Sony vs. Others (Equipment)

tokyojerry

Hi Andrew!  Greetings.  I enjoy reading the articles you present in EOSHD and, as such, just signed up to participate in your forums.  I am not such a professional or advanced user of photographic equipment, but, on the other hand, I also am not completely ignorant either.

One aspect of your site I take notice of is having dedicated menu items specific to GH2.  Does this mean you have a 'slant' towards the GH2 as a camera, or prefer micro four thirds equipment?  I owned (and since sold) both a GH1 and a GH2.  One of the turn offs on the GH2 was that although it could shoot HD video at 60fps it was 1080i rather then 1080p.  There are other issues too, but that was one.  I have since switched to Sony gear and in generally am happier with it as opposed to my experiences with the Panasonic gear.  Sony has a larger APS-C sensor size, BSI technology incorporated into their sensors, and I like the general design and handling in operation.  Even the new Nikon D800 employes Sony's 36MP sensor as OEM so I understand.    I currently own the Sony Alpha A65. I have the kit lens 18-55mm but have not used it since purchasing.  I bought the Tamron 18-270mm as a more practical lens for just about the same size and weight.  I also have Sony's 35mm f1.8 which I keep around when I need to shoot in lower lighting conditions.

Do you have any opinion on it versus the MFT equipment from Panasonic?  I am thinking to consider full frame from Sony later on when they eventually release the rumored A99.  For more compact shooting conditions and easy to carry daily,  I am thinking about a Sony NEX model with a pancake lens in lieu of my currently owned HX30V compact P&S. 

Hope you can provide me with some guidance here. 

Cheers,
Jerry
Tokyo, Japan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs