Sony FX30 (S35 FX3)

Django

@Emanuel I don't know what's going on in that video. Could be the lens, AF or user error. 

Fuji AF is very lens dependent because their older lenses were simply not built for video AF (Fuji only got into video with XT2). So again yes you can get pretty good AF with the newer linear motor lenses. You might still get the occasional pulse or hunt and their is no tap to track which is why I'm saying it isn't on par with Canon/Sony AF.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Django said:

@Emanuel I don't know what's going on in that video. Could be the lens, AF or user error. 

Fuji AF is very lens dependent because their older lenses were simply not built for video AF (Fuji only got into video with XT2). So again yes you can get pretty good AF with the newer linear motor lenses. You might still get the occasional pulse or hunt and their is no tap to track which is why I'm saying it isn't on par with Canon/Sony AF.

User error? I find it hard to accept it but it could be lens related yes, indeed. Thanks for your comment and suggestion : )

Once this is the Sony's thread so I am opening a new thread here:

Please help. Suggestions are very welcome. BTW do you use any Fujifilm camera atm?

4 hours ago, Django said:

cool how about some feedback on how the camera operates? is shooting anamorphic a challenge? did you use a monitor to desqueeze? any overall pro/cons?

Sure. You can use IBIS, just set lens info in the stabilization menu to 35mm. My videos were all handheld, so IBIS was effective.

It's all manual, of course. The big challenge was focus. The lens barrel has distance markings, the focusing mechanism is long throw and linear, which is all good. The magnification button of the fx30 is really helpful as are the colored focusing aid (I chose red). I didn't try the new full screen color mapping for focus.

Occasionally I would forget I needed to focus, I have relied so much on Sony's auto focus. It does slow you down. I was conservative in not choosing the widest apertures because I didn't want a shallow dof in case I misfocus. Using wider apertures in some shots would have been nicer for image quality. Also wider apertures make what is not in focus more evident.

In DaVinci Resolve desqueezing is easy: just select all clips, right click for clip attributes, and choose the pixel aspect ratio as 1.33X. This perfectly desqueezes this 1.33X anamorphic lens clips.

I shot without a monitor to desqueeze. I have no problem composing shots as the lcd shows exactly what is in the frame, just squeezed. I was pleased with the compositions. I have shot anamorphic before without a desqueezing aid.

1 hour ago, angang said:

From what i saw on multiple videos, 4k 120fps have a very big problem with noisy quality. Do you think it is a bug ?

It crops in on the sensor in 4k 120fps, which makes noise larger and less fine. You just have to expose more carefully or over expose a bit. The good thing is that it's still high bitrate, 10 bit so you have that dynamic range and color information to play with. 

5 hours ago, markr041 said:

Sure. You can use IBIS, just set lens info in the stabilization menu to 35mm. My videos were all handheld, so IBIS was effective.

It's all manual, of course. The big challenge was focus. The lens barrel has distance markings, the focusing mechanism is long throw and linear, which is all good. The magnification button of the fx30 is really helpful as are the colored focusing aid (I chose red). I didn't try the new full screen color mapping for focus.

Occasionally I would forget I needed to focus, I have relied so much on Sony's auto focus. It does slow you down. I was conservative in not choosing the widest apertures because I didn't want a shallow dof in case I misfocus. Using wider apertures in some shots would have been nicer for image quality. Also wider apertures make what is not in focus more evident.

In DaVinci Resolve desqueezing is easy: just select all clips, right click for clip attributes, and choose the pixel aspect ratio as 1.33X. This perfectly desqueezes this 1.33X anamorphic lens clips.

I shot without a monitor to desqueeze. I have no problem composing shots as the lcd shows exactly what is in the frame, just squeezed. I was pleased with the compositions. I have shot anamorphic before without a desqueezing aid.

Can you magnify while recording?

Yet on the above-posted concern and @TomTheDP accurate response ofc, still wondering about the performance of this capture device, also actually noticed by @angang and as for instance here:

On 11/21/2022 at 1:14 AM, Emanuel said:

Obviously that crop doesn't help either when ISO 2500 is not enough to prevent annoying noise (such as this sample HERE) when under pressure of a higher frame rate.

So:

Can you @markr041 or any other FX30 user out there, give it a try on low light under distinct ISOs for 4K 120fps?

How noisy the MFT wide crop ends to be?

Ok, here you go - 4K 120P @1/250th shutter and ISO 2500 in very dim light (HDR😞

Now, in these settings where there are bright lights as well as big areas that are dark, one has to expose to avoid hotspots, so darker areas will be noisier. In a more uniformly lit area, one can expose for the shadows and get less noise.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, markr041 said:

Ok, here you go - 4K 120P @1/250th shutter and ISO 2500 in very dim light (HDR😞

Now, in these settings where there are bright lights as well as big areas that are dark, one has to expose to avoid hotspots, so darker areas will be noisier. In a more uniformly lit area, one can expose for the shadows and get less noise.

Thank you! Such "torture" test as you've called it : D has shown to declare some truth from very of its own... The locations and lit vs shadow areas picked by you follow the whole thing : )

However, I'd still be eager to find the same location(s) (because not every locations and light + dark/shadow circumstances challenge the capture device in the same way) and the noise obviously under different ISOs... from one end to another.

Don't want to bug you with, if you'll be willing to offer though, that would be rather useful to everyone looking for buying the camera.

Much appreciated,

- EAG :- )

• 2 weeks later...