Speed booster and full frame anamorphic

mark100

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Speed booster and full frame anamorphic
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
On 9/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, mark100 said:

Question. Can you use an APSC camera with speed booster and full frame anamorphic lenses? Tnx!

You would have to check the extent to which the rear element protrudes on the lens that you are going to use to ensure that it doesn't hit the lens element of the speed booster.

If you look at this Vazen 50mm for example, it has quite a large protrusion and Vazen state on their website that it will not work with all native EF mount cameras due to this - which will likely obviously make it a no go for putting it on a speed booster as well.

VAZEN_PRd001-scaled.thumb.jpg.62b7f3aef58eed390e4eb3ef200b277c.jpg

You can see the comparison here of the protrusions for different mounts of the GreatJoy anamorphics and, whilst they don't make the same statement about native EF cameras they do state that it won't work with speed boosters.

greatJoy.thumb.jpg.ddf217dcd27930c909f1581c7f76a41b.jpg

Its a conundrum because the EF version is the best option to buy this lens in because it can be adapted to all the other mounts so it immunises you against changing camera body types (or makes it more versatile if you have a few different types anyway) but it will only work on either a full frame cameras or with a dumb adapter on an APS-C camera if you don't mind not being able to reduce the FOV.

Buying full frame versions will cover you if you do move to a full frame system but if you have no intention of doing so then I'd look at APS-C versions.

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its a conundrum because the EF version is the best option to buy this lens in because it can be adapted to all the other mounts so it immunises you against changing camera body types (or makes it more versatile if you have a few different types anyway) but it will only work on either a full frame cameras or with a dumb adapter on an APS-C camera if you don't mind not being able to reduce the FOV.

Makes it far more logical by a country mile to buy it in the PL mount version instead of the EF mount 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Makes it far more logical by a country mile to buy it in the PL mount version instead of the EF mount 

True as you can adapt PL to all of them.

The adapters are considerably more expensive of course but unless you’ve got a few lenses and a couple of different body types then that wouldn’t be a massive issue.

For me personally I’d want to use them on a native EF mount, E mount, L mount, MFT and likely soon Z mount cameras.

Even using the cheap and cheerful Fotiodiox PL adapters that would be around €750 to bring that versatility whereas, because these are manual lenses and so only need the dumb adapters, it would be around €80 to adapt the EF version.

I do have a PL mount camera but it has a swappable EF mount (as does the only other cinema camera I would envisage buying) so, for me personally, the EF still wins.

Of course if someone envisages getting a PL mount camera without an interchangeable mount down the way then all bets are off !

59 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

For me personally I’d want to use them on a native EF mount, E mount, L mount, MFT and likely soon Z mount cameras.

What cameras are there now in 2022 (no interest in using Canon DSLRs these days for me) that you'd want to use with an EF mount that a PL mount doesn't exist for? 

Very few, if any.

Z Cam E2-S6? (or F6/F8) Can come in PL Mount as well. 

There would be the Pocket 6K, but that can be easily adapted to PL Mount. However I think very unfortunately the Pocket 6K Pro hasn't got an mods for PL mount yet? (if ever)

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Even using the cheap and cheerful Fotiodiox PL adapters that would be around €750 to bring that versatility whereas, because these are manual lenses and so only need the dumb adapters, it would be around €80 to adapt the EF version.

Eh? They're not €750, they're roughly a hundred ish bucks each:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470350-REG/fotodiox_pl_nikz_pro_pro_lens_mount_adapter.html 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I do have a PL mount camera but it has a swappable EF mount (as does the only other cinema camera I would envisage buying) so, for me personally, the EF still wins.

Not for me, EF Mount is a terrible mount to use on set (along with all other stills lenses). You just don't get to have the lenses firmly locked in like you really need them to be at critical moments when you're pulling focus remotely. 

If all things are equal (or only a marginal difference in price), it always makes sense to go with PL over EF mount. 

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

There would be the Pocket 6K, but that can be easily adapted to PL Mount. However I think very unfortunately the Pocket 6K Pro hasn't got an mods for PL mount yet? (if ever)

Ohhhhhh........ man, I am wrong! There is indeed a Pocket 6K Pro with PL Mount (I didn't realize the adapter could work with both original and the newer versions):

If I wasn't so deeply into my world as a Sound Mixer, then I'd definitely be going with a Blackmagic Pocket 6K Pro PL Mount camera. Be such a sweet setup with DZOFilm Zooms & Tilta Nucleus-M. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1701859-REG/dzofilm_dzo_7220001b_2b_3b_kit_pictor_zoom_3_lens_kit.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1367922-REG/tilta_nucleus_m_wireless_follow_focus.html 

• Super Members
43 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What cameras are there now in 2022 (no interest in using Canon DSLRs these days for me) that you'd want to use with an EF mount that a PL mount doesn't exist for? 

All of the cameras that I already own ?

Pocket6K, Sony A7Sii, Sigma FP, JVC LS300 and (at some point) the Nikon Z9 to name an example from each mount.

Which I own.

Why would I want to adapt it and lose the ability to quickly use native EF and EF-S lenses with IS, aperture control and, in my case with the AFX, full autofocus ?

