What would happen if we took all the best features and put them in ONE camera...

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
DSLRs

What's the ultimate cross-breed camera of 2014? If we take all the strong points of the manufacturers and put them in one camera, what do we get?

• Full frame sensor from the Sony A7S

• 4K internal codec from the Panasonic GH4

• Big EVF from Fuji and their lovely X-T1

• 5 axis in-body stabilisation from Olympus (working for video with any lens)

• Cine lenses by Sigma - their 35mm F1.4 and 50mm F1.4 are that good

• Bundled grading / editing software from Blackmagic - Resolve 11

• Ergonomic styling by Fuji

I'm very sorry but I couldn't think of a single class leading technology that Canon and Nikon have brought to the market in the last few years to complete my dream camera!

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Err what are you trying to say in this post Andrew?

Do I need to spell it out for you... really? For the guy who doesn't know what the word 'filmic' is in relation to cameras, I better not even bother!

• Administrators

Such a camera would cost all those cameras combined.  :D

It really wouldn't :) Just add the GH4's codec to the A7S and you nearly have it ;)

By the way I much prefer the GH4, E-M1 and X-T1 ergonomics to the Sony now... Makes my A7R feel so clunky!

Do I need to spell it out for you... really? For the guy who doesn't know what the word 'filmic' is in relation to cameras, I better not even bother!

Whoa. Easy their sailor. Where did you come up with me not knowing what 'filmic' is in relation to cameras? 

If you are trying to say what the perfect camera would be, then I guess you are bang on. If this is meant to tease about an upcoming camera. Kudos, you have everyone's attention. 

• Administrators

Canon somehow started the revolution , and now take a look at the groundbreaking revolutionary new products that canon presented at the last NAB .

Yes, I was out of my tree with excitement :)

There.

Be less annoying. Thank you.

And that said that I didn't know what 'filmic' meant? Read the rest of the thread. It was more to say how that term get's people all riled up with everyone's interpretations of the word. Time to go back to lurking :( 

Nah..

• 4K internal codec from the Panasonic GH4 2K RAW from Blackmagic
  • Bundled grading / editing software from Blackmagic - Resolve 11 free Blackmagic Resolve Light

The Canon EOS-M is a marvelous little camera that can shoot 720 24p RAW through ML.  It is a platform that can easily compete with the Sony NEX and now A series, but Canon isn't putting its weight behind it.  Canon and NIkon's business is just too spread out.  They're large, mostly stagnant corporations.  They're now in the business of protecting their bottom-line for as long as they can.  

If there's one thing Panasonic's GM1 proves, there will be no single perfect camera.  The kind of video you can get out of that thing, and silent-shutter stealthy shooting, is close to perfect.  For what it is, I would say it IS perfect.  If photography wasn't may main focus, I'd be GM1 this and GM1 that as bad as Andy!  In short, I don't know what anyone could do to improve on that little camera.

I've now been using the a7 for a few weeks.  So far, there is nothing major I don't like about the camera and I have a long history of Sony annoyances.  For small- full-frame shooting, it is close to perfect.

The Blackmagic cameras are not "sadly flawed" to me when I factor in what they can do for the price.  If you want professional-system RAW, at a consumer price, they are the only game in town.

I bet some executives at Panasonic, Blackmagic and Sony say, "Why is Andrew always complaining about what Canon and Nikon can't do."  If all you want to do is go out and shoot with the best camera available, who cares?  

Panasonic, Blackmagic and Sony (and a bit of Olympus and Fuji) are all on their way to building that perfect camera.  Who cares about your Dad's camera company that is beginning to smell like stale farts? ;)

Fullframe is a must for me to go medium format the cheap way. I've finished a small version of my medium format speedbooster and it works, but I need a a7s because on my nikons I can only focus a few inches away and the quality isn't that great. On the groundglass the story is another, the quality seems better and the focus goes to infinity.

Can't wait for metabone to come up with a perfect one.

G44C9437b-660x371.jpg

What's the ultimate cross-breed camera of 2014? If we take all the strong points of the manufacturers and put them in one camera, what do we get?

•  
  •  
  • 4K internal codec from the Panasonic GH4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Bundled grading / editing software from Blackmagic - Resolve 11
  •  

That reminded me of a somewhat similar pondering several years ago in a car/tech magazine about the many different cars, each with their own nice features, but not in the same car. The end result of that thought process was a car with the front of a Mercedes and the rear of a Citroen, or something along those lines. That would be a nice car no doubt, but with one little caveat, that car wouldn't go anywhere. Unless you pushed it yourself, or had nothing but downhill ahead of you.  :)

Furthermore, if we shoved all those features from all those different cameras into one body, the body would probably have to be as big, if not bigger than the Nikon D4s, and it would probably be as heavy and expensive, too. 

Just saying.  ;)

Not that I would mind such a dream camera with all or most of the goodies from those models. Provided that it wasn't as big and expensive as the D4s.

I'm very sorry but I couldn't think of a single class leading technology that 

Canon

and 

Nikon

have brought to the market in the last few years to complete my dream camera!

Ho hum, who cares. Canikon Scmanikon. They've been stalling the industry long enough already.  They'll join the party again eventually, or become (even more) obsolete. 

Oh and btw, what about another dream machine with a slightly different twist?

-the CCD sensor and guts of a Digital Bolex 

-the price point of a BMCC or BMPCC

-the looks of the Fuji, Sony or Panasonic top of the line model

Wouldn't mind having something like that, either.

Furthermore, if we shoved all those features from all those different cameras into one body, the body would probably have to be as big, if not bigger than the Nikon D4s, and it would probably be as heavy and expensive, too. 

Just saying.  ;)

I have traveled a lot with a D3 and you get used to the size pretty quickly, and once you get used to that body there is no way back (at least for me). So to me the body size is an advantage, if it had a EVF it would be also great for video because it has a very natural fit into hands and good big lenses don't tend to make you unstable.

Cameras are tools.

Like any craftsman/woman, you should have a range of tools,

Some tools are better at doing things than others.

Going out to a job with just one spanner doesn't always cut it.

I keep an old Vidicon tube camera at hand just for special use. It has a dreamy unreal look which is hard to do in post. I pump its output (remember BNC?) into an old DV walkman deck. I also keep my old Super8 gear although film processing is getting harder to do.