"Canon is not happy with third party lens makers" is now officially confirmed

Eric Calabros

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Apparently Nikon is deciding which lenses 3 parties can license or not, basically only non competing lenses. Not a coincidence that these are ASP-C lenses. Not really open but better than Canon.

Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of the arrangement but there are certainly slim pickings when it comes to DX lenses in Z mount (although there are a number of them on the lens roadmap) so these Sigma lenses certainly fill a gap for Nikon to encourage sales of the two DX cameras.

Canon have the same issue with their RF-S range being small and exclusively fairly slow zooms so could also really do with these Sigma lenses for their R-50.

Looks like a triumph of pragmatism over ideology to me but, knowing my terrible prediction skills, Canon will now launch a raft of RF-S lenses next week 🙂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I could "defend" the latest RF camera releases all day long, the exclusivity and the general RF situation is quite terrible though...but..what drives the whole scene are the unlimited EF lenses in existence..they play the role of the "cheaper other"..I have at least a dozen EF (and -S) lenses home, without even owning a Canon until recently!

I did a research on some Tamrons that interest me, there is always a mention of lacking in AF speed, and why to adapt to a completely different manufacturer when I see differences between native RF and adapted EF to RF..even loosing another small percentage throws me back a few years in time of AF evolution, and that is the main thing, right? I mean, I have a BM Pocket, it has almost everything, in the old school sense, it is all about the AF in this new playground I believe..

On 2/23/2023 at 8:39 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of the arrangement but there are certainly slim pickings when it comes to DX lenses in Z mount (although there are a number of them on the lens roadmap) so these Sigma lenses certainly fill a gap for Nikon to encourage sales of the two DX cameras.

Canon have the same issue with their RF-S range being small and exclusively fairly slow zooms so could also really do with these Sigma lenses for their R-50.

Looks like a triumph of pragmatism over ideology to me but, knowing my terrible prediction skills, Canon will now launch a raft of RF-S lenses next week 🙂

If Nikon had IBIS in their APS-C cameras, and Sigma release their 18-50 f/2.8 for them, would sell a lot of both.