GH4 in Yosemite - Super Weather Sealed!

Stephen Vincent Nguyen

Hello Everyone!

I'm a huge fan of this forum and I'd really like what Andrew has done for the Indie Filmmaking community. Anyway, here is a video I'd like to share with you all about my trip to Yosemite with the GH4. It was raining, snowing, and sunny in one weekend so I was very fortunate to catch all of those elements in such a short span of time!

As for the GH4, it was completely drenched in rain and snow and it still survived! I absolutely love this camera and I found it to be much more practical and enjoyable to shoot on than my BMCC and Pocket Cinema Camera. I can't wait to post my video review on this camera. I'll be comparing this to the 5D Mk. III Raw, BMCC, and Pocket Cinema Camera.

I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it, and any questions and feedback is welcomed! Thanks!

post-34725-0-64565700-1400779370_thumb.j

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is some of the best and most useful footage for evaluating the quality of this camera that I've seen so far. Any possibility of a download option? I'd love to test the source ungraded footage, but I certainly understand if you want to keep it private. 

Basically, if I got your 4k files that were recorded internally, converted them to HD float and could push them in lustre or Resolve w/o seeing heavy artifacts, especially in the shots that seem to have a full range of luma, from the long black shadows in those trees, to the white snow, I'm gonna put this camera back in the queue and you've erased my concerns. 

Thanks!

I appreciate the Yosemite link. It's good to see how the camera reacts to high info stuff like water as well as hi con like snow. That said, I mostly shoot dramas. Does anyone have links non - experimental narratives with a "natural" looking grade or even DR tests that focus on faces? My biggest concerns are natural full range flesh tones and a decent contrast range.

Thanks

This is some of the best and most useful footage for evaluating the quality of this camera that I've seen so far. Any possibility of a download option? I'd love to test the source ungraded footage, but I certainly understand if you want to keep it private. 

Basically, if I got your 4k files that were recorded internally, converted them to HD float and could push them in lustre or Resolve w/o seeing heavy artifacts, especially in the shots that seem to have a full range of luma, from the long black shadows in those trees, to the white snow, I'm gonna put this camera back in the queue and you've erased my concerns. 

Thanks!

Thank you so much for your consideration. I would love to send you some footage, but unfortunately I'm really backed up with work at the moment. Hopefully I can send you an ungraded clip for you to play with in the near future.

I appreciate the Yosemite link. It's good to see how the camera reacts to high info stuff like water as well as hi con like snow. That said, I mostly shoot dramas. Does anyone have links non - experimental narratives with a "natural" looking grade or even DR tests that focus on faces? My biggest concerns are natural full range flesh tones and a decent contrast range.

Thanks

Thank you so much for the compliment! I shot a few narrative films in the past few weeks with the GH4 so perhaps I can post my review soon to demonstrate how great this camera is even with narratives. I believe a gentleman by the name of James Miller has been able to master the settings of the GH4 to fully optimize its capabilities with DR and flat curves all around, go ahead and check him out on Vimeo.

Really great to watch - you captured some really nice footage there (it is a beautiful place which also helps!)  I like the way the slomo scenes look from the few I have seen from the GH4 - it is a nice effect.

I appreciate your kind words :) The 96 fps isn't as sharp as the 4k, but it certainly looks good even if you upscale despite the artifacting.

Thank you so much for your consideration. I would love to send you some footage, but unfortunately I'm really backed up with work at the moment. Hopefully I can send you an ungraded clip for you to play with in the near future.

That would be awesome, I need a camera for practical effects, your ungraded footage would be a really good test. I'd be willing to buy it too, with no intention to reproduce or use in any way, other than just testing in different grading tools, if that helps.  Thanks.

That would be awesome, I need a camera for practical effects, your ungraded footage would be a really good test. I'd be willing to buy it too, with no intention to reproduce or use in any way, other than just testing in different grading tools, if that helps.  Thanks.

No need to pay, I'd be happy to give you some footage once I get less busy. I'm curious to see your results as well.