I can do the latter with the AFX and motors which is fine but I'd do that anyway with the adapter.

If it was a quick swap to go between PL and EF like my RED which is four bolts then fair enough but that mod for the P6K is not something you'd be wanting to do every day, let alone on the go.

Eh? They're not €750, they're roughly a hundred ish bucks each:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470350-REG/fotodiox_pl_nikz_pro_pro_lens_mount_adapter.html 

I don't live in the US though.

Here in Europe, they are €150 and I'd need five of them, hence €750.

https://www.amazon.es/Fotodiox-Pro-Adaptador-Compatible-Positivo/dp/B07VZNSCCZ

Not for me, EF Mount is a terrible mount to use on set (along with all other stills lenses). You just don't get to have the lenses firmly locked in like you really need them to be at critical moments when you're pulling focus remotely. 

If all things are equal (or only a marginal difference in price), it always makes sense to go with PL over EF mount. 

I don't disagree about the locking mount but by far the biggest issues I have using focus motors with EF (or any other mount) stills lenses is with ill fitting gear rings and not using a lens support on the rods.

With a cine lens like these then the gear rings aren't an issue and as the absence of the lens support also causes issues on my native PL cine lenses on my native PL camera then I would use one irrespective.

I keep stressing in this that for me personally the EF mount is the more appropriate because I have different needs in terms of having it on different cameras but I recognise that if the majority of its use would be on a PL camera in that environment then I'd go with the PL version.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

All of the cameras that I already own ?

Ah I should have clarified what  I thought was clearly implied (such as via my reference to DSLRs):

"What cameras do you have that are only  EF?"

None it seems. 

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I keep stressing in this that for me personally the EF mount is the more appropriate because I have different needs in terms of having it on different cameras but I recognise that if the majority of its use would be on a PL camera in that environment then I'd go with the PL version.

Yes, I'm talking about the general case (and especially in the ex nihilo case), then if you are choosing between two identical lenses sets, it makes sense to always go with the PL Mount. 

Of course if a person is already heavily invested in the EF system (most people don't need to rebuy adapter for five different camera systems! And I thought I was crazy obsessive with four camera systems! haha, well, you have me beat!), and doesn't want to move away from it, then yes it makes sense for them to carry on with it. 

3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

most people don't need to rebuy adapter for five different camera systems! And I thought I was crazy obsessive with four camera systems! haha, well, you have me beat!

oh wait, I missed counted:
NX, MFT, F, E, & X... that's five! Uh oh. 

I'm just as bad as you 😉

But nah, I think you're still out ahead of me. Three out of five of those I only have one camera for: Samsung NX300, Fujifilm X-A3, Sony FS7. 

oh oops, I forgot my sixth: Sony PMW-F3. (FZ Mount)

Have lots more cameras with other mounts I haven't mentioned yet, but they're not digital cameras. 

speaking of multiple camera systems, I'm strongly considering pulling trigger on a Fuji XH2S and the open gate mode would tempt me to check out anamorphic lenses. I was set on the EF to X mount metabones cine speed booster with lock (not just for anamorphic but for most of my EF lens compatibility):

mb_spef-x-bt2_2.jpg

but I guess purely for anamorphics,  the PL version would be better?

mb_sppl-x-bt1_2.jpg

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

oh wait, I missed counted:
NX, MFT, F, E, & X... that's five! Uh oh. 

I'm just as bad as you 😉

Well...I, erm, might have a couple more.

X, F, EF-M.

In my defence, I am pretty old and don't like to throw anything away.

I haven't been in a camera shop since March 2020 which I think that qualifies me for some sort of chip from Cameraholics Anonymous.

48 minutes ago, Django said:

I was set on the EF to X mount metabones cine speed booster with lock (not just for anamorphic but for most of my EF lens compatibility):

mb_spef-x-bt2_2.jpg

but I guess purely for anamorphics,  the PL version would be better?

I guess if you've getting the locking EF mount, then you're getting some of the benefits of the PL mount already? 

So I guess it depends on what you're thinking you might do next. Maybe a Panasonic S1H mk2 could be in your future? But a locking EF mount doesn't exist for L Mount?? Then you'll be wishing you had got the PL version of the lenses! (this also depends on other factors, such as do you ever work with a 1st AC? Or do you just blindly pull focus yourself? So that level of precision and robustness you get from PL might matter a bit less to you)

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I haven't been in a camera shop since March 2020 which I think that qualifies me for some sort of chip from Cameraholics Anonymous.

Confess, the only reason  you achieved that impressive accomplishment is because of covid? 

As that specific date is awfully suspicious....

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

In my defence, I am pretty old and don't like to throw anything away.

I feel you. 

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

And as if by magic, Viltrox have now released one 😉

Viltrox must be reading my posts. 

Viltrox, can you please release a seven lens set of T2 S35 PL Mount prime lenses for under $300 each. With a trio of T3 PL Mount zooms too for sub $600 each. All matching with each other of course. 

Thanks!

oh, and give me please a VIltrox branded quick release that's compatible with Rycote Boom Quick Release for a tenth of the price! Thanks again Viltrox. 

image.png.285c024676ff7be11d83fb7c330991a9.png