Sony FX30 (S35 FX3)

Django

Didn't really see this one coming:

26MP APS-C sensor

similar FX3 body and similar FX3 specs

same FX3 interface (from latest firmware)

unconfirmed: Price around $2,500

announcement in late September

(Source: SAR)

If the rumoured price is confirmed this could be quite disruptive as it would be almost half the price of an FX3 and by far the cheapest FX line camera.

The latest FX3 firmware adds LUT support, Cine EI modes & timecode sync.

So basically a GH6, XH2S & R7 competitor.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Django said:

Didn't really see this one coming:

26MP APS-C sensor

similar FX3 body and similar FX3 specs

same FX3 interface (from latest firmware)

unconfirmed: Price around $2,500

announcement in late September

(Source: SAR)

If the rumoured price is confirmed this could be quite disruptive as it would be almost half the price of an FX3 and by far the cheapest FX line camera.

The latest FX3 firmware adds LUT support, Cine EI modes & timecode sync.

So basically a GH6, XH2S & R7 competitor.

Sounds like an awesome buy, though even with it’s CINE features, a bit hard to justify givin you can get a similar, full-frame image out of the A7IV for the same price. 

1 hour ago, FHDcrew said:

Sounds like an awesome buy, though even with it’s CINE features, a bit hard to justify givin you can get a similar, full-frame image out of the A7IV for the same price. 

It will certainly come down to the sensor and specs. Hopefully it uses the 26MP XH2S stacked sensor.

By the way A7IV becomes APS-C in 4K60p, has terrible rolling shutter, no 4K120p and overheating issues.

In the end, it probably won't convert FF Sony shooters but rather aimed at S35 FS5/FS7 users like myself that are used to the crop factor and have according lenses like the Sigma 18-35 etc.

Interesting…

The FX3 has been one of my ‘contenders’ since it came out but as a hybrid shooter, not ideal.

The A7iv annoyed me with having 4K 50p crop as one thing any future system has to have is no crop or at least ‘the same’ crop switching between stills & video.

I’d still rather have it all in one single unit (Z9 ticks every single box except size & weight which is The compromise) but an FX30 and A7iv pairing would work very nicely as I’d get the higher res FF stills I’d prefer plus the video from each in 4K 50p would be the same crop.

It’s going on the list as a second best choice if I can’t pick up a Z9 before my next season…

For me/my needs, I like it.

20 hours ago, ntblowz said:

For few hundreds more you can get used A7S3 though for better image quality 🤔 but less MP for stills.

I guess $2500 is the new price point for cropped sensor, would the rumoured R7C be at this price too.

FF doesn't always mean "better image quality". REDs & ARRIs would strongly disagree!

Of course we shouldn't expect that level of IQ from a $2500 Sony but this isn't your run of the mill APS-C camera.

Again depending on the sensor & specs this might be a popular choice.

In any case its nice to have options and more affordable true hybrids like FX30 & R7C are welcome to the market.

9 hours ago, Django said:

FF doesn't always mean "better image quality". REDs & ARRIs would strongly disagree!

Of course we shouldn't expect that level of IQ from a $2500 Sony but this isn't your run of the mill APS-C camera.

Again depending on the sensor & specs this might be a popular choice.

In any case its nice to have options and more affordable true hybrids like FX30 & R7C are welcome to the market.

With Canon becoming hostile to third-parties, maybe the availability of Speedboosters for Sony might mean that a S35 Sony with third-party SB provides better support for non-native FF lenses than a FF Canon?

On 9/3/2022 at 11:51 AM, Django said:

Sony announced that these products will have an 8% price increase.

a1

a9M2

a7SM3

a7C

a7M4

a7M3

a6600

FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM

FE 12-24mm F4 G

FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM

Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS

FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS

FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS

FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G OSS

FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3G OSS

FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS

FE 14mm f/1.8 GM

FE 24mm F1.4 GM

FE 35mm f/1.4 GM

FE 20mm f/1.8G

FE 24mm F2.8G

Distagon T* FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA

FE 28mm F2

FE 35mm F1.8

FE 50mm F1.2 GM

FE 40mm F2.5 G

FE 50mm F2.5 G

Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA

Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA

FE 85mm F1.4 GM

FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS

FE 135mm f/1.8 GM

FE 85mm F1.8

FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS

FE 50mm F2.8 Macro

E 16-55mm F2.8G

Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS

E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS

E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE

E 16mm F2.8

E 20mm f/2.8

Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA

E 35mm F1.8 OSS

E 50mm F1.8 OSS

E 30mm F3.5 Macro

FE PZ 16-35mm F4 G

FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS

FE 600mm F4 GM OSS

SELP18110G

SELP18200

SELP18105G

SEL14TC

SEL20TC

SEL057FEC

SEL075UWC

Please be real, please be real, please be real, please be real, please be real, please be real, please be real.

On 9/3/2022 at 8:51 PM, Django said:

Yes, and that price puts it on par for competing against the GH6 and X-T4. 

But if it can do everything the FX3 can, then the FX30 should be a worthy competitor. 

Especially if they put NDs into the FX30! (but sadly I highly doubt that, even though I personally believe anything called "CineAlta" ought to have NDs!!)

