Sigma 0.71x aspherical focal recucer with ed glass

apefos

Sigma will enter the game of focal reducers for M43 and E-Mount.

They will have an aspherical design, also using extra low dispersion glass to improve edge sharpness.

The Sigma focal reducers will be 0.71x with 1 fstop increase in light.

Will be available in main mounts: Canon FD, Canon EOS EF, Nikon F or G, M42, MC/MD, OM, PK, Leica R, Yashica/Contax

Main problem of all focal reducers in market today is the edge blur, this is due to spherical lens design. Also some small amount of chromatic aberration is present. Sigma will solve these issues using aspherical lenses and extra low dispersion glass.

This is a rumor.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also, from what I understand, Metabones achieves this without edge softness (as opposed to the others who do). Not sure if theirs is also aspherical or not, but it'll HAVE to be priced lower to be competitive since they already are the brand name ruling the market.

Hopefully they will actually release an EF to MFT version, unlike Metabones.

From the mounts listed above, it sounds like they are likely sourcing the same blueprints that all the Chinese adapters are using for their focal reducers (Mitakon, RJ Camera, etc), and probably putting a higher quality optic inside. The EF mount is included in that list.

Don't get me wrong, Sigma makes some real quality stuff, it won't be as cheap as the RJ/Mitakon/no-name, etc ones. But that being said, I'm betting it will be a passive EF mount like the others that already exist. The hold up with Metabones is that they want to make an electronic version like their NEX mount (iris control, and possibly even IS and AF). I doubt Sigma would beat them to the punch on that, Metabones has experience adapting the electronics and interfacing with another camera mount, whereas Sigma does not. They'll probably just release another RJ/Mitakon/no-name ring adapter with better glass.

I would actually expect Sigma to be able to do an active version sooner than MetaBones. The holdup on the MB active SB seems like it's on the m4/3 side, as their EF-E version works fine. Sigma is a member of the m4/3 consortium, I'm assuming that means they have full documentation on the m4/3 electronic protocols. They also already make m4/3 lenses so they have direct experience with building for the system. Not to mention that their engineering and manufacturing capabilities are much larger than MetaBones'.

Please do not be angry... I invented this rumor, and also I do not have any contact with Sigma.

This is just possible to do, and Sigma is doing great job with aspherical and extra low dispersion glass, so they can do it.

The problem of all the focal reducers is the curvature of field, when the spherical lenses projects the image in a curved plane so the focus changes towards the edges. This can be solved with aspherical lenses. And the CA can be solved with extra low dispersion glass which avoids the RGB wavelengths to separate so much. The problem for small companies is to get ed glass and to grind or mold aspherical lenses, so maybe this is a game for the big boys like Sigma.

But who nows which are the interests of the consortiums... because great focal reducers can change lenses and camera sales.