Sony FX30 (S35 FX3)

Django

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not necessary to compare the FX30 to a S5, as the S5 is a full grown hybrid offering Full Frame goodness in 10bit video and for photography as well, also offering a variety of features like anamporhpic modes, which the FX30 does not offer.

The S5 offers Full Frame and you can go down to Super 35 as well, cropping to the sensor size of the Sony FX30. The sensor of the S5 is more than twice the size of the FX30, still it only being almost half the price of it. For people who don´t need AF and timecode, the S5 is the better option imo. Best bang for buck!

Better image quality, cheaper wide angle options, full frame and full image cirlce on cheap wide angle lenses, cheap adapters for taking advantage of it, same rolling shutter in its optional Super 35 crop mode. No brainer. Back to you FX30 fans, I will hold on to myself and stay calm. FX30 looks appealing due to AF and full HDMI. 🙂

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Not necessary to compare the FX30 to a S5, as the S5 is a full grown hybrid offering Full Frame goodness in 10bit video and for photography as well, also offering a variety of features like anamporhpic modes, which the FX30 does not offer.

The S5 offers Full Frame and you can go down to Super 35 as well, cropping to the sensor size of the Sony FX30. The sensor of the S5 is more than twice the size of the FX30, still it only being almost half the price of it. For people who don´t need AF and timecode, the S5 is the better option imo. Best bang for buck!

Better image quality, cheaper wide angle options, full frame and full image cirlce on cheap wide angle lenses, cheap adapters for taking advantage of it, same rolling shutter in its optional Super 35 crop mode. No brainer. Back to you FX30 fans, I will hold on to myself and stay calm. FX30 looks appealing due to AF and full HDMI. 🙂

As it's not really a hybrid camera, there are less compromises made in video mode on the FX30. 

If I am comparing the FX30 to the S5, then here in Australia they are the same price.

FX30 has an All-I Codec, No 30min record limit in 10bit, professional audio, Timecode support, MUCH better AF if you're into it.

Sony's ecosystem is huge and third party manufacturers are making lenses with electronic support for e mount in droves.

Also, I can use the FX30 as a B or C Camera to the FX3, FX6, and FX9 which are all 'industry standards' so to speak here in Australia for shooting broadcast content. Post houses deal with SLOG3 all the time and familiarity with colour workflow trumps any debatable image quality advantage the S5 has that you mention.

Sure, the S5 is full frame which is the only real 'advantage' for video. 'Full frame' is not the be all and end all but if I want, I have a Metabones speed booster I can attach to the FX30 which makes it Full Frame. We also sometimes use the Alexa Mini and MiniLF. We chose them on a project to project basis and we don't always choose the LF by default just because it has the bigger sensor. 

Ultimately, If you need one camera to do it all, sure the S5 is a fine choice.

I'm not here to create a spec argument and not sure why you wouldn't stay calm if you are happy with your choice but to say one camera is better than the other in general terms is incorrect I feel.

Sure, the S5 is a better hybrid camera.

Thinking about this more......

Regardless of price, the FX30 gives many video shooters features that they need.

My circumstances require an ALL-I codec, Timecode support, professional audio and most importantly.......when filming interviews, I need to be able to record for longer than 30 minutes.

The S5 doesn't give me any features I need so regardless of price, it just doesn't cut it. No one 'needs' full frame.

If you need stills in the same camera...then the S5 is an obvious choice. 

18 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

With the S5 you can record with no limit with 4K 25 8bit and 1080 10 bit. I do long form streaming with one. 2-3 hours non stop. I have the XLR unit with pro audio. It's the same price as the FX30 XLR unit.

Anyway, great to have so many choices. just make sure you don't take Youtube influencers as gospel.

Yeah, knocking it down it 8bit to record longer than 30min is not really an option for the work I do. Haven't used an 8 bit camera professionally for at least 5 years. Personally don't have an issue with it most of the time but my clients expect 10bit across the board, not just for some shots.

Is the 30 minute 10bit limit due to overheating or just a cripple hammer move by Panasonic?

Don't worry, YouTube 'Influencers' are the last people I listen to! Most of them don't even seem to shoot anything more than their own Youtube videos.

@A_Urquhart You posted quiet often about the Sony, even three times in direct row, stating some false superlatives, like the Sony being the best for cinelenses.😅 How is it the best when an Eos M for 150 EUR isn't worse in that regard.😂

S5 also has an additional XLR module!😅

Slog3 out the FX30, we will see how that goes. The so called All Intra has to prove itself. It was prone to artefacts in the FS7. So far VLog on the S series and the Long Gop are proven image quality leaders rivaling or bettering a C70. VLog has been a darling for Netflix. But let' s assume both cameras offer equal image quality. Enjoy your Sony and share your footage, if you find the time. I will do the same with my Lumix S1.

Oh hold it, THAT one records unlimited 10 bit, has full Hdmi and costs around 1200 Eur on the used market. New challenger here. But i get it, fx30 is a nice cam with timecode and af. That's good for those who need it. Anyone else look elsewhere and save a lot of money. Anyway, please let's not repeat ourselves and if so not with falslihoods like exclusive "professional audio" or "best for cinema glass".

I think the Fx is an interesting camera but let' leave out the false superlatives, especially when you can get a used Lumix S1 for 1200 Eur. Thank you!

9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

You posted quiet often about the Sony, even three times in direct row, stating some false superlatives, like the Sony being the best for cinelenses.😅 How is it the best when an Eos M for 150 EUR isn't worse in that regard.😂

Yep, I posted three times in a row. Arrest me! That's mainly due to not being able to edit or add to a post very shortly after posting. Didn't know it was a crime! 

