Travel Pocket Camera for Stills and Video

M100

Hi

I am looking for a camera that I could use when I travel to take pictures and videos for travel blog. I am waiting for GoPro 4 to record 4K video in various of environment. I want to have a small camera for stills. This camera will also capture stills from plane travels.

I was thinking about a GM1, because it takes a good video too, but GM1 was released more than half a year ago - maybe we will see GM2 soon. I've though about Nikon AW1 and A6000. The video quality is important, because 1080p is still good for now and it would be a backup camera. I 've had a G6 and 14-42, sold it. Now I want to buy camera, backup batteries, lens, polarizer and nd filter. 60% stills, 40% video*

*Of course it would be great if it could record 4k, but there is no reasonable camera that record 4k other than GH4, so I think more about a still camera for this moment. Maybe in the next few months i will see something recording 4K.

The idea is to record 4K via GoPro4 when it will be available and take stills from camera. What do you think of this idea? What would you recommend as a portable, endurable camera with a good lens ? What camera and lens? I prefer mirrorless and looking to spend up to max ~800 euro for camera and lens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a GM1.  With a 14mm pancake is weights practically nothing.  So, not only does it fit in your pocket, but it doesn't weigh it down, like just about any other camera.  For photos, it will be better than the GoPro, and for photos, an APS-C size camera like the A6000 would be better than the GM1 (though again, will be heavier, bigger).

Pictures don't do the small size of the GM1 justice.  At first, I found it a bit difficult moving the dials, but I've figured it out and now I find the camera very easy to operate.  

Andrew can speak better to this, but the GM1 1080p is close to what I see in 4K downsampled.  If sharpness is your thing I believe the GM1, for video, will be better than the A6000 because the sensor is smaller, and pixels closer together.  However, color depth, shallow DOF and low-light will be better with the A6000.  Only you can choose the trade-off.  Physically, it is impossible for any camera to be as small as the GM1 and have a bigger sensor ( at least now).

What really makes the GM1 a camera that I find difficult to part with is the silent shutter.  It is truly SILENT.  Because it is doing a kind of sensor dump, you can get banding, or the jello effect in certain high movement situations.  If you want to shoot anything in stealth mode than, to me, there is NO OTHER option but the GM1.  I have tons of cameras, none of them shoot silently.  I have found this feature a lot more useful than I expected.

Also, the remote control of the camera through a smart phone is fantastic.  If you want to narrate anything to the camera, you just connect to your phone, wirelessly, then focus the camera on you (using your cellphone screen) and hit record from your phone.  I believe the A6000 does this too.  I can report that the Panasonic works near perfectly for me.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, maxotics.

I am also considering "effective resolution". Using very simple words = the picture which I make today won't be in a good resolution after a few years. I am trying to have as big resolution as I can. What could you say about effective resolution of camera today and in the future few years - for example A6000 vs GM1?

I was thinking about Olympus, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Sony or Nikon mirrorless camera.
Is there a good Olympus or Fuji camera comparable to GM1?

I've read that the RX100 III and other compact cameras aren't as good as mirorless - is it correct?

Maxotics, i would like to buy one lens, due to costs.
would you recommend getting:
a. gm1 kit + pencake 14mm

b. gm1 + kit lens

c. gm1 + ( what lens )

PS: Are you using any filters of tripods on GM1?

Personally, I value dynamic range over resolution.  So I'd rather have a RAW-based image over any of those cameras, including the GH4.  However, RAW is a lot of work, so I have a GM1 now.  I doubt I would see much difference in the video from it, and the G6 you had.  I doubt I could tell the difference in any of those cameras in 95% of all the shots you might do.

I have NEVER heard anyone say they wouldn't watch a video or film because the resolution was too low.  I enjoy trying out new cameras, and comparing their differences, but I recognize it's a cretinous hobby.  It's something to do when procrastinating work.  When I go out to shoot, honestly, I don't care what camera I have.  In fact, whenever I look at photos or video I took a few years ago I can't remember, for the life of me, what camera I used!  Sometimes I see it in the EXIF info.

What kind of travel blog do you want to shoot?  Even if money is no object, you'll always have to make many compromises.

I want to take photos of interesting places, especially landscape = hdr, photos at night, panoramas and aerial photos etc. Blog about interesting places to visit in my area.
Video from a tripod or gorilla mount and slider.

So, what would you recommend as a good RAW-based image camera? GM1 with kit lens?

RAW-based would either be the Blackmagic pocket Cinema Camera or a Canon running Magic Lantern.  You don't want RAW.  I was just making a point that there is no end to the kind of perfection you can go after in video.  Resolution is just one aspect.

If you're going to do photos as night I'd recommend a larger sensor, so the a6000 would be better (or most APS-C).  But again, micro-four-thirds is small/lighter.  

Why did you get rid of your G6? Why do you think a GM1 would be a replacement for the G6? A GM2 is not coming out soon. And I think I can safely say that a more reasonably priced, full-featured 4K camera than the GH4 will not be hitting the shelves in the next few months. Maxotics and I have been through this before- I love my GM1, but it has far too many drawbacks as a primary video camera, two of them being the lack of a viewfinder and swiveling monitor. That means shooting in bright light is a pain. ND filters are more difficult to come by (impossible to find in Thailand or Vietnam, anyway). It is very unstable with longer lenses. It can't be mounted directly to a tripod or shoulder rig without some sort of spacer. It can only shoot a half hour or so of video on a single battery. You can't manually focus the kit lens (well, unless you call the slider in the LCD a focusing aid). It doesn't have slow motion or 60fps. No hotshoe and microphone jack. No weathersealing. And on and on... Like I said, I wouldn't part with it for the world, but I wouldn't have it as my one and only camera.

Absolutely agree.  My GM1 is a throw in the pocket camera.  I really need an EVF so am going to sell it.  The only thing I can see missing with the GM1 is the silent shutter.  M100, again, i want to say, at least for me, part of my trying out different cameras is just middle-age amusement.  My time is better spent reading "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum.  Or paying for a month or two of Lynda, and watching Photoshop and shooting tutorials.  I assume you're a young person.  This is a place to rebel and shoot with whatever camera you can get someone to give you!  Or, if you don't know why you need it, you don't!

@maxotics Am I understanding you correctly - YOU... ARE... SELLING... your GM1?? The GM1 with the SILENT shutter? haha... what gives? Lynda is pure awesomeness, her voice turns me on, but come on now... seriously though, she has the best FCP tutorials on the Web. If you want to throw away your lifetime savings, I can PM you with my bank account number. I agree with you 100% (I think!): the OP would probably do just as well buying any old camera (preferably used) and start their blog, rather than waiting for Panasonic to release the GM2 4K... 

/edit/you lost me at first with your throw-in-the-pocket camera. those short, horizontal lines really help! ;)

I really need an EVF so am going to sell it.

"Loupe" it when you need it.  Works.

At any rate, I didn't buy the GM1 because of the image quality, even though it's pretty awesome.  I bought it 'kuz it's the right size to be a stealth camera for documentary shooting.  (also a good flying cam)  That's what lead me to the GM1.  The fact that it grabs superior video to a lot of cameras was a great bonus.

It's a good camera size that fits it into a very useful niche for some of us.  If you fall into that category the value is awesome.

"Loupe" it when you need it.  Works.

Don't get me wrong, the GM1 is an AWESOME camera.  I have a loupe, which I used with the EOS-M, but it's a bit bulky to carry.   I want to fall into that category, but I keep shooting more photo than video.  I am worried about selling it because if I do want a "stealth video camera" nothing will beat it.  If I get the a6000 to replace it, I can more easily use the same lenses on both the a7 and that.  However, the a6000 will be bigger and softer in video.  Small size and weight are important to me.  @Fuzzynormal it is a really tough decision.  I put the camera up for sale and then took it down.  So, I say I'll sell it, but haven't ;)  Oh the pain, the pain! :)  There is no camera like it.

Thank you all for your replies :-)

There are three options - I would like to know a set with lens to compare few things.
What would you recommend as a first good lens for travel if you had only camera body?
1) for A6000
2) for GM1
3) for GH4

Thank you all for your replies :-)

There are three options - I would like to know a set with lens to compare few things.
What would you recommend as a first good lens for travel if you had only camera body?
1) for A6000
2) for GM1
3) for GH4

Depends what you like.

With the GM1 or GH4 you can fit a couple of native lenses into the space you might fit one for the A6000.

Most of the m43 kit zooms are actually not that bad and add a 45mm 1.8 for portraits and a 12mm f2 for a wide angle or even a 17mm or 20mm.    Lots to choose from.

Maybe the 10-18 f4 for the A6000 plus a 50mm .

If you are considering a GH4 or A6000 size wise, I don't understand why you would not consider the GX7.     It is everything the GM1 is and more other than it (GM1) is smaller.

Wait a second - the OP wrote they want to spend around 800 euros - so why are we even talking about the GH4? We are going around in circles here... Why does the OP seem to think there are only three options, when there is a fourth very practical one, suggested by maxotics? And we still don't know why the G6 wasn't good enough... The actual difference in body weight between that and the GM1 is in fact just a few ounces and the former is much more suited to both video and stills.

Thanks,

G6 was great "but too big" to fit in the pocket - it's sized more like GH4.
I've also heard about GX7 and GM1 coming with new sensor, so I've sold the G6.
Then there was a GM1 and GX7 official premiere.

jonpais

GH4 is on the list because it's the only camera that record 4K that I know.
4k recording beats bigger weight and bigger size but it will cost 3 times more.
I am looking for something other than GH4 for know, but it's still on my list
( it just cost a lot )
It's more like I would like to record 4K for 800 euro - currently quite impossible,

so I am now looking to buy a good stills camera cheaper than GH4 for travels but still good to use as a backup camera when I will finally buy the GH4 : )

Thanks for lens suggestion noone

I've though that mirrorless has an advantage of a lens change but ...

now I don't know if it is really needed. Maybe it's good to have a small camera with one good lens than having a mirorless with one lens.

Due to yours replies, I am now looking more to
RX100 III and similar

A5000 ~20/35/50mm or A6000 ~20/35/50mm
GM1 or GX7 ( prefer GM1 due to size and price - I don't think i would use GX7 functions more )

I sold my GH3 after getting a GM1. The GM1 quality is very good, and its size makes it very portable.

I mainly film home videos with some occasional photos.

Really the two features I wish it had was an EVF (as i use reading glasses) and better image stabilisation (the one in the kit lens is not that good).

I sold my GH3 after getting a GM1. The GM1 quality is very good, and its size makes it very portable.

I mainly film home videos with some occasional photos.

Really the two features I wish it had was an EVF (as i use reading glasses) and better image stabilisation (the one in the kit lens is not that good).

And one reason the GM1 would really benefit from IBIS is that it is so awkward holding it at arm's length while trying to view the non-tilting/non-swiveling LCD. Whenever the GM2 arrives, a swiveling monitor would be very welcome. A pop-up EVF like on the Sony RX100 MkIII as well. 

Yep. that pop up EVF on the Sony looks fantastic.

I wish they had of used Power OIS instead of Mega OIS on the 12-32 kit lens. Perhaps that would have made it better. Actually I wonder if the Vario 14-42 PZ lens would be a better option as it has Power OIS.