Anamorphic for Beginners

jeliza

I have a 18-55mm kit lens and a Canon T3 with which I shoot movies. I am interested in trying anamorphic DLSR filmmaking. I have already read the EOSHD guide and am looking to buy a lens but need to know:

What kind of gear do I need? I read stuff about prime lenses, clamps, APS versus full-frame, squeezing in post and just don't know where to begin...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

18-55 is a bit flimsy, so you will need a rig that will support both your dslr and your anamorphic. I use a velbon spt-1. I use a tripod collar that dosn't fit the lens perfectly, so I wrapped the lens in a sock to fill in the gap.

Cheapest solutions:

schneider cinelux

sankor 16c

singer 16d

16c will be easiest to use, but has the worst IQ of the three (I own all three).

55mm will likely vignette with most 2x lenses. Also, the front element rotates when you focus on the 18-55 so it is impossible to use a clamp.

Hi,
Don't use your 18-55 zoom. It's not really going to be any good for shooting with anamorphic scope lenses.
Personally I prefer full frame for anamorphic, but I would start by using the camera you have. (APS)
Buy a cheap lens like Helios 58mm in M42 mount (M42 to EF adapter) Or Jupiter 85mm.
Buy a Sankor 16c or a Kowa 8z (Sankor will be cheaper)
Buy a Redstan clamp to hold it all together. Don't buy a cheap one, its false economy.
Your good to go.
Refer to the shooting guild to see what lenses will vignette on what sensor.
You will end up spending all your time looking for bargains and you will spend money. If that worries you, run away now and don't look back.
If not good luck!

Or, if you like, you can get the one I am selling http://www.ebay.it/itm/171343697015?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 which is right for your camera (APS), I used to use it with my 60D.

it comes   with a redstan adapter and you will not go crazy with double focusing.

I have used it with great pleasure, with an helios M44 58mm f2 and also with a super takumar 50mm F1.4.

It 's a single focus anamorphic, you set your taking lens to infinity and focus only with the anamorphic.

No need to struggle with double focusing.

I am selling it cos I bought myself a full frame camera and I can't no longer use it.

Like Chris Elkerton says "you will end up spending all your time looking for bargains and you will spend money".

Good luck anyway,  I hope you will enjoy the anamorphic world  and join us soon

Hi,
Don't use your 18-55 zoom. It's not really going to be any good for shooting with anamorphic scope lenses.
Personally I prefer full frame for anamorphic, but I would start by using the camera you have. (APS)
Buy a cheap lens like Helios 58mm in M42 mount (M42 to EF adapter) Or Jupiter 85mm.
Buy a Sankor 16c or a Kowa 8z (Sankor will be cheaper)
Buy a Redstan clamp to hold it all together. Don't buy a cheap one, its false economy.
Your good to go.
Refer to the shooting guild to see what lenses will vignette on what sensor.
You will end up spending all your time looking for bargains and you will spend money. If that worries you, run away now and don't look back.
If not good luck!

Thanks! I just ordered a Singer 16d so my next step is getting either a Helios or the Jupiter and a clamp

What does M42 to EF adaptor mean? 

Also, I'm looking to do a mix of both close-up angles and landscapes. Which focal length would work better, 58mm or the 85mm?

Do I need a diopter? Are there rings that allow for single focusing?

M42 is a type of lens mount that screws on to the camera. EF is the name of Canon's mount type. I bought a cheap $1.5 M42 to EF adapter which doesn't allow me to screw the lens in all the way so I would suggest spending a little more on that than I did.

Yes Adr is right. A lot of these old lenses I mentioned come in m34 screw mount. Check before you buy though. The adapters to EF (Canon) are readily available on eBay and very cheap. Prob spend a bit more than $1.5, maybe push the boat out and spend $5. :)
You chose well with the Sankor! Great little lenses. Enjoy!

I would suggest buying the Anamorphic shooter's guide, it helps a lot for beginners.

As others said 55mm and up with apsc sensors with a 2x works best. I think 55mm vignettes slightly, you can find a 58mm and your good to go.

I think all the isco stars are 2x. But it's not exactly 2x, when focused closely it's more like 1,75 and the strech is always uneven.

Take something circular and try shooting it at different distances and positioned differently inside the frame.

Thanks! I just ordered a Singer 16d so my next step is getting either a Helios or the Jupiter and a clamp

What does M42 to EF adaptor mean? 

Also, I'm looking to do a mix of both close-up angles and landscapes. Which focal length would work better, 58mm or the 85mm?

Do I need a diopter? Are there rings that allow for single focusing?

85MM to 135mm for sure, get the jupiter, with helios 58mm you will get vignette.

85MM to 135mm for sure, get the jupiter, with helios 58mm you will get vignette.

SO I should get a zoom lens as my taking lens or just anything 85mm or greater? I've seen videos of the Helios 44 but they don't appear to have vignette...

I want to be able to shoot close-ups and landscape shots....

M42 is a type of lens mount that screws on to the camera. EF is the name of Canon's mount type. I bought a cheap $1.5 M42 to EF adapter which doesn't allow me to screw the lens in all the way so I would suggest spending a little more on that than I did.

Ok so all together I've got the anamorphic lens, a prime lens with the Canon EF mount and a Redstan clamp to attach the anamorphic to the taking lens?

• 2 weeks later...