Help! Looking for good BTS films, docs, YouTube vids on the making of films???

Trek of Joy

Peeps,

I'm working with some students and searching for more films like Hearts of Darkness or Burden of Dreams that take a deep dive into the making of a film. It doesn't have to be feature length, but I'd prefer if it were about productions that involved a crew, a budget, a schedule and so on that show the challenges of a production and how those challenges were overcome. I have Netflix, Amazon and a smart TV with all the freebies.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
12 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Peeps,

I'm working with some students and searching for more films like Hearts of Darkness or Burden of Dreams that take a deep dive into the making of a film. It doesn't have to be feature length, but I'd prefer if it were about productions that involved a crew, a budget, a schedule and so on that show the challenges of a production and how those challenges were overcome. I have Netflix, Amazon and a smart TV with all the freebies.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Project Greenlight might fit the bill.

I've only watched the first season as I'm not sure if the other seasons aired in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Greenlight

To be honest, I'm not sure the first one did either and I may have watched it via a "non-traditional" method 🙂 

Its based on a competition element but once that is out of the way after the opening episode or two and they've picked the winning script it then follows the whole process through to the film being released.

I have lots of BTS videos on my youtube channel (and from the sound perspective, which is a very frequently overlooked aspect). Plus the kind of productions which allow me to / don't mind if I do BTS, are often smaller budget productions, and more relatable to your students than AAA Blockbuster Films. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding/videos 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, IronFilm said:

I have lots of BTS videos on my youtube channel (and from the sound perspective, which is a very frequently overlooked aspect). Plus the kind of productions which allow me to / don't mind if I do BTS, are often smaller budget productions, and more relatable to your students than AAA Blockbuster Films. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding/videos 

Thank you! These do help as I'm trying to show a bit of every facet of production, and sound is obviously very important.

Cheers!

Chris

On 9/6/2022 at 4:54 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Project Greenlight fits the bill for you in terms of the full crew/budget/schedule aspect but, even just for contrast, this full length run down of the whole process on a micro level is very comprehensive.

Awesome, thanks so much! It doesn't have to be big features or anything, just want different perspectives on creating a film, the wide variety of crew members, scheduling, locations, crew management, and actually shooting.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Cheers

Chris

12 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Thank you! These do help as I'm trying to show a bit of every facet of production, and sound is obviously very important.

Cheers!

Chris

Feel free to ask me anything about sound you'd like the students to learn, or even do live Q&A stream, always happy to help and give advice. I live and breath sound mixing.