Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Kamlan's 50mm f/1.1 has gotten a version II. First indeed was a bit of a novelty toy lens, but the seem to have stepped it up quite a bit.

Being offered now on: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kamlan/kamlan-50mm-f11-mk2-prime-lens-for-mirrorless-cameras

At the bottom of that campaign they've listed some 'social influencers' if you will, that have been given an early hands on, such as Dustin Abbott and Christopher Frost:

etc

13 hours ago, xzobinx said:

I blame @kye for this ?

IMG_1843.thumb.JPG.400cf6ef54a948baa571d1f259d3a6c5.JPG

You're welcome!!

I'm assuming they're all Russian lenses?  I think I can spot the Helios 44 and Mir 37 in there, but the rest aren't obvious to me :) 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Haha... it’s all part of the story. 

Confused and paranoid man with camera runs around at the seaside and accidentally becomes the saviour...  talk about trotting out the old cliches!!

10 hours ago, kye said:

You're welcome!!

I'm assuming they're all Russian lenses?  I think I can spot the Helios 44 and Mir 37 in there, but the rest aren't obvious to me :) 

Confused and paranoid man with camera runs around at the seaside and accidentally becomes the saviour...  talk about trotting out the old cliches!!

From widest to tightest 

Mir 20M-MC 20mm F3.5

Mir 24M 35mm F2

Mir 1B 37mm F2.8

Helios 44-2 58mm F2

Helios 40-2 85mm F1.5

For anyone who wishes to know the performance of this set, check out this short from Corridor.  

This is mine with the helios 58 

1 hour ago, xzobinx said:

From widest to tightest 

Mir 20M-MC 20mm F3.5

Mir 24M 35mm F2

Mir 1B 37mm F2.8

Helios 44-2 58mm F2

Helios 40-2 85mm F1.5

Nice collection, some ones in there I'm not too familiar with.  If you feel inclined I'm sure lots of people would appreciate seeing a video with some footage from each of them so people can make a bit of a comparison.  Extra useful if they're in the same lighting conditions.  If you're still in Melbourne then I'm sure an overcast or rainy day would have pretty consistent lighting, maybe you can get shots of Melbournites celebrating the climate of their home city by madly dashing through a downpour trying to avoid puddles :) 

I've got two Helios 58mm f2 lenses and the Mir 37mm f2.8 and found them to be quite different in character.  The Helios is pin sharp in the centre and falls away significantly, even when on MFT where you're only looking at the centre of the lens, whereas the Mir had a different character.  They also all change character from wide open to stopped down a couple of stops, so there's lots of variables going on.  

I was particularly excited to get the Mir because it is supposed to be apochromatic, and to its credit that did give it a different rendering, but I ended up going a different direction and have chosen the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8, which is not only faster but is also considered one of the sharpest lenses ever made (if not the sharpest).  I have no idea if that's true but it's not that typical vintage look!

I remember that video of the busker from when you posted it previously, it's nice work and the IQ is very nice.  I think many many people would be happy with the combination of the resolution and beefy codecs of the P4K through vintage glass that takes that modern sheen off it.

34 minutes ago, kye said:

Nice collection, some ones in there I'm not too familiar with.  If you feel inclined I'm sure lots of people would appreciate seeing a video with some footage from each of them so people can make a bit of a comparison.  Extra useful if they're in the same lighting conditions.  If you're still in Melbourne then I'm sure an overcast or rainy day would have pretty consistent lighting, maybe you can get shots of Melbournites celebrating the climate of their home city by madly dashing through a downpour trying to avoid puddles :) 

I've got two Helios 58mm f2 lenses and the Mir 37mm f2.8 and found them to be quite different in character.  The Helios is pin sharp in the centre and falls away significantly, even when on MFT where you're only looking at the centre of the lens, whereas the Mir had a different character.  They also all change character from wide open to stopped down a couple of stops, so there's lots of variables going on.  

I was particularly excited to get the Mir because it is supposed to be apochromatic, and to its credit that did give it a different rendering, but I ended up going a different direction and have chosen the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8, which is not only faster but is also considered one of the sharpest lenses ever made (if not the sharpest).  I have no idea if that's true but it's not that typical vintage look!

I remember that video of the busker from when you posted it previously, it's nice work and the IQ is very nice.  I think many many people would be happy with the combination of the resolution and beefy codecs of the P4K through vintage glass that takes that modern sheen off it.

I have to find the time to do it so can't promise anything atm. 

Your finding is similar to mine. I only use the 37 for the occasion shot and much prefer the 35 F2 for the same reason. Another issue with the mir 37mm is the big minimum focus distance. Not a deal breaker but can be annoying sometime.   

Here is a still from Mir 35 f2 

Untitled_2.1.1qwe.jpg