Panasonic GH4 user films, tests, reviews and opinions

Andrew Reid

I can't say for sure but I do think the noise you are experiencing in those indoor shots is mainly because the image is underexposed and partly because you've lifted shadows too much. Essentially you are trying to lift detail out of areas where there is just not enough exposure.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can't say for sure but I do think the noise you are experiencing in those indoor shots is mainly because the image is underexposed and partly because you've lifted shadows too much. Essentially you are trying to lift detail out of areas where there is just not enough exposure.

I'm hoping moving the highlights back to standard would help

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me want is going on in the GH4 test I did with the 35-100 f2.8 lens its been happening quite a lot lately and I don't know what it is or why its happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance the clip can be view here:

http://youtu.be/O4pTX6Twf1c

Thank you all

Ryan

Hello all, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me want is going on in the GH4 test I did with the 35-100 f2.8 lens its been happening quite a lot lately and I don't know what it is or why its happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance the clip can be view here:

http://youtu.be/O4pTX6Twf1c

Thank you all

Ryan

Which problem? You mean the banding lights? You need to use a 180 degree shutter

Yes the banding lights. I'm guessing here, but does that mean it's due to me not having the shutter speed double the FPS? Thank you for your quick response.

That's partially correct. But its more to do with the electrical current in the area. PAL territories run at 50hz while NTSC runs at 60hz. Your shutter speed should be a multiple of these numbers and your fps should be a half of that.

Eg if you're in Europe, shoot at 1/50th shutter and 25fps. Or 1/100th shutter and 50fps.

That's partially correct. But its more to do with the electrical current in the area. PAL territories run at 50hz while NTSC runs at 60hz. Your shutter speed should be a multiple of these numbers and your fps should be a half of that.

Eg if you're in Europe, shoot at 1/50th shutter and 25fps. Or 1/100th shutter and 50fps.

Thank you so much for your help. That'll make a big difference to my videos. Is there a why to limit the shutter speed so it won't go below a certain range etc

I think the gh4 has a function to get it to always shoot at 180 degrees (ie. Shutter speed double your frame rate). You could probably Google where to find it as I don't have a gh4 myself :D

You can also use synchro scan to dial in the exact shutter speed so that the lights stop flickering. I use it a lot and it works quite well. You can see the effect in real-time in the viewfinder or LCD monitor.

I want to use my GH4 on a 3 axis gimbal for shooting video and I'm awaiting the gimbal to arrive.  There will be much moving scenes.  What will be the best settings to use?  Do I go auto focus or manual?  Do I switch off image stabilization? How well will the chip handle this "movement" as well as panning? 

I have used the GH4 on a tripod and did some slow to moderate pans and the image was not that great while panning....

Regards

Wynand

The problem and I mean real Problem too me is you need to add Luts , Film Plugins and all kind of stuff to make Panasonic GH4 footage look good. Compared to something like Blackmagic where really right out of the box the footage looks very nice, the increased dynamic range is insane.

I owned and operated a GH3 for a long time, then a GH4. Then I have been using Blackmagic cameras, I just spent the whole weekend shooting on a GH4 with Voigtlander Lenses and I must say I am really not impressed at all. Now I need to add all kind of software plugins to make the footage look less like video.

GH4 image is too sharp and thin

Isn't the whole argument against Blackmagic that it takes a good colourist to make the footage look good?

I think it's horses for courses really. Blackmagic cameras aren't really suited for run and gun whereas the Panasonic are. They may not have as much dr as the Blackmagics but I've found they have enough to create really nice footage in most conditions. And in the end I think that content matters most, and so usability is key to me.

Isn't the whole argument against Blackmagic that it takes a good colourist to make the footage look good?

I think it's horses for courses really. Blackmagic cameras aren't really suited for run and gun whereas the Panasonic are. They may not have as much dr as the Blackmagics but I've found they have enough to create really nice footage in most conditions. And in the end I think that content matters most, and so usability is key to me.

I used Blackmagic camera (Pocket) for a run and gun video I shot, everything worked perfect. I had it n a shoulder rig with battery adapter and shot all day only having to change the sony battery (used to power camera) once.

Dslr/Hybrid cameras will always exist for the time-lapse and photo capabilities, but DSLR footage looks really thin now after shooting for the past couple of weeks on a Balckmagic. I also edit Red footage so it just seems a little weird too me.

Panasonic GH4 footage is beyond sharp, yellow skin tones and video look really drive me away. I've seen nice footage like you said due to "content" but then you have to add puts, film grain and all kind of things. Blackmagic footage does not require a colorist, simple curve adjustments in your NLE or Resolve and you're good to go.

On the flip side I've seen some RAW 5D Mark iii footage that looks great, but I know the workflow is another case........

As someone who worked/owned A GH1,GH2,GH3 and GH4 I can say I do not like the direction Panasonic has gone with the image. Less sharp, more dynamic range and focus on colors to help us out. On people the image just doesn't really look that good. I spent all day yesterday recording video and shooting photos and the footage I'm just not happy with.

I've seen great footage, but you must massage to death in Post, I'm looking for something great out of the camera.

Peace

I just shot this footage this weekend.  I only added a little saturation in post.  Granted it takes awhile to find the right picture profile, but isn't that true of any camera?  Don't REDs and Alexas need a whole lot of post work to make them sing?  I don't doubt that Blackmagic is good, I've seen a lot of nice work.  GH4 is also capable too.  But it's apples and oranges.  Use what works for you.  If you're not happy with the GH4, then the Blackmagic pocket is priced very well.