Bell & Howell 16mm Anamorphic Lens

QuickHitRecord

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am very interested in modding my iscorama in this fashion to reduce radius needed to focus close to infinity. I don't really understand how it was done, a whole new front housing?

Yes. I screwed the original front housing off, and then screwed the new one on. I moved the diopter and the retaining ring from the old housing to the new one. I'm no machinist, but if you think about it, it's really nothing more than a tube with some angled ridges machined into it, like this:

Lead_and_pitch_in_screws.png

I see. Supervising the modification of an iscorama in this fashion is over my risk tolerance! plus I want to keep mine light as I like using it handheld without rails. Pulling focus is do-able across %75 or so of the range in the current state, I guess that'll do.

Well done again, this is a fantastic discovery. If you ever find the time and inclination to make these up for sale, I'll be first in line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, raf702 said:

I assume the final rendition of the mod wasn't finished? I'm interested if someone has a completed working push/pull mod for this. 

I sanded down the inner thread of the focus unit to achieve a sliding, push/pull focus type method. If you can get used to it, it's far better than turning it forever in its original state.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Copoeru said:

I sanded down the inner thread of the focus unit to achieve a sliding, push/pull focus type method. If you can get used to it, it's far better than turning it forever in its original state.

Gabriel, how difficult was it to sand down? Did it require simply removing focus unit by unscrewing the two screws? And finally did you put some sort of stopping screw to make sure it doesn't fall off at closest focus? Thanks!

It was actually done by a machinist. You would need some precision tool to do it. You unscrew the unit by removing the two small screws. After that i put them back. If I want close focus, I unscrew them again and try to be really careful. Make sure you remove the diopter when trying to modify the front unit. If you live in the States, though, I'd suggest you research getting a new front focus unit designed entirely, like I've seen someone try to sell here. It might be worth it.

6 hours ago, Gabriel Copoeru said:

It was actually done by a machinist. You would need some precision tool to do it. You unscrew the unit by removing the two small screws. After that i put them back. If I want close focus, I unscrew them again and try to be really careful. Make sure you remove the diopter when trying to modify the front unit. If you live in the States, though, I'd suggest you research getting a new front focus unit designed entirely, like I've seen someone try to sell here. It might be worth it.

Ah, I see.  Yeah that didn't seem like something you could do with household tools haha.  Thank you for the detailed description.  Yes I've read the threads about using a helicoid, might be worth a try if I could find someone here in the states to do it.  

• 6 months later...

i'm wondering if a geared follow focus could make this anamorphic more usable.  I would think a high gear sort of setup could give you single turn on the FF.  IDK.  Considering picking one of these up.  Love the flares.  The modification may  be a bit too much effort/cost considering the single focus adapters out there.

Would it cover 75mm on S35 then?  If cropped to 2.39/1 anyone have an idea how wide you could get?

2 hours ago, froboy88 said:

i'm wondering if a geared follow focus could make this anamorphic more usable.  I would think a high gear sort of setup could give you single turn on the FF.

A large follow focus design like this would reduce the throw.

There's a lot more info on the B&H in this thread. The short version of my mod (based on QuickHitRecord and Rich101's great work), uses a helicoid with 14mm travel distance, resulting in a throw of about 135 degrees.  My long version, a helicoid with 31mm travel, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 330 degrees.  Have you watched Tito Ferradans' review of this lens?  He talks about full frame coverage.  As Rich101 has said, this lens is best suited for camera MFT sensors.

Cheers,

|. . | .|