Sony FX30 (S35 FX3)

Django

joking aside there is a strong tendency here from Lumix users to talk up their cameras in every single product thread. I don't mind camera comparisons but if you're eyeing an FX30, chances are you're probably interested in AF, APS-C/S35 format & the Sony ecosystem. Let's at least compare what is comparable.. just saying.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think their popularity is simply due to currently being the most active camera systems in terms of bodies and lenses.. both in hybrid and cine lines. Sony has also become an industry standard in a lot of pro video sectors, I know that's why I joined their ecosystem not necessarily because I was a fan of their cameras although I can't complain about the FS7, its been real money maker despite its age. The FX30 is basically a mini FS7 so yeah it's an interesting release at an affordable price point.

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That's a funny way to spell "S-o-n-y F-X-3-0"

Kids these days....  they can barely spell!

14 hours ago, Django said:

joking aside there is a strong tendency here from Lumix users to talk up their cameras in every single product thread. I don't mind camera comparisons but if you're eyeing an FX30, chances are you're probably interested in AF, APS-C/S35 format & the Sony ecosystem. Let's at least compare what is comparable.. just saying.

In that case, let me talk about if you should buy a GH5 instead of an FX30......  don't.

3 hours ago, markr041 said:

4K 30P Night video at ISO 2500 Slog3:

Sony FE 20mm f2 lens. Some use of CIZ.

I've watched it a few hours ago and recognized your name and said to myself, this EOSHD fellow is going to follow the same pieces of street videography gear as I am : D

Kudos to your tests, pal, this is indie shooting at its best : ) I guess I won't help myself to end buying a couple of each them:

4K 120fps GoPro 11 and now this FX30 and the lowlight performance of this thing make it priceless for the price of everything, glass you can couple included, my MFT Sirui anamorphics set via adapter and so on :- )

Nice days to be a shooter!

- EAG

Indie shooting at its best? That´s a stretch. No offense. It´s a good test nonetheless! I like your enthusiasm of course, you know that, my friend.:) @Emanuel  I would not necessarily watch a 90min lowlight test or get sucked into its magic, instead of being captured by beautifully crafted indie flix, realized with the craft, skill and art of many people and departments, not the least by stunning cinematography? Don´t get me wrong. Marks Test is a great display of meaningful testing Slog3 at ISO 2500 but not an indie flick nor short nor essay or cinema verité. 🙂

I would rather like to hear from @A_Urquhart shooting experience with the FS7 and hopefully the FX30 than hearing myself bitch about how the Lumix S series is equally as compelling (or for my needs possibly slightly as I own the S1). So again, sorry to you, dear forum fellow. Looking forward to be reading more of your findings. Best and have a great weekend!

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Indie shooting at its best? That´s a stretch. No offense. It´s a good test nonetheless! I like your enthusiasm of course, you know that, my friend.:) @Emanuel  I would not necessarily watch a 90min lowlight test or get sucked into its magic, instead of being captured by beautifully crafted indie flix, realized with the craft, skill and art of many people and departments, not the least by stunning cinematography? Don´t get me wrong. Marks Test is a great display of meaningful testing Slog3 at ISO 2500 but not an indie flick nor short nor essay or cinema verité. 🙂

My friend, indie shooting means when you're the most independent of external variables like budget, crew, production values, etc.. This tool gives you the most extent of this formula ; ) Will you be able to make it alone by yourself? Of course not, but the most you're able to get an outcome from there without needing extra resources the best : )

In this sense :- )

Here's a FX30 in someone's else other sense ; )

But IMO this is not exactly proper of a camera technology forum, to each its own, I believe we need to focus on a specific perspective or focus and not willing to discuss general lapalissade stuff. This is all about the potentiality of a certain tool or its specs in the way they can affect our métier.

When I watch tests like this, it reminds me how much I dislike gratuitous slow motion. I think every filmmaker should be given a lifetime allocation of 10 minutes of slow motion that they can use judiciously throughout their career. It's like exclamation points: I remember reading a diatribe against them in which the author said that every writer should be given a lifetime supply of exactly one exclamation point.

2 hours ago, bjohn said:

When I watch tests like this, it reminds me how much I dislike gratuitous slow motion. I think every filmmaker should be given a lifetime allocation of 10 minutes of slow motion that they can use judiciously throughout their career. It's like exclamation points: I remember reading a diatribe against them in which the author said that every writer should be given a lifetime supply of exactly one exclamation point.

I completely agree with you!!!

Limits on zooms and pans also!!

Here is my video that exceeds my quotas showing the slow motion capability of the fx30 (dancing!) and an extended zoom using clear image zoom plus power optical:

Really, it is just to test, but I actually like the dancing in slow motion.

Sorry I'm allergic to 60p uploaded footage. It shouldn't even be an option lol. 

Noticeable IQ drop in 4K120p. Alongside the window crop that's going to be a tough mode to shoot in.

As for the low-light it seems kind of average. 2500 ISO high base isn't a lot but its always nice its dual base.

Speedbooster would help the cam. Would like to see some FX30 footage paired with nice FF glass.