jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's me testing and explaining the profiles I'm developing

Zuiko 21mm f2 @ f5.6

ISO2000

password is test

Thanks for sharing! Trying to wrap my head around all of the picture profile options available in the C100 has been daunting for me.

Anyone else using Film Convert in conjunction with their C100 shooting? 

Yes, I use it but alongside other colour correction, not on its own.

Log is the widest dynamic range mode, but the gamma is so shunted it can end up quite anaemic.If you don't get skin at just the right exposure point, you can end up in trouble, things can look dead

Wide-DR is great...

Basically you combine and gamma with any colour matrix, then edit that matrix also...

Except Canon log. For some reason you can't use Canon Log with a different matrix. But you can edit the log mitrix.

You can however use Cine 1 gamma with Log matrix and so on.

The best way to grasp is to spend a lot of time experimenting. I must be up to about 20 hours of playing with it, and I feel I'm getting there

Let me clarify:

Clog requires very very tight workflow in post to actually get the benefit. The slightest deviation or screw-up and you're defeating the point and likely getting a worse result than shooting Wide DR or Cine.

Also, even once you do nail the workflow, you still end up with a lot more codec noise if you're trying to squeeze and unpack a scene with very high dynamic range, so you don't get a "free lunch".  You have to deal with super whites perfectly and use the LUT in a smart way. Sometimes levels need setting pre-LUT anbd so on, depending on setup level.

As it is, I use for emergency more than continuous use. Wide DR is a better starting point most of the time. Log is there if you need it, but with AVCHD it's tough to get the most out of, without a strange looking result. I'm sure with a Ninja it's quite different.

There's a lot of videos knocking around that are very flat with weird over saturated colours... That's not a look I'm into for the most part

Interesting!

They probably could have flattened the GH4 a lot more, since you could push shadows up and highlights down more. As it is it's very contrasty at the settings used here.

Essentially the same method is being used to get 1080p, just that C100 does it in camera, GH4 you do it yourself in post.

GH4 appears a lot sharper than red or Alexa even at low sharpness to me, I'm not sure if that's a positive though... Maybe it will be once we all have 4K screens.

GH4 looks sharper, however C100 still leads in DR (look at how easily the highlights blow out in the clouds of the GH4 shots). Then again, I'm not quite sure this is a very fair test (although that would be quite a challenge considering the different log formats, crop factor, etc.)

My favourite was the C100 + Ninja in this particular test, though as I say, I think they could have got more dynamic range from the GH4, but here GH4 looks really sharp and contrasty and is blowing out all over the place with very hard clipping.

I do like the way the C series record super whites, you can setup levels to record a quite a lot of detail over to pull back if needs be, that's a way to great rollofs

GH4 looks sharper, however C100 still leads in DR (look at how easily the highlights blow out in the clouds of the GH4 shots). Then again, I'm not quite sure this is a very fair test (although that would be quite a challenge considering the different log formats, crop factor, etc.)

True, it is not very fair/scientific and we have to account for Vimeo's/Youtube's compression artifacts but from all the footage I've seen I'm too under the impression that GH4's dynamic range is below C100/C300 (12 stops). Considering the Panny sensor is rated at 12.8 stops for RAW stills, that may translate into 11-11.3 stops for video, which would be quite alright if handled properly.

• 3 years later...

@jgharding When you say that you "switched to VisionColor" do you mean that you have a VisionColor Profile for your C100? I purchased the EOS VisionColor profile from VisionColor's web site but I can't get it to load on my C100. I'm seeing remarks online that the profile isn't compatible with the C100. : ( 

Is there another "VisionColor" profile that I'm missing somehow? Thanks for any help you can provide...I'm stumped!