Best small camera for 1080/60p - Panasonic GX7 and A6000 review

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is there any kind of tele converter on the a6000 like we can find on the gx7 ?

Thanks !

No, I don't think there is.      I don't have a A6000 but I do have an A7 and GX7.

What I do find though is that the lossless ETC in the GX7 is not something that can be used seamlessly.    The GX7 also has 2x and 4x digital zoom but with the 2.6x lossless ETC, you either have it on or off.

With the A7 (and I believe the A6000 though not sure) while there is no lossless built in teleconverter, the digital zoom is much better as it is variable up to 4x.        It can be set to use while recording and up to something like 1.6x or even more might be useful.     That means you can zoom in with a fast prime on a tripod and if you don't use too great a zoom level could be ok.        You can have it set as digital zoom (which goes up to 4x) or clearzoom which goes up to 2x.

The GX7 ETC is very handy if you use it to make one lens effectively two though in video mode.

Thanks Noone ! Can you edit a video showing what the a7 and gx7 can do ?

Hope this is ok.      My video skills are zilch as yet and I just used Windows Movie Maker.    This has been saved a couple of times too so there is a bit more rubbish (especially in the APSC mode).

This was just an A7 on a stills tripod with a 50mm 1.8  Nikon lens at 5.6 zoomed out and then in using FF mode then APSC mode using Clearzoom up to 2x'     You could use up to 4x if you like.

Both the A6000 and A7s would be better for video.    I have the "down" button (of the four way buttons) set to Clearzoom and use the wb button to zoom in and the drive button to zoom back out.     It would be great if you could hit a button to change between FF and APSC mode the same as it would be nice if you could use the ETC in the GX7 while recording.      GX7 with the same lens later.

• 2 months later...

anyone else noticed the GX7's EVF is alot more saturated in low light than it is in bright light settings?

In low light it looks nothing like the rear screen ,

the rear screen is good it seems accurate colour wise

just the EVF is way off in low light , crushed blacks and very very saturated

The G6's evf looks exactly like its rear sceen all the time - and great to use

Just wondering if anyone else has this saturated crushed look on their GX7 EVF in low light?

GX7 is a great camera cleaner image wise than the G6 , especially in low light at night - Im seeing alot less noise than the g6 and finer grain noise when I do get some.