lumix gm1 vs sony a6000... pros/cons ?

Mikeg

Hi everyone,

i'm new here but have been checking some post for a while now. for few months i've been checking different cameras to buy and so far i like the lumix gm1 and the sony a6000. Reasons: price range, size, and I've seen that both have good video quality besides the great photo quality for being a mirrorless. 

I am more towards the lumix gm1 but before i decide to really buy it i'd like to see some opinions on if is a better choice than the a6000. 

Also i'll be coming to US (from europe) in a few weeks so i'm looking for a store in NY that sells this camera since i haven't been able to find a retailer, does anyone know where i can check it out? 

thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A6000 is a much more complete package: flip screen, evf, good handling. If this will be your only camera, id definitely go for the Sony. Even if the GM1 might be a bit better regarding image quality.

If you are looking for the smallest extra, GM1 it is. I love this little camera, but compared to the A6000 its a pain to work with.

I agree with Julian, and whilst they are both nice cameras, it's worth keeping in mind that the GM1 is tiny!

I think it's absolutely essential that you go to a store and try the camera in your hands before you decide to buy one. It may even be a bit too small for average male hands, let alone large hands. Put any lens beyond 50mm into it, and it will become front-heavy and a bit awkward to hold and shoot with. It may also be a bit impractical as the only system camera. But in case you're already invested in the mFT system or need a pocketable system camera, well, why not. Provided that you get along with the ergonomics. Remember also that it's "only" 24/25p, @28bps AVCHD. Probably not a biggie, but worth keeping in mind. Other than that, it's a fascinating little gadget.

But if it's your only camera, the a6000 would be a more practical choice. But by all means go and try it out in the shop first, too.

As for the request of suggesting which of those two is a better choice for you, that is something you just have to figure out yourself. Your preferences, your money, your decision.

Put any lens beyond 50mm into it, and it will become front-heavy and a bit awkward to hold and shoot with.

I hear this a lot, but it hasn't been my experience.  Smaller lenses with longer focal lengths are readily available too.  A little research into small M43 compatible primes will reveal numerous options.  Various threads on this forum about it in fact.

And go to B&H while in NYC.  It's a bit crazy in there but worthwhile; better than the big box retailers in Tokyo!

GM1 is for pocketing and small size.

To get the same sensor but with a lot more added the GX7 would be better.

Too much has been left out for me to use the GM1 as a main camera (for stills and video).

The GX7 on the other hand has higher specifications than the A6000 for many things though more so for stills. 

I agree with Julian, and whilst they are both nice cameras, it's worth keeping in mind that the GM1 is tiny!

Is it ever. I held one for the first time this past weekend and I was stunned. I'm 6'7" so that may be part of it but I could cup it in the palm of my hand. Crazy small.

great feedback guys, i guess i will check B & H and Adorama (they currently have a good offer on the GM1 with some "gifts" included) and try to hold both cameras, at the end i will probably get what will feel better since both have similar price. For me still the pro on the GM1 seems to be what for most is the con: the small size. I am planning to travel next year with very few things and portability will be important but that's why i started this thread, to get some feedback and help me make an intelligent decision.

Since i'm interested in Video i am even considering the GM1 with the SLR magic 17mm lens...but that's another story which i will have to decide later.

thanks!

The GM1 is so tiny AND light, as other have pointed out, that you have to learn how to work with the small dials.  It's frustrating in the beginning.  Panasonic seems to have fit the latest/greatest video technology in the camera.  If your primary goal is to shoot video then this is the camera for you.  The silent shutter is also unique.  People just think I'm fiddling with the camera.  They don't realize I'm taking photos when silent mode is on.  Controlling the camera through a cell phone also works well.  I have an Android/Samsung S something.  

The BAD.  I'm getting the a6000 because photography is more important to me than video.  I also need viewfinder because I'm old.  That doesn't mean I won't use the GM1 for video and silent shutter stuff, or when light and small is most important.   However, once you put any lens on it other than the kit, or pancake, you might as well have something bigger like the GX7 or a6000.

Did anyone mention it's tiny? ;)  

I hear this a lot, but it hasn't been my experience.  Smaller lenses with longer focal lengths are readily available too.  A little research into small M43 compatible primes will reveal numerous options.  Various threads on this forum about it in fact.

Thank you for proving my point. This is all the more reason for not externalising one's camera purchasing decision to the online forums, and not conforming to the online acclamations. Like said, in the case of the GM1 of all cameras it really is essential.

My comment was also based on first hand experience. I don't do spec sheet reviews. I just didn't think it was necessary to point out the obvious, like the smaller lenses. If your experience has been totally different, well, consider yourself lucky and, thanks again for making my point. 

at the end i will probably get what will feel better

Exactly, that's the way to go, especially in the case of the GM1. Just pick one that feels right in your hand.   ;)

For me still the pro on the GM1 seems to be what for most is the con: the small size. I am planning to travel next year with very few things and portability will be important but that's why i started this thread, to get some feedback and help me make an intelligent decision.

It's not just the size, but a combination of factors related to it. At some point the small size and the feature set dictated by it may become a nuisance, rather than an asset. But it's all highly subjective, it may not concern you, and our comfort levels, our personal preferences, our eyesight, the size of our hands, our motor skills etc, are all different.

That's why a trip to a shop to see the camera in person is much more important than any of our comments here in the online forums. 

What we say here doesn't really matter, so pay no attention to us.  :P

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

Don't underestimate the significance of not having a viewfinder. It's not only essential for shooting in bright sunlight, for video it's really important for stabilising the camera as well. And the smaller/lighter the camera, the more affected by hand shake it will be.

I'll echo what has been said above - the GM1 is great, but I'd only buy it as a 2nd camera to use for certain stuff. I'd go for the a6000, GX7 or perhaps consider the RX100 Mark 2? 

At first you may be wowed by the tiny size of the GM1 (like I was with the RX100) but over time you will probably grow tired of the smallness and long for a bigger camera (it was great coming back to the NEX-6 afterward).

Having a really small camera may psychologically restricts your freedom in choosing lens because it just doesn't feel right putting big or even medium-sized lens in front of it.

I'll chime in by reprinting what I recently wrote in another thread:

I love my GM1, but it has far too many drawbacks as a primary video camera, two of them being the lack of a viewfinder and swiveling monitor. That means shooting in bright light is a pain. [Because of their small size], ND filters are more difficult to come by (impossible to find in Thailand or Vietnam, anyway). It is very unstable with longer lenses. It can't be mounted directly to a tripod or shoulder rig without some sort of spacer. It can only shoot a half hour or so of video on a single battery. You can't manually focus the kit lens (well, unless you call the slider in the LCD a focusing aid). It doesn't have slow motion or 60fps. No hotshoe and microphone jack. No weathersealing. If you primarily shoot video (like I do), the silent shutter is a moot point. And on and on... Like I said, I wouldn't part with it for the world, but I wouldn't have it as my one and only camera. 

On the other hand, there have been some incredible videos posted online proving that this tiny camera is a monster in the right hands. 

lots of stuff to think about after reading all these comments. seems that as a primary camera is not the best, i checked some p&s which for me could be enough as the sony rx100 and similar but wanted to buy something newer and with better quality for video. Since I saw the a6000 i really liked it and i'm sure is better on size and photo quality but the videos on lumix gm1 are better imo. 

confuses me to see how much most are in pro of the a6000 (or similar) and  against the GM1  but at the same itme in similar threads there are few people who really like/love it (even though they do mention is tiny :D ) ...

gotta try both definitely