings ticked, unles you really need to do a lot of reframing.

It'll be 50% scale too, not 25%, 1080 is half the size of UHD in both directions

• 4 weeks later...

I will ech

Two important things:

Tick render at maximum bit depth and maximum render quality boxes on render either way, or you won't get the benefit.

I'd work at 4K and just render at 1080 with above settings ticked, unles you really need to do a lot of reframing.

It'll be 50% scale too, not 25%, 1080 is half the size of UHD in both directions

For scaling footage, selecting the maximum render quality definitely helps, but takes longer to render. I typically disable both options for preliminary renders, and enable them for my final render.