Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone had any experiences with the old Nikkor-H 85mm 1.8? I picked one up on the cheap recently but I'm not sure if it'll see much use for video, but I've been able to use it on EOS mount. I also picked up a Helios 44 (8 bladed) 58mm, and a Nikon 28mm 2.8 AI-s (which I really like)

Also how does one go about cleaning the insides of the bourne lens? 

Anyone had any experiences with the old Nikkor-H 85mm 1.8? I picked one up on the cheap recently but I'm not sure if it'll see much use for video, but I've been able to use it on EOS mount. I also picked up a Helios 44 (8 bladed) 58mm, and a Nikon 28mm 2.8 AI-s (which I really like)

Also how does one go about cleaning the insides of the bourne lens? 

​one of my Bourne lenses I got cheap as it had dust and the zoom was stuck ...so I sent it off to Bob Rigby Cameras in the UK - it came back like new ! clean glass and zoom works fine now .....so DONT TRY do it yourself - I one took apart a Stuck Nikon 18- 105 zoom ....took me all day to get it working again and at one point I thought I had lost all hope of ever putting it back together again......they luckily I remembered how one stage went back together ...phew !! ....it now works fine but not worth the stress!!   get your lens professionally looked at - it will last a life time then ........

Had some time for a quick test of my newly purchased Zeiss Jena 10mm f2.0. Its a C-Mount and didn't cost much on ebay. 

Could be nice on the Micro since its so small and relatively light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjrcSV5RyGo

Matthias, that is one sweet piece of Zeiss. My question is... Do you find the lens or the bolex has more to do with the look of that video? Did you do any grading? The reason I ask is because the video looks so filmic. I would almost believe it was film if you swore by it. Very nice. 

• Super Members

Matthias, that is one sweet piece of Zeiss. My question is... Do you find the lens or the bolex has more to do with the look of that video? Did you do any grading? The reason I ask is because the video looks so filmic. I would almost believe it was film if you swore by it. Very nice. 

It's graded and grain added to give a vintage feel.

But the lens definitely have a look to it and with this camera it is easy to get a "filmic" look. So I guess it's a combination. 

Unused kit clear out continues. I've decided to sell my Electric Set, my set of vintage Russian/German prime glass. 7 lenses with EF adapters on eBay here:

Vivitar 24mm 2.8

Panagor 28mm 2.5

Mir 1-B 37mm 2.8

Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8

Helios 44-2 58mm 2.8

Jupiter-9 85mm 2.0

Tair 11A 135mm 2.8

Blog post and some sample footage here.

What are these lens and what are they not? Well, they are not sharp like Master Primes. They are not a matched set. They are not a budgetcinegearringeddeclickedsuperset. But, in each of their own ways they have a fabulous character which brings loads to the party in terms of image quality. The exception to this is the Tair - this lens is a genuine rival for modern telephoto primes - crackingly sharp, long focus throw and marvelous bokeh.

Google around for info on the look of each lens or ask me questions here or through eBay.

It's graded and grain added to give a vintage feel.

But the lens definitely have a look to it and with this camera it is easy to get a "filmic" look. So I guess it's a combination. 

Well, it looks great. If I was a wealthier man I would pick up a digital bolex in a heartbeat. If they drop the price of the bmpcc this summer I am looking into those Zeiss lenses... Effing fantastic!!!

• Super Members

Well, it looks great. If I was a wealthier man I would pick up a digital bolex in a heartbeat. If they drop the price of the bmpcc this summer I am looking into those Zeiss lenses... Effing fantastic!!!

Yeah I still can't believe my luck on finding the only used D16 sold so far in Sweden (to my knowledge) and at a sweet price.

I now have the Zeiss 16/1.8 and 50/2.8 on the way as well.

• Super Members

Do you guys know of any EF lenses below 24mm that would be lightweight on the C100, for gimbal use? Preferably with continuous AF capabilities.

I had the Canon 10-18, very light (plastic) but pretty darn sharp for the price . And very affordable. 

I did a review. Note that there is Zero vignette on APS-C like the C100 with a normal amount of filters stacked.

https://youtu.be/T0wkW0q5gfE

Hi guys!

Just want to say what a great resource you all have been since I've owned my GH3. The lens that I bought when I purchased the camera was the Panasonic 25mm 1.4, and I've loved the lens. I've gotten a ton of use out of it. It sure was pricey, though.

Since then, I've wanted to increase my lens repertoire. About a month ago, I rented a couple of m43 lenses from borrowlenses.com; the olympus 45 and the 85mm. I LOVED the 45mm. It was beautiful, and I definitely considered purchasing it, but now I'm second guessing myself.

I am wondering if I might be better off purchasing a Speedbooster, either for an FD or Nikon mount. My reasoning is that if there comes a time that I move on from m43 to a full frame camera-- DSLR or whatnot-- it might make better sense for me to purchased some Canon or Nikon glass.

What is your all opinion on my conundrum. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

Yeah I still can't believe my luck on finding the only used D16 sold so far in Sweden (to my knowledge) and at a sweet price.

I now have the Zeiss 16/1.8 and 50/2.8 on the way as well.

Very nice. Are they all c mounts? If so, what other focal lengths did they make? I assume the bolex is a s16 sensor? With the 10mm, the 16mm and the 50mm you really only need a 25 or a 35 and you'll be set. Unless they make a 7.5mm?

Hi guys!

Just want to say what a great resource you all have been since I've owned my GH3. The lens that I bought when I purchased the camera was the Panasonic 25mm 1.4, and I've loved the lens. I've gotten a ton of use out of it. It sure was pricey, though.

Since then, I've wanted to increase my lens repertoire. About a month ago, I rented a couple of m43 lenses from borrowlenses.com; the olympus 45 and the 85mm. I LOVED the 45mm. It was beautiful, and I definitely considered purchasing it, but now I'm second guessing myself.

I am wondering if I might be better off purchasing a Speedbooster, either for an FD or Nikon mount. My reasoning is that if there comes a time that I move on from m43 to a full frame camera-- DSLR or whatnot-- it might make better sense for me to purchased some Canon or Nikon glass.

What is your all opinion on my conundrum. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

I, personally, love vintage glass... So I would go with the FDs but to be forward compatible you may want to go with the Nikon because they will adapt to any mount, making them essentially future proof depending upon what camera you go with but to get a really good set of Nikkor primes, you will probably spend a bit more than you would with the FDs. As long as you stay mirrorless, you can't go wrong with FD lenses. I have a set of the earlier FL, which is the same mount, and they are amazing. But, you could look into and M42 speedbooster and get a set of Takumar lenses... Great lenses, buttery smooth focus, the 50mm 1.4 should be in every filmmaker's arsenal, but even the 1.8 is a nice lens and the best part is the most common focal lengths are dirt cheap... like less than 50 bucks a lens in a lot of cases. The 1.4 will be about 75 but still if you use the lens, you would probably pay more, that's how good it is. 

Just picked up a Cosmicar 75mm 1.9 c-mount. I have heard some good things about the lens, has anybody ever used the lens?

I have the 12.5mm 1.9 and the 25.5mm 1.9 and they are both excellent. Right now I use them with my Pentax Q7 but I hope to have a BMPCC to use them on. 

• Super Members

Very nice. Are they all c mounts? If so, what other focal lengths did they make? I assume the bolex is a s16 sensor? With the 10mm, the 16mm and the 50mm you really only need a 25 or a 35 and you'll be set. Unless they make a 7.5mm?

No I buy many of them in something that would go on EF and cover a Fullframe just for future proofing. 

Also it's nice to put an ef adapter on the Bolex or NX1 to get a positive lock. And of course I can then use a bmpcc speedbooster if I buy the MFT mount.

But the 10mm and 16mm are C-mount. 

I already have a Zeiss 28mm and 35mm so the only one left before I would consider the Jena collection complete is a 20mm. But I might skip it and get the Fujinon 25/0.85.

Best part is that so far I haven't even spent $350 for 5 nice Zeiss Primes, got to love ebay :)

No I buy many of them in something that would go on EF and cover a Fullframe just for future proofing. 

Also it's nice to put an ef adapter on the Bolex or NX1 to get a positive lock. And of course I can then use a bmpcc speedbooster if I buy the MFT mount.

But the 10mm and 16mm are C-mount. 

I already have a Zeiss 28mm and 35mm so the only one left before I would consider the Jena collection complete is a 20mm. But I might skip it and get the Fujinon 25/0.85.

Best part is that so far I haven't even spent $350 for 5 nice Zeiss Primes, got to love ebay :)

Oh okay. I picked up the 50mm 2.8 a couple weeks ago after watching your 35mm Flektogon video and then, even though it was a budgetary stretch, I got a good deal on the 35mm too.

Great lenses.

The 50mm, I bought, has an aperture issue though... It works fine until I put it on an adapter and then it doesn't want to open. I figured the pin wasn't engaged, but my adapter is hitting it. I never really took a lens apart, but I figured I'd have a go of it, and maybe declick it while I'm in there. My 35mm is declicked, so I might as well have them match.

Do your lenses have similar iq's? I mean, does the c-mount Zeiss's iq blend well with the M42 versions?

Which 28mm do you have? I also saw they have a 29mm, I assume it is identical to the Pentacon 29mm.

I want a 20mm as well, but they are pricey... That lens would probably double the price of your Zeiss collection.