I think you will find that what I said about cine lenses and crop sensors was....and I quote "I also wanted a camera that could shoot high quality APS-C for using most current cine lenses which the FX30 excels at". The FX30 is a great APSC camera, there is no debating that. APSC or S35 (not the same thing)  is extremely well catered for when it comes to cine lens selection and it's still a perfectly good format for me. It has been the industry standard for many decades. Many more cine lenses in S35 format than full frame. Sure, you can shoot in APSC mode on many cameras but it sounded like you were in the 'Full Frame or nothing' camp. Happy if I was wrong. 

EOSM is worse than the FX30 in many regards and may be better in some....not sure what your point is? So if I am happy to shoot in APSC then I should just shoot EOSM because it's cheap? Not sure what your getting at here? What about all the other features it lacks? Is the EOSM the best choice for APSC shooting overall?

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Slog3 out the FX30, we will see how that goes. The so called All Intra has to prove itself.

SLOG3 and All-I have proven themselves. The FX30 is not the first camera with these and that is why the production/post houses I have to deal with  prefer them. I stated that I personally had nothing against LONG GOP so you can argue that with post production. It fits in with their work flow here and I've also been shooting for two clients in Europe that requested SLOG3 footage. Never had one ask for VLOG. That's not to say VLOG is bad, but me buying into Panasonic just won't earn me any money....I don't know anyone shooting it unlike Sony and Canon.

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Oh hold it, THAT one records unlimited 10 bit, has full Hdmi and costs around 1200 Eur on the used market. New challenger here. But i get it, fx30 is a nice cam with timecode and af. That's good for those who need it.

Ok, so are you going to melt the S1 and S5 into each other to create the perfect Panasonic "Challenger"?

Look, a camera is more that one or two flagship specs. It's a sum of ALL it's parts. The FX30 ticks pretty much all the most important requirements for me. According to you so far I need to carry around an EOSM, an S1 and an S5....I'm really confused at what you're trying to prove here.

I said the S5 is a great hybrid camera. I'm happy with the FX30 which Is possibly why I don't feel the need to get on the Panasonic S5 thread and bag it to defend my purchase. Are you happy with the S5? I hope so and I hope you go out and enjoy shooting with it. Not sure why people have to pump up their chests and get aggressive when it comes to camera specs??

13 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Not sure why people have to pump up their chests and get aggressive when it comes to camera specs??

Is this a camera thing?

Are there forums out there with carpenters spending this much time and effort arguing about why their Makita drill is better than the others DEWALT drill? 

Two post in a row! 🤯

Hehe, the FX "excels" no more in  adapting S35 Cine lenses than an Eos M, despite it being the better sensor and codecs and processing in a box.😅 It's pretty easy actually to get my point: the S line from Panasonic offers Super35 AND full frame. So your exclusive spec sheet race is utter hyperbole imo. It is okay with me but it is also super okay with me to point that out. It's all good. I leave it at that. You are exited about this camera and that's cool. Varicam Vlog was a force on Netflix narratives. Slog 3 in the Venice then? U tell us if you enjoy to and find time to.

Btw i own the S1 not the S5, I need that full Hdmi.;)

9 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hehe, the FX "excels" no more in  adapting S35 Cine lenses than an Eos M, despite it being the better sensor and codecs and processing in a box.😅 It's pretty easy actually to get my point: the S line from Panasonic offers Super35 AND full frame. So your exclusive spec sheet race is utter hyperbole imo. It is okay with me but it is also super okay with me to point that out. It's all good. I leave it at that. You are exited about this camera and that's cool. Varicam Vlog was a force on Netflix narratives. Slog 3 in the Venice then? U tell us if you enjoy to and find time to.

You pick one phrase and really pull it apart! What I meant was that I am happy with an APSC camera. I don't need full frame. I just wanted a great APSC camera and that is what I got. I wasn't saying that the S5 was no good in APSC mode was I? Sorry if that is what you thought I meant and got offended? It was not my intention.

Is the FX30 the best APSC video camera out there? Nope.

Does it suit my needs better than most other cameras out there? Yep.

I have camera operated on two Netflix docs back on the FS7. Never had a complaint from Post production about it. But again, I never said the Vlog was bad did I?

8 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Is this a camera thing?

Are there forums out there with carpenters spending this much time and effort arguing about why their Makita drill is better than the others DEWALT drill? 

Two post in a row! 🤯

I subscribe to many YT channels across an extremely broad range of topics, and I can say an emphatic YES that there is bizarre pedantry in virtually any hobby on earth.

Artists get hate comments about their paintings based on if they use natural or artificial bristles in their paint brushes, woodworking channels get hate comments if they take a large piece of wood and cut it up into smaller pieces, people who make outdoor off-roading videos get hate comments on how they choose to drive around corners, people who talk about coffee and coffee-making equipment get hate comments if they put milk in their coffee (and don't get anyone started on milk-alternatives)....

If anyone out there can find a hobby that has more than two people interested in it where there aren't people arguing about some minute aspect like the fate of the world depends on it then I'd be curious to see it because I haven't found one yet.

PS:

image.thumb.png.8b8c1f9ba40c80da73a08787d24356a7.png

20 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

S5 also has an additional XLR module!😅

Ah yes, the Panasonic DMW-XLR1, but at a cost! 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304877-REG/panasonic_dmw_xlr1_xlr_microphone_adapter.html

10 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Yep, I posted three times in a row. Arrest me! That's mainly due to not being able to edit or add to a post very shortly after posting. Didn't know it was a crime! 

I agree it is very very very annoying! 

9 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Is this a camera thing?

Funnily enough, there is! I certainly spot now or then on my facebook feed people going into various brands of hardware tools. So I bet entire facebook groups / forums probably exist for that? 

Guys love to geek out and argue debates about their toys!

9 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Two post in a row! 🤯

Oh noes, me too!