Lighting

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone tried/used the KIck light yet?

http://riftlabs.com/kick/

Not ideal, but looks like it could be a good small portable device to use - anyone?

That costs more than a 600LED panel with ten times the output, plus some gels. You could buy three small 300 LED panels for that and some gels.

The iOS control is the novelty that you're paying for, but if someone really needs a wirelessly controlled tiny light that does any colour, i suppose it's cool.

Personally i no longer use anything that demands iOS, because Apple are fickle and like to discontinue things. You can't discontinue plastic gels or white lights.

That costs more than a 600LED panel with ten times the output, plus some gels. You could buy three small 300 LED panels for that and some gels.

The iOS control is the novelty that you're paying for, but if someone really needs a wirelessly controlled tiny light that does any colour, i suppose it's cool.

Personally i no longer use anything that demands iOS, because Apple are fickle and like to discontinue things. You can't discontinue plastic gels or white lights.

I don't have an iPhone, so its a non-starter for me & it was really curiosity.

I need something that's good & portable - for when natural light just shits on your day!

Hey Luminaires,

I am designing a large (6ft dia) collapsible, lightweight Chimera type chinese lantern.

I am looking for a source of lightweight ripstop white diffuse nylon, must be light weight without colour cast. I want to purchase by the roll

Any ideas?

Thanks JG!

The mini par's look the business & small too, but i think your 2 for £500 is a little off.

Has anyone tried/used the KIck light yet?

http://riftlabs.com/kick/

Not ideal, but looks like it could be a good small portable device to use - anyone?

I picked up a dirt cheap one on ebay.

It flickers on anything higher than 1/50 shutter when on less than 100% power constant output and battery life is not great (only charges whilst USB power connected) The lens array and multi colour LED's inside causes multiple shadows unless heavily diffused.

It's a shame - as it had so much promise, but it fell at the final hurdle it seems. Cheap materials make for a squeaky plastic feeling product.

Saying that, it works for what I bought it for.

I use it for interactive effects lighting for effects work- such as gunshot/lightning flashes of actors faces/eyes etc. you can select decay on flash times to avoid rolling shutter, and it's size can be put anywhere. But I would never use it as a fill or kick light.

P.s - Plasma lights are the next thing, they will blow LED fixtures away when out on the market and prices settle down.

I picked up a dirt cheap one on ebay.

It flickers on anything higher than 1/50 shutter when on less than 100% power constant output and battery life is not great (only charges whilst USB power connected) The lens array and multi colour LED's inside causes multiple shadows unless heavily diffused.

It's a shame - as it had so much promise, but it fell at the final hurdle it seems. Cheap materials make for a squeaky plastic feeling product.

Had a feeling they looked too good to be true!

As JG pointed out, the whole iPhone thing made me wince a little.

What's the price you've found?

Like £800 for 2 (1 retails for $600) & google only came up with one retailer in uk.

http://www.prolightdirect.co.uk/ledz-mini-par-dual-kit-627.html

They do look the business though & would have saved me a few times recently, but some bigish reflectors would have too!

I'm a big fan of vintage fresnels... Mole Richardson, Ltm Pepper, Arri, etc. Rock solid reliable.
Hot as hell, though. And not so great with a BlackMagic pocket, as it's horribly susceptible to ir pollution. Caused some wtf? Moments with skin tones. Ir cut filter can help.

Built some diy-kino flo type lights. Cheap, cool to the touch, and no dicking around with diffusers. Not very much fun to source hi cri bulbs in Canada, though. I can transport a pair in a keyboard gig bag. Bit of a pain to mount on light stands. Look amazing on camera. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of vintage fresnels... Mole Richardson, Ltm Pepper, Arri, etc. Rock solid reliable.
Hot as hell, though. And not so great with a BlackMagic pocket, as it's horribly susceptible to ir pollution. Caused some wtf? Moments with skin tones. Ir cut filter can help.

Please explain: i use Arri 650 fresnels and never noticed IR pollution on the BMCC or BMPCC. 

Does anyone know of cheap option for single, portable, battery powered tube style lights?

Basically a battery powered fluro tube fixture that could be stuck on walls etc.

I am looking for some 2ft-3ft long, let me know when you hit paydirt

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, I am looking to use some hardware store fluro 24 inch fluro t8 ballasts, with film quality bulbs. Only issue is, all 24 inch lights are hardwire. Does anyone have any experience wiring these to a plug? is it hard?

Thanks!