Magic Lantern Raw Video for Canon DSLRs

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone using RawMagic 1.11 (paid) yet?

EDIT: I've downloaded it and run a quick test. The app is quite fast compared to the other conversion tools that I have used, and it now incorporates vertical stripe correction (important for 5D footage), automatic audio sync in Resolve (HUGE time saver), and the Cinema DNG files that it creates are 12-bit and therefore quite a bit smaller. In my view, this really is the final missing piece to ML raw shooting.

• Administrators

Good news is the latest version works with MLV! (For audio, metadata, etc.)

I found it buggy but there's an update being reviewed on the App Store right now which should make it more stable with MLV.

Does this reliably remove the vertical stripe/pattern noise from MLV?  I really like the beta version and have been using it exclusively since last year.  I'd really like to know if it's reliable before paying for it.  Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Guys,

I'd like to ask about ML with RAW for firmware 1.2.3 on 5D MK III. As I understand correctly, now it's possible to upgrade to this new ML build by first upgrading Canon firmware and then running ML. It also means that the boot flag issue is resolved and one can uninstall ML without a trace.

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

dag 

Does this reliably remove the vertical stripe/pattern noise from MLV?  I really like the beta version and have been using it exclusively since last year.  I'd really like to know if it's reliable before paying for it.  Thanks for the heads up!

The latest version (1.1.2) corrects vertical banding.

Hi Guys,

I'd like to ask about ML with RAW for firmware 1.2.3 on 5D MK III. As I understand correctly, now it's possible to upgrade to this new ML build by first upgrading Canon firmware and then running ML. It also means that the boot flag issue is resolved and one can uninstall ML without a trace.

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

dag 

I haven't done the update yet myself (as of a month ago, it was still a little buggy), but that's what it's supposed to do.

OK great I'll download it this weekend.  I still have lots of ML Raw footage to process.  Just been working on my new GH4 recently...

whats your setup as far as GH4 footage, and 5dIII raw footage?

I have a 5dmark iii w/ raw, and just obtained a GH4, and I was curious about how my setup will be going forward -- in terms of color grading, workflow (prores conversion etc)

I do all native edits for GH4 MOVs in Premiere Pro.  No transcoding or ProRes conversion necessary.  You could if you want real-time effects, but I find it a waste of time.

5D RAW is a real resource hog.  RAW or MLV conversion to Cinema DNG is really time consuming, and then having to convert that with Davinci into ProRes takes forever.  I haven't tried any of the other conversion methods since I haven't touched my RAW files in months.  Really, the only thing I love about RAW is the 14-bit color.  Just amazing color depth.

So far I'm really loving my GH4.  And the color is there, although not on the same level as RAW.  However, you can get it close if you make your in-camera settings close to what your final look will be.  That also goes for contrast/black levels, and white balance.  There's more CC grading ability with the GH4, but it still is an 8-bit codec.

I'm trying to change things up since I really like Davinci's tools.  Also, Davinci works better with GH4 files.  I didn't like how it graded GH3 files so I never used it, but now it works really well.  So I'm going to do my edits in Premiere Pro, then export to Davinci for final CC and export.

Hi,

I will be shooting a project using ML raw in few weeks and wanted to get a bit of advice on workflow.

I will be shooting on my 5D Mark 2 and Lomo BAS 80mm. :)

I have just bought a 32GB Lexar 1000x CF card, and am going to buy the Lexar UDMA 7 reader to go with it. Any thoughts? I've always used Lexar cards and had no issue.

Any advice on workflow, ML settings, conversion tools etc.

I am going to shoot mostly in 4:3.
Then for close shots, maybe just as high res as possible. Then desqueeze and crop to suit after. (lens is closer to 1.6x squeeze factor when at min focus). How do you guys approach this?

I have used ML before but not for a while, and never with raw. Ive heard the workflow can be a bit of a pain. So any advice you think might help me is more then welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi -

I 've been following the forum closely but haven't been posting.

I have a problem I could use help with. I'm shooting with Magic lantern Raw (not MLV) on the 5d111. Using the Nov 25 build. I just completed one day of a music video shoot and all the files are coming through Raw Magic with only the magenta info. During the shoot we checked files in File Manager and they were playing back in full color. I've been using Magic Lantern for awhile and this has never happened. The first part of the shoot was fine except for one corrupted file that was too long and ran off the end of the card. The only thing I can think that changed was going from the canon batteries to a battery pack - which doesn't seem like it would be an issue? I know people have posted some code fixes - I'm not a programmer but would be game to try something if I could get some how to instructions.

