Samsung NX1 mirrorless camera to feature 4K video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think your guess of what the quality will be like is a good one.   It will possibly be no better than the 4k that appears in their phones. 

And even if it does happen to be good quality, we are unlikely to see any usability functions like peaking or zebras etc.  Sony and Panasonic have moved forward with this kind of thing but the other companies have done very little.

At some point samsung, if the market is still big enough, will enter the competition in a serious way. But for us they aren't really attractive because the mount they use has a long flange focal distance that makes speedboosters unviable.

I hope they do something exciting like put a their ultra-low power SSD on there with an option for 4:4:4 1080p 14-bit RAW with 20 stops of dynamic range.  Heck, why not 4K 4:4:4 14-bit RAW.  Their SSD's do about 450MB/sec sequential write (3600mbits/sec).  5x faster than the fastest CF card, and it goes up to 1TB.  If they need a faster processor than anything out right now, they can print those too.

Let's not hope it does 50/Mbit h.264 4K like the Galaxy Note 3.   :ph34r:

I'm excited about Samsung being in the enthusiast/low-end (price wise) pro camera market, if for no other reason than because they have loads of capital. They don't need to hit with every camera in the way that other companies do, and so I'm really okay with the mediocre offerings thus far. So long as they're building towards something, so long as they really care about getting it right for photographers and cinematographers (and not just being predatory in the consumer market a la Canon with their recycled parts entry-level SLRs), I'm happy to see them in the game.

Rumor says it will run on Android. Forget all the pro stuff. But at least you'll be able to play Angry Birds on it.

Nothing wrong with Android.  Having looked at the NX, Android can interface with cameras with full manual controls.  The large touchscreen works well for video and quick control adjustments.  What's going to matter is the processor...will it have the hardware to do hardware based encoding of with the codecs people want.  The Galaxy Note 3 4K video is surprisingly descent at 50mbit/sec, but people are looking for higher bitrate and a better codec.  Codecs like IPB, ALL-I, DNxHD, ProRes, XAVC.  Definitely not H.264 because of it's abrupt clipping of the darks and lights.  Does Samsung know that H.264 is good for playing video, not good for recording with it?  I hope so.