Panasonic GH4 user films, tests, reviews and opinions

Andrew Reid

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

After reading this whole thread and a good few reviews on this camera, I ordered one this weekend as a replacement for my 7D. Even more of a bargain with Panasonic's £200 cashback, I've paid £900 for the camera! Can't wait to start using it and seeing what it can do. 

Yeah I got in on the black friday £200 off deal too ... too hard to resist. Where did you get yours from? I paid a little more for mine ...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah I got in on the black friday £200 off deal too ... too hard to resist. Where did you get yours from? I paid a little more for mine ...

Wex Photography, £1178, £200 cash back and I also use Quidco so another £38 cashback via that! So total, £940 paid. It was meant to come today but seems to have been delayed in Parcelforce's system somewhere, so another day to wait :( My Metabones and Kingston SD cards came today though, so hoping to get out at weekend and shoot some stuff.

Wex Photography, £1178, £200 cash back and I also use Quidco so another £38 cashback via that! So total, £940 paid. It was meant to come today but seems to have been delayed in Parcelforce's system somewhere, so another day to wait :( My Metabones and Kingston SD cards came today though, so hoping to get out at weekend and shoot some stuff.

Ah. Nice.

The shop I got mine from actually made a mistake with the cashback so mine is currently costing me £899! Though I may end up paying them back. The manager of the shop I got it from had such a bad attitude I quite like the idea of not doing so. But if it's going to come out of the wages of the helpful young chap who made served me I guess I will ...

From my early testing last week, the GH4 is lightyears ahead of the 7D for video. Even the 60P 2K on the GH4 yields better detailled frames than 25P on the 7D, for similar bitrates (50mbps).

For photography is another story. Above iso 400, RAW noise is far behind 7D, and the EVF, as good as it is on the GH4, is nothing comparable to an OVF.

NOTE: Download the original file for most accurate comparison. 

This is a rushed test to see if I can live without my D5300 (a supposedly decent low-light performer) now I've bought a GH4 (which I'll be using alongside my BMPCC).

Conclusion: I'm happy to sell the D5300. I can't see any noise advantage to the D5300 at 1600 ISO. Colours are more saturated but I don't prefer them to the GH4 colours here. As with daylight footage, softness and macro blocking is an issue with the D5300 but much less so with the GH4.

BMPCC has finer noise than GH4 but colours are difficult to pull up, and there seems to be more false colour than the GH4 I think.

I shooted a test chart  with 4k, JPG and RAW. The 100% sensor center area is the same in all these images - 4k 100Mbs, JPG best quality and RAW ACR conversion.

4k and JPG are very close to each other, RAW is much cleaner. I found also that GH4 RAW has less resolution in colorful parts than in gray parts due to sensor de-bayering.

GH4 4k video is very good and very close to cropped 8 Mpixel JPG photo. I thought 4:2:0 video codec would ruin colors compared to JPG but no. I think GH4 JPG is 4:2:2. RAW is 4:4:4

I doubt if there is any color benefits of using external 4:2:2 recording because JPG photo is not better than 4k.

I shooted a test chart  with 4k, JPG and RAW. The 100% sensor center area is the same in all these images - 4k 100Mbs, JPG best quality and RAW ACR conversion.

4k and JPG are very close to each other, RAW is much cleaner. I found also that GH4 RAW has less resolution in colorful parts than in gray parts due to sensor de-bayering.

GH4 4k video is very good and very close to cropped 8 Mpixel JPG photo. I thought 4:2:0 video codec would ruin colors compared to JPG but no. I think GH4 JPG is 4:2:2. RAW is 4:4:4

I doubt if there is any color benefits of using external 4:2:2 recording because JPG photo is not better than 4k.

I don't know how 'bits' relate to stills, but it's the 10-bit aspect of getting a Ninja that I care about. So many more colours (this feels like the Samsung 4K vs RAW quiz all over again :P ). Anyway, I've seen comparison videos in which the Ninja footage looks significantly more colourful (will try to find them). I guess I'll find out for myself ...

Looks better then i would think it would. what iso was that shoot at.

I wanted to share a test video I shot with my new GH4 out at night on the streets of NYC. 

It was shot on the 60fps VFR mode with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for Nikon + Metabones speed booster. 

I've heard lots of people saying this camera is awful for low-light shooting, but so far i'm pretty happy with it. 

>

Looks good i would love to see some with out the SLR Magic Anamorphot to see the differance,

Hey guys,

Wanted to share a new GH4 test I shot with the SLR Magic Anamorphot + Sigma 30mm. The grade was extremely minimal and the colors you see are mostly coming from my custom CineV settings.
Hope you guys like it.

thanks man! I believe It is 48 fps, might have been 60 but no I didn't slow it down any in post

​Awesome, it's very smooth!

So I was thinking... Has anyone compared the UHD mode vs Cinema 4k resolutions to see which delivers a better overall image? I've been switching back and forth since May but haven't done any direct comparisons. There's the obvious that C4k has more resolution but i'm wondering if there are any other benefits to it. I use UHD now because it's easy to scale down my footage to 1080 without having to crop or use black bars. But I'd switch back to C4k if it offers better something or other. I'm probably beating a dead horse by now but I'm always trying to squeeze something more out of the gh4...

So I was thinking... Has anyone compared the UHD mode vs Cinema 4k resolutions to see which delivers a better overall image? I've been switching back and forth since May but haven't done any direct comparisons. There's the obvious that C4k has more resolution but i'm wondering if there are any other benefits to it. I use UHD now because it's easy to scale down my footage to 1080 without having to crop or use black bars. But I'd switch back to C4k if it offers better something or other. I'm probably beating a dead horse by now but I'm always trying to squeeze something more out of the gh4...

​Both have the same 100% sensor image. C4k has more pixels horizontally so you can pan in post more. If you dont use or want the wider image the UHD has little compression benefit. UHD has also framerate benefit of 30P.

​This is why you want to get Andrew's GH4 guide ;)  The simple answer is, if you're going to end up in showing in a 16:9 aspect ratio stick to UHD.  

And @Matt, look in your wallet, if it's empty you're running out of space on your SD card :)