Thanks for looking at this!

Toni 

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed one day of a music video shoot and all the files are coming through Raw Magic with only the magenta info.

Are you are talking about the latest paid version of RawMagic (1.1.2)? If so, make sure NOT to check the "16 bit CinemaDNG Output" box. I hear that people have been experience the issue that you are describing when they do.

Anyone speculating that the ML raw workflow is difficult needs to take a look at the two apps above.

I've been using a lot of different cameras recently so I haven't stayed up to date with ML Raw. What do the two programs you mention bring in terms of workflow improvements? I used the RawMagic beta and Resolve 10 a lot at the beginning of the year on a couple of projects.

What do the two programs you mention bring in terms of workflow improvements?

The new RawMagic automatically merges all spanned .R00 files and incorporates vertical stripe correction as it churns out CinemaDNG files, which are automatically linked to their corresponding WAV audio files when opened in Resolve. And now with Resolve 11, you can do your entire edit with your raw CinemaDNGs and then go directly to grading, no proxies necessary. Convert files, then edit, then grade -- this is about five fewer steps than it was a few months ago!

• 2 weeks later...

What is the main difference between raw magic lite and the paid version? The free version has worked great for me so far, but I have a paid shoot coming up in a few weeks and I was wondering if the paid version is essential. I'm not worried about the 30 bucks so I will probably buy it regardless just curious. 

Are you are talking about the latest paid version of RawMagic (1.1.2)? If so, make sure NOT to check the "16 bit CinemaDNG Output" box. I hear that people have been experience the issue that you are describing when they do.

Hi - Thanks for the tip. I was having the pink frame issues with Raw lite on my laptop (?), but on my tower it was happening with both versions . Now it's working fine with Raw lite 1.1.3 and with Raw paid 1.2 but only with 16bit checked - if I don't check it, I get pink frames. Files converted with Raw lite look the same and are the same size as files converted with 16 bit checked in Raw paid. I have no idea what changed that would have made raw lite suddenly give me pink frames - I wondered if the paid version could have reset something as I used it first when the pink frame thing happened. I updated my operating system in the midst of this for other reasons and I don't know how that may have affected things - so I'm now Mavericks on the Mac. I also noticed that checking the vertical stripes correction changes the black curve and you get a lighter, brighter image that looks like it may be smoothed out as well. I only tested that with the Raw paid 1.2. For now I've gone back to Raw lite 1.1.3.

I also find that RawMagic to DaVinci to FCPx has been a very straightforward workflow. I'm just about to test DaVinci 11. It would be great to do it all in one place.

I posted this in another thread, but thought that it might be helpful to those reading this thread as well:

There are irritating things about the shooting raw on narrative projects with the 5D3. I have been systematically attacking them to make this a more usable camera. Here are the major ones, and how I am dealing with them:

1. CF cards. I bought a Komputerbay 1066x 256GB card. It hit my wallet, but this way I can get 48 minutes of raw 1080P, and this is plenty for me. No corrupted frames so far. I don't even think about it anymore.
  2. Batteries. I have a handful of Canon LP-E6s. They are so-so in terms of battery life. For shooting with a larger rig or tripod, I bought one of these to power both my camera and my SmallHD monitor simultaneously: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161336168920
  3. Lack of flip-out LCD or viewfinder. Shooting with a loupe (in my case a Kinotehnik LCDVF) and a pistol grip is freeing, comfortable, and very battery-friendly. There are also solutions like this:http://www.bhphotovi...EG&Q=&A=details
  4. Workflow. RawMagic 1.21 is a breeze to work with. It removes vertical stripes automatically, joins spanned files and syncs audio, and it does it FAST. Thomas Worth is always improving it, so there have been frequent updates in recent months.
  5. Storage space. I'm still working on this one. I am experimenting with CineLog in Resolve to replicate Alexa Log-C as closely as possible, and then exporting the files as ProResHQ for the edit. If this works like I think it will, I won't have to hang on to the raw files anymore.