On 9/4/2022 at 1:44 AM, Django said:

In the end, it probably won't convert FF Sony shooters but rather aimed at S35 FS5/FS7 users like myself that are used to the crop factor and have according lenses like the Sigma 18-35 etc.

Exactly! Not just FS5/FS7, but also people who are still holding onto the older F5/F55/FS700/F3. Then the FX30 would be fully compatible with all of their lenses, and it would give them an awesome B Cam for gimbal shots / car rigs / etc that the bulkier F55 etc cameras struggle badly at. 

Even big time Sony VENICE users would like the FX30! Plenty of people are still shooting with top notch S35 cine lenses on the VENICE, and the FX30 is great C Cam to match with the VENICE.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:52 AM, ntblowz said:

For few hundreds more you can get used A7S3 though for better image quality 🤔 but less MP for stills.

No timecode. 

And I think there is a codec / picture profile that the a7S lacks vs FX3? (specifically, S-Cinetone, which is a very big deal for some)

I think the a7Smk3 is still very slightly prone to overheating sometimes? While the FX3 (and FX30) would be rock solid reliable? (relatively speaking... honestly, I worked on a feature film using the FX3, and that overheated!!)

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

No timecode. 

And I think there is a codec / picture profile that the a7S lacks vs FX3? (specifically, S-Cinetone, which is a very big deal for some)

I think the a7Smk3 is still very slightly prone to overheating sometimes? While the FX3 (and FX30) would be rock solid reliable? (relatively speaking... honestly, I worked on a feature film using the FX3, and that overheated!!)

The big advantage of FX3/FX30 over A7SIII are the cine features with the last firmware update: Cine EI modes (big deal completely changes how you expose) LUT support & TC. Then you've got the cageless form factor.

Still no shutter angle or WFM like the R5C though.

Not surprised the FX3 overheated as its basically an A7SIII which we know overheats. Hopefully the smaller sensor inside FX30 means it will be less prone to overheating..

17 minutes ago, Django said:

Not surprised the FX3 overheated as its basically an A7SIII which we know overheats. Hopefully the smaller sensor inside FX30 means it will be less prone to overheating..

I'd have hoped the bigger body with active calling would have prevented the FX3 from ever ever overheating. But I guess not. 

• 3 weeks later...

Half of the price of the FX3! Very competitively priced vs Fujifilm X-T4 / X-H2 / Canon R7 / Panasonic S5 / GH6

I like this. 

Has IBIS, another good feature for such a lightweight camera. 

Hopefully should have low rolling shutter, from newsshooter.com: 

Back-illuminated technology places the metal wiring of the photodiode beneath the diode instead of above it. Back-illuminated sensors offer increased sensitivity and less noise.

The FX30 utilizes the same BIONX XR image processor that is found in the a7S III, FX3, and FX6. The processor is claimed to be able to read the sensor 3x faster than the a7S II and 2x faster than most traditional mirrorless hybrid sensors. This processor is claimed to be 4x faster than the one that was used in the FS5.

Unlike the FX3 which has a low megapixel count, the FX30 has roughly 66% more pixels, so it will be interesting to see if the sensor readout is as fast, and what the rolling shutter performance is like. Sony does claim that the readout speed is very fast and that the camera has minimal rolling shutter.

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Half of the price of the FX3! Very competitively priced vs Fujifilm X-T4 / X-H2 / Canon R7 / Panasonic S5 / GH6

I like this. 

Has IBIS, another good feature for such a lightweight camera. 

Hopefully should have low rolling shutter, from newsshooter.com: 

Gerald Undone tested the RS and found it to be reasonable (unlike previous Sony APSC offerings).

Seems like a good overall camera without any significant downsides, other than it potentially being a new system to buy into.

3 hours ago, kye said:

Gerald Undone tested the RS and found it to be reasonable (unlike previous Sony APSC offerings).

Noooo!

Then again, I watch it and he says:

1) better than any Sony FF stills camera?

2) better than any Sony APS-C stills camera!

So win-win? Even if the FX30 isn't as great as some others with its rolling shutter. 

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Noooo!

Then again, I watch it and he says:

1) better than any Sony FF stills camera?

2) better than any Sony APS-C stills camera!

So win-win? Even if the FX30 isn't as great as some others with its rolling shutter. 

To me, all cameras give with one hand and take with the other.  Those that have some great features pay with other features, and if they have a lot of great features then you pay with your wallet and probably with the size of it. 

In many ways the best camera is the one that is 7.5/10 in every category because then it doesn't have some 'fatal flaw'.  In that sense, the RS is fine - middle of the pack perhaps.  How I read something like that is that it's not going to be a problem, unlike if it was notably bad.

Love this FX3/FX30 body. Best of any mirrorless. But the dynamic range and roller shutter will definitely cause some limitations. Also, the lack of EVF is reflected in the price. I'm not sure it's a great deal, but it makes sense if you're a Sony shooter and need a B cam... 

But...this really undercuts the FX3. Too much of a price difference. If you're really on a tight budget, you'd just pick up two FX30s. If you have a bit of a higher budget, a FX6 and a FX30 makes a lot more sense instead of two FX3s. If you're a hybrid shooter, the A7Siii is a no brainer over the FX3.

Actually, all these mid-tier 4K "cinema" cameras all seem pretty overpriced now.