Help to choose camera

wolf33d

Hi, 

I am in photo and video since a few years and I had a lot of cameras : fuji XE1, XPRO1, canon 5D2, ... 

Since a few months I have nothing, and I watch the market which is changing a lot and want to invest in a system for a long time (lenses, accessories, ...) because I am tired to change everything each time. 

I am gonna give you what I shoot, and then my pros/cons for each and then you can tell me your point of view ?

So I shoot 50% stills (Mostly landscapes and portraits). Exemples of shots : http://500px.com/loup_f

What I basically need as lense is a  or 16-35 (full frame) for landscapes and a 85mm for portrait for exemple. 

And 50% videos. My videos are only travel videos. When I go somewhere, I shoot and make a video of the trip. 

For exemple, my last trip in California : 

As you can see, I do a lot of timelapses (with the same lens as the landscape stills one) and basic shoot of people and streets (for exemple the 16-35 at 35mm would be fine, or with a 50mm). 

I also do paragliging and sports, so here it's a bit special. I use the gopro but wouldn't mind using the body in the air (lens with IS necessary here). 

Also, I like to spend time on edit. So I like the RAW possibilites. 

Now about the cameras: 

I just purchased a 5D mark III used. I made a good deal (200eur under normal used price) and I have it with the 24-70 that I don't like (not wide enough, not long enough, not fast enough (2.8) so I prefer primes^^). 

If I invest for the 5DIII I am going to buy : a sturdy carbon tripod, a glidecam, the new 16-35mm f4 IS just released (for landscapes and video), and a cheap 85mm 1.8 for portraits, ND filters, canon flash and so on. So as you see I don't want to buy all of this and then have to sell everything in 6 months because A7S is much better ... 

My dilema is : 

Should I keep 5DIII invest in what I said or just use it with the 24-70 2 months and then sell it and go for A7S ? 

My pros and cons : 

5DIII pros: 

-RAW for video : big pro for me

-Cheap lenses used (yes not the new 16-35 which will be 1199 like the sony one) but for exemple 270 for the 85mm. 

-pro body, resistant, nice to handle

-price and value: got it for 1800 used / A7S is gonna be 2500 because no available used. Not a new body so value is going down slowly now. 

5DIII cons: 

Big and heavy for travel 

No cool slowmotion (FHD 60fps and 120 fps like A7S, I use a lot slowmo) 

Dynamic range

A7S pros:

size - wheight : big pro for me

slow motion : big pro for me

DR for landscapes : way better than 5D here

A7S cons:

New body so pay full price and value is going down quickly

No Raw video 

Lenses price : they are new only, the 85mm will be like 1500usd ... So a bit shitty. 

Conclusion

For photo they are both fine (slight edge for A7S with DR for landscapes and timelapses) 

For video 5DIII has raw advantage and A7S has slowmo ( I don't use external 4K)

A7S has size advantage and 5DIII has price advantage (due to the fact I got it used, and lens used as well)

For future, for the moment I trust more in investing canon system (for exemple when 5D4 is out I get it and keep the rest) as Sony is changing system all the time like crazy. But I might be wrong. 

Sometimes I tell myself I should just get the sony RX100 III (slow mo, 24-70 5 axis IS, ...) such a convenient camera. But I am affraid it is only a "compromise" and will be frustrated by results (lack of bokeh, dynamic range for timelapses, no ultra wide angle...)

So according to my conclusion and use what do you think ? 

Thanks for reading

• 